• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

precision Ak???

blasteraddict

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2014
Hey y'all i got a saiga 7.62x39....its a great gun and i love it...UNTIL i group it and see a 4 inch group at 40 yards. YIKES! I need ideas on how to turn this into a 2moa shooter

Step 1 - Clean thoroughly

Step 2 - Sell gun

Step 3 - Buy AR-15 :p

Seriously though, have you tried a variety of ammo? I have a friend who's AK is pretty finicky about ammo. Beyond that maybe give this a read and see what you are willing to do to your gun. Be careful though, that same friend of mine tried to give his AK a trigger job and ended up breaking it. He is one of the few people out there who managed to break an AK.

-Ammo
-trigger
-sights
Sell it and buy a 74 and start over again.

Google accurized AK and start reading, plenty of stuff out there. I think you are going to find out quickly you are not going to be happy, but attempting things is half the fun, isn't it?

Last edited:
Quality ammo and a trigger job will go a long way on a Saiga. I was getting 4 minute groups at 100 thru a WASR with irons off the bag from just those two things.

Haha the ar is just fine but i like my ak lol its so much more rugged. I shoot bulk ammo. Tula, wolf and such. I just bought American eagle fmj. For a dollar a round it better be more accurate. Ive asked other people about their saiags qnd they get the same results no matter what they shoot. I was thinking better trigger lol if they make timneys for saiga and a precision barrel if i could possibly find one for a ak. I'm not to concerned with the trigger because i feel like i get decent breaks on it. Trigger control is what i practice more then anything but it definitely takes effort to get a good pull so eventually it will be replaced

Last edited:
The whole appeal of an AK is a cheap gun with loose/durable tolerances that shoots crappy ammo.

You could tighten up the tolerances with new parts and shoot premium ammo. But then... Why bother?

I wanna use it for when shtf as my go to gun because ammo is so easy to stock pile but it shoots poorly. I dont mind putting some time and money into the gun

Step 1 - Clean thoroughly

Step 2 - Sell gun

Step 3 - Buy AR-15 :p

Seriously though, have you tried a variety of ammo? I have a friend who's AK is pretty finicky about ammo. Beyond that maybe give this a read and see what you are willing to do to your gun. Be careful though, that same friend of mine tried to give his AK a trigger job and ended up breaking it. He is one of the few people out there who managed to break an AK.

I'd go with the AR first, but if you want a decent accuracy AK type rifle, the VZ-58 does pretty good. A helluva lot better than the old captured ones I trained with in the early '80's!

Just go to a different platform. Mr. Kalashnikov said the AK is "accurate enough". Reliability, and ease of use were his main goals. If you want accuracy and reliability, the AR platform is a good start.

The whole appeal of an AK is a cheap gun with loose/durable tolerances that shoots crappy ammo.

Different tools for different jobs. The AK is arguably the best for its' intended purpose - bullet hose. The AR platform can be very accurate but will cost a bit more.

OFG

I wanna use it for when shtf as my go to gun because ammo is so easy to stock pile but it shoots poorly. I dont mind putting some time and money into the gun

Leave it the way it is. That way you won't feel so bad when they seize it as evidence in your manslaughter trial after the shit stops hitting the fan.

Maybe you need a match grade stainless steel barrel,match grade trigger,as well as decent ammo,then you'll turn your saiga into a 1 moa shooter.?

Spending money to upgrade an AK by buying better ammunition, upgrading
Different tools for different jobs. The AK is arguably the best for its' intended purpose - bullet hose. The AR platform can be very accurate but will cost a bit more.

OFG

Spending money to upgrade an AK by putting a better trigger on it, buying better ammo or putting glass on it is like putting lipstick on a pig. Its still a pig. As a reliable bullet hose it's fine, nothing more.

Honestly if you want something that flings any ammo with every trigger pull I would replace the AK with the SKS. I have found with owning these guns that the SKS was typically more accurate for me than the AK. With custom handloads (waste of time) and the best scope mount I could find on the market (most shift around), my SKS was a decent 100 yard max woodchuck gun.

As 95% of the people above have suggested, get an AR. You can find them around the web for $500-550 now which isn't much more than a cheap WASR AK. You'll shoot steel Wolf 223 cheaper than you will 7.62x39, and ARs are much better on accuracy.

But when SHTF, a drone will kick your AKs ass anyways.

Last edited:
Are you shooting off of iron sights or did you install a aftermarket dust cover, like a TWS rail? I've never really liked side mounted optics.

Secondly, Wolf's Polyperformance ammo is way under-rated. Out of 5 rounds, I can get 3 holes touching sometimes with 2 fliers that extend the pattern by 1 or 2 inches. I find the same with .308 Polyperformance ammo. Is it FGMM? Of course not. However, price vs. performance, I prefer $5/box Wolf Poly versus $25 (or whatever).

Your gun is likely not capable of the accuracy you're seeking.

I just purchased a SIG556XI and mounted a Vortex 16x PST to it, but haven't shot it yet. That or an Arsenal are your two best AK choices. Design-wise, the SIG is far superior, in my opinion.

646f217c7564ccbe0039c4a76d3d7664.jpg

Last edited:
Sig 556xi is also not an AK. Different tolerances and design concepts. If I was gonna get a 7.62x39 platform, that would be the one I'd probably go with though.

OP- It's an AK. You can get it down to respectable accuracy if you're willing to spend the large amount of money needed to get it to that point. Lord knows companies like Rifle Dynamics and Krebs are willing to do the work, so long as you're willing to pay the money. With that said, the 7.62x39 is not known as a precision cartridge. The amount of money you'd be dumping into the system would turn it into a more expensive venture that would negate that whole "cheaper to shoot" concept. At that point, you're into precision AR territory for both cost and ammunition.

