• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pre 64 Winchester Model 70 or Remington 700 build

ringo2holliday

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2008
San Antonio, TX, USA
I was wondering if anyone could give me good feedback on a possible 243ai or 6mm-ai build for distance shooting... I have a pre 64 Winchester 70 in the standard 243 or a Remington model 700 bdl made in 1978. Both actions are in "like new condition" and I moving toward the 700 mainly because of the accessories available... but any thoughts on using the Winchester over the Remington? thanks for the help!

I have Remingtons and a Stiller. However, for me, the Rifleman's rifle pre-64 M70 is special. I wouldn't be able to build on it. It would feel sacrilegious to me. Maybe a Winchester Classic action but an actual pre 64... Remington's are great. For just $1-200 more you can get a Stiller, and these actions are just fantastic.

I know the feeling on the pre64, but I've been told that they make great builds and are extremely strong for ackley loads... I have two of them, one is a family gun that will stay original, for my lifetime at least, and the other was picked up on a trade. The traded one is the one i am considering. thanks for the input

I had a FN SPR action built in 308 several years ago and it was a very strong action. It is very reliable. The two actions that you're talking about are two totally different animals. One is a push feed action the other is a controlled feed. If you're in trouble i'd take a FN/Win pre '64 any day of the week, just because when you slam that bolt forward it doesn't matter if you're upside down, that round is going to roll up that feed ramp and into the action every time. Do the same thing with a 700 and you'll end up watching rounds fall out of your rifle. The Pre'64 is a proven action, so is the rem 700. So pull a quarter out and give it a flip. Personal preference too. The extractor claw is great too.

The only thing that you might run into is room, both of the cartridges that you're talking about may cause you clearance issues. Both are easier to manipulate in a long action.

xdeano

IMO the Pre-64 is a better action. I've had a Remington build, and currently have an FN action build. But what it lacks is the availability in aftermarket parts, but I have mine set up the way I want it.

Winchester all the way!!
I have builds on both Remington and Winchester. One of my Winchesters is the smoothest and most accurate of the bunch.
Might I suggest doing a 6.5X55 Swede? Better down range energy, Lapua brass is ready availible and affordable, and easy load development. Check it out.

If not, I'd be interested in the action if you don't use it. :).
Good luck!