• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Price Check: Eric Reed built M40A1 build

Tony.

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2004
Los Angeles / Phoenix
There seems to be a few M40a1 spec builds in the for sale section lately with Unertl's on them. I am thinking about selling my full spec Eric Reed built M40a1 with no scope, but includes a Badger clip slot picatinny rail. S/N is a 7-digit series, Remington dated it as a 1969 production receiver.

Here are the specs:

- GAP / Eric Reed build
- Woodland USMC return stock
- Original bottom metal
- Cerakote
- Schneider USMC contract barrel
- Clipslotted
- Badger clip slot picatinny rail
- 80 rounds fired

Any thoughts on a fair price? The only reason I am selling is that I have 2 and I will not sell my smear / MST-100 rig.

In case you were wondering, it is pictured below. Scope is not included. Is it worth more since it has been pressed up on Magan's bewbies?

QK6L2881-Final.jpg

Re: Price Check: Eric Reed built M40A1 build

Or you can keep the gun...how much for the rest?

laugh.gif
You know this is not a real price check, he just wanted to show off a great pic of a very beautiful women. Hats off to you on the rifle and a very nice young lady.

I would think that the barreled action would be about $2400 to replace plus a return stock is running about $1k (or $1800...we will see
smile.gif
) with bottom metal plus the Badger base so I would think that you would be into it $3500 to $4k to replace it (with a MST-100 scope they would run $6300 to $6800 which is about right. Add Eric's stamp and I would value it at the higher end at least if not more....plus a looong wait due to barrel availabilty...comments and or corrections?

Pat

I'd say Badger bottom metal means nothing on an M40A1 build, keep it, if I had the cash. I'd have a hard time parting with 2500 for that, including the fact that I have one in build mode right now. This is figuring about 1500 for the "metal" and 1000 for the stock.
Eric builds a great rifle (I have one built by him), but spec is spec, any good smith should be able to build to the sheet.
Chad

To clarify:
Receiver: about 500
Barrel done: 600
Trigger milling and work: 75 (maybe, don't really know but...)
Stamping: Mine calls these few steps a wash, not sure
BDL welded: Maybe 25 bucks???
Coating: 200
100 bucks for other stuff, not sure what, maybe something.

and like I said about 1000 for the stock (if matching bedding shouldn't be much, maybe add into the stock)

Can't give cost on the pic, can we get it autographed and framed with the buy???

Close???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To clarify:
Receiver: about 500
Barrel done: 600
Trigger milling and work: 75 (maybe, don't really know but...)
Stamping: Mine calls these few steps a wash, not sure
BDL welded: Maybe 25 bucks???
Coating: 200
100 bucks for other stuff, not sure what, maybe something.

and like I said about 1000 for the stock (if matching bedding shouldn't be much, maybe add into the stock)

Can't give cost on the pic, can we get it autographed and framed with the buy???

Close??? </div></div>

If you can get a spec build for $2500 I would suggest that you do it. My experience has been you get what you pay for.

The bottom metal is original not Badger. Blue printing an action is free? The barrel starts as a blank, has to be turned, threaded, cut to length and chambered and finally finished. You also forgot the bedding of the action to the stock. The recoil lug is customized, mag box tig welded in place and the action is clip slotted (again not an inconsequential task).

To say any gunsmith can do a USMC spec M40A1 build is naive at best.

The work that the Precision Weapons Center does is a work of art as is the work Eric Reid, George Gardner and others that transform a Remington 700 into a M40A1 or M40A3 is.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say Badger bottom metal means nothing on an M40A1 build, keep it, if I had the cash. I'd have a hard time parting with 2500 for that, including the fact that I have one in build mode right now. This is figuring about 1500 for the "metal" and 1000 for the stock.
Eric builds a great rifle (I have one built by him), but spec is spec, any good smith should be able to build to the sheet.
Chad </div></div>

The bottom metal is not Badger, it is the original metal. The scope base is a Badger clip slot. The bottom metal and stock were restamped/renumbered by Eric to match the S/N of the receiver. There is a premium for an Eric Reed spec build.