Sig 556xi is also not an AK. Different tolerances and design concepts. If I was gonna get a 7.62x39 platform, that would be the one I'd probably go with though.

OP- It's an AK. You can get it down to respectable accuracy if you're willing to spend the large amount of money needed to get it to that point. Lord knows companies like Rifle Dynamics and Krebs are willing to do the work, so long as you're willing to pay the money. With that said, the 7.62x39 is not known as a precision cartridge. The amount of money you'd be dumping into the system would turn it into a more expensive venture that would negate that whole "cheaper to shoot" concept. At that point, you're into precision AR territory for both cost and ammunition.
Correct, my apologies. I often interchange "AK" with "7.62x39 platform." The BCG of the SIG is very interesting, to say the least. Not an AK, but clearly heavily influenced by one.

I know i know ar15s are way more accurate but im not a fan of 223 for anything bigger then coyotes at mid range.

Maybe you need a match grade stainless steel barrel,match grade trigger,as well as decent ammo,then you'll turn your saiga into a 1 moa shooter.?
ive looked into replacement barrels and cant find them anywhere but im still looking

Wow guys thank you everyone who commented here for being coconstructive and mature. I posted in the rifle scope section and got a lot of stupid b.s and people saying im probably trolling. Again thank you everyone here

Not sure if serious...
Especially after that Red Jacket comment. :D

Edit: Sorry, I read that "constructive and mature" comment as sarcasm. Re-reading, it occurs to me that you may have been serious. I just don't think I'd put too much stock in anything Red Jacket did, esp. on the show.

Last edited:
Not sure if serious...
Especially after that Red Jacket comment. :D

Edit: Sorry, I read that "constructive and mature" comment as sarcasm. Re-reading, it occurs to me that you may have been serious. I just don't think I'd put too much stock in anything Red Jacket did, esp. on the show.
No the red jacket thing was a joke. Because everything on the tv and internet must be true right. Lol

Thank you I checked them out and it appears they are all 1;9.5 and that doesn't make sense for a 124gr bullet haha looking for 1;8. I did contact the company regarding it. We'll see if they can help me further

In the FWIW department, I have a Bulgarian milled-receiver AK with a good trigger. I mounted an 18X scope, picked up some Lapua and Sellier and Bellot ammo and then handloaded test rounds using RL-7, Hornady 123-gr FMJ and 123-grain polymer-tipped bullets (don't know the manufacturer; they were a special from Midway a year or two ago), WW primers and new WW prepped cases.

Firing from a solid rest in calm conditions, all 5-shot groups ran around 4 inches at 100 yards. I did get really excited about one 1.5-inch group, but couldn't repeat it, so it must have been an odd fluke.

My AK, by the way, kicks brass up to 30 feet to the right and forward.

I think I'd become deliriously happy if I could get 2 MOA out of it. But, as has been pointed out, the AK clearly meets its design parameters. Work first time, every time, and be minute-of-enemy out to 300 meters.

Cheers,
Richard

If buying a rifle to shoot 7.62x39 today it would be the SIG 556R Gen2 or Xi.

I have 3 Gen2 556R's, 2 classics and 1 swat. Ive got over 3000rds of wolf through one of them without a single issue. Ive tested accuracy at 100yds with a Browe BCO using Lapua ammo and it was submoa.

Is it specifically 7.62x39 you're after or just something bigger than 223? If you're willing to spend money working on the AK perhaps just step up to a 308 where you would have many options (FAL, HK91, M1a, AR) and real accuracy potential.

No matter how much you "accurize" an AK and no matter how nice the brass is... A x39 will still drop like a rock at a few hundred yards.

I would take a semi auto 7.62x51 over my 7.62x39 any day although i love the fact that i can get 100 rounds for 30 bucks. It mat be crap ammo but ammo is ammo. I just can't afford to buy a $1,600 m1 right now. I love how good the ak is at what it'sgood at but if only we could get it to be at least somewhat accurate as well, then it really would be one hell of a gun!

Is it specifically 7.62x39 you're after or just something bigger than 223? If you're willing to spend money working on the AK perhaps just step up to a 308 where you would have many options (FAL, HK91, M1a, AR) and real accuracy potential.

No matter how much you "accurize" an AK and no matter how nice the brass is... A x39 will still drop like a rock at a few hundred yards.

Im aware of the rainbow trajectory once you get out there thats why it would just be a hundred yard gun

Out to 300m the 5.45 trajectory is flatter, with 7n6 the terminal ballistics are as good if not better. I'll take the accuracy benefits all day, but in reality, I wouldn't take an AK anywhere, just trying to help you find a more accurate AK for your SHTF fantasy.

im going to get another AK eventually but when I do it will be a milled arsenal which ive owned before and it was awesome... even still with an arsenal brandname, the best you're going to get is 2 to 3moa at best... prob 2moa at best with reloads....

Hey y'all i got a saiga 7.62x39....its a great gun and i love it...UNTIL i group it and see a 4 inch group at 40 yards. YIKES! I need ideas on how to turn this into a 2moa shooter

I hope I'm not jumping to conclusions but "$80 vs $2000 scope", "accurized saiga/no puny 223s", and "308 more accurate than 30-06?" threads all in the same day by the same guy... U trollin bro?

I know i know ar15s are way more accurate but im not a fan of 223 for anything bigger then coyotes at mid range.

223\5.56x45 will makes more energy by the time you get to 200 yards than the 7.62x39. the 5.56x45 is by far the superior mid range round

Because its lacking ballistically is really the only reason.

i suggest you do some studying of ballistics. i have heard this from other people too. i always laugh when people talk about the superior 7.62x39 round. it might be a better close range round. but that is what sub machine guns IE pistol calibers are for