• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Practice Tip, Where is my Wobble Zone - Barricade

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TfZpP-hdeBY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a short video on practicing your stage positions on paper. Using paper I am able to identify my wobble zone easier than shooting steel.

I am looking for any consistency in my errors that I may be able to fix. Is it NPA, is it Wind, is it the support within my position ?

This video got me thinking & inspired me to take this idea to the limit. After watching middle of last week I contacted a friend of mine that's the match director of a "F" class type informal 1000 yard comp. about doing off it my barricade, he didn't really understand why but didn't have a problem with me doing so. Today I shot the 1000 yard match off my barricade picking out 4 positions & shooting the last support side also, The 1st 5 shots just the gun & nothing else I dropped 15 pts, (ouch. 5pts on support side 1/2 mil left of group), 2nd 5 shots 1 bag (gamechanger) dropped 4 pts., 3rd 5 shots 1 bag & tripod for rear support. dropped 5 pts. The last 5 shots any thing goes. dropped 8 pts. mostly due to wind getting progressively worse during the last relay that I drew. So 168 out of 200 (about 12 pts off max for that relay) really good info like Franks video was all about. the most fun I've had shooting that match in over 2 years. So get out there & give it a go. The looks you get make it all worth while, not to mention the great feedback I got on my weakest links the barricade & support side shooting.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^

Get out of your comfort zone !

You probably have very little problem shooting prone, getting off your belly and scoring your effort will open eyes, identify problems and give you a starting point to fix what you find.

The post above is a perfect example of doing it right, high marks.

What kind of red dot mount is that? I have a nf rap mount that I wish was lower and that thing looks pretty cool

I really like this approach! I started doing something similar this summer with 2" square paper targets at 100 yards for barricade practice since all of our long ranges were shut down because of fire hazard. The nice thing with paper targets as well is that they give you more info to pour over later (especially when shooting solo, as I often do) vs the more binary nature of steel, hit or miss.