• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer shortage confirmed by President of CCI/Federal

Pilsudski

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2020
Georgia
Jason Vanderbrink, the President of CCI just released a video on YouTube. To summarize, all production of CCI/Federal and Remington primers is going to ammo. 100%! They only sell excess production of primers to reloaders. Therefore reloaders are SOL since there is no longer excess production. Their ammo backlog is well over a year. Don’t expect to see primers on the shelf this year. Gunbroker is going to make a lot of money on primer transactions.

Old news... might as well wait to post anything primers related once you actually have good/new news.

Thats a new video but I agree it confirms what most already assume. F' the reloaders until we get done making our own ammo.

We heard similar lines from CEO’s when Obummer was President. Hodgdon said, we are making powder at historical levels. Alliant, and others had a similar story to spin. All garbage, trying to salvage customers and relationships. Do you see any Federal ammunition arriving at stores, hell no.

Reactions: cshank
We heard similar lines from CEO’s when Obummer was President. Hodgdon said, we are making powder at historical levels. Alliant, and others had a similar story to spin. All garbage, trying to salvage customers and relationships. Do you see any Federal ammunition arriving at stores, hell no.
My local gun shop gets regular ammo shipments. But also sells out quickly even with purchase limits. I remember being one of two or three customers in the store at a time. Now it's been filled regardless of time of day.

Yeah, I ain't paying that shit for ammo. I got plenty, but it would be nice to plink once my suppressors get out of NFA jail...

$1.00+ per round for 5.56 and 9mm... F*** THAT! I ain't paying that shit! It ain't made of gold. Any anyone who pays that for it is who's helping cause this problem! Yall do realize that if people are willing to pay that for it now, the prices ain't ever going back down....... So, yall are helping to destroy our sport. So are the ammo companies, and all the distributors and retailers who are jacking up prices! They're nailing their own coffins, and don't even realize it. Once ammo prices stay this ridiculous, and Creepy Joe taxes everyone to death, guns will be regulated so harshly that it will make buying one a nightmare, and when you're giving Big Brother 60+% of your income for taxes, there's no more money to buy ammo... Therefore gun stores will go out of business. This is part of their plan. Mark my words folks. The panic-buying and freaking out is falling right into their trap.

I mentioned this a few days ago, some big retailers have plenty of firearms, plenty of ammo (actually more than they have room to store) and even reloading supplies including a limited supply of primers! Other firearm retailers have nothing but bare shelves. What is the difference?

Primers, they are selling 200 per day per customer. Price, not great but not as bad as gunbroker.

Last edited:
What would you expect them to do? Using them for ammo makes more money, which is why they are in business.
It makes them more money right now but alot of these new shooters out there right now will go away. We won't. I'm wondering if in the next few years we see a new primer company pop up?

Given the problems involved with making primers and the very low profit margin, a new primer company is, on a scale of 1 to 10, about a -5.

I mentioned this a few days ago, some big retailers have plenty of firearms, plenty of ammo (actually more than they have room to store) and even reloading supplies including a limited supply of primers! Other firearm retailers have nothing but bare shelves. What is the difference?

Primers, they are selling 200 per day per customer. Price, not great but not as bad as gunbroker.
Where are these stores i do searches everyday.

One of our local Scheels stores had placed out 25k CCI 450's week before last. They were gone in a few hours. Priced at $50/1k. Hard to say if they just ran across them in a back room or not. But 25k seems like they would not have been overlooked in a stockroom. Had to be new shipments.

Last edited:
One of our local Scheels stores had placed out 25k CCI 450's week before last. They were gone in a few hours. Priced at $50/1k. Hard to say if they just ran across them in a back room or not. But 25k seems like they would not have been overlooked in a stockroom.
our scheels in nebraska have been getting them weekly since this all started.. they go fast but they are getting them.

I don't know how many times we need to go over this, but they don't say 100% going to ammo in the videos. They do say that reloading market gets excess from primer production and there is now less excess than normal. Not none, but less. I'm seeing stuff come and go locally and online. It's in the newer packaging so it can't be very old.

I don't know how many times we need to go over this, but they don't say 100% going to ammo in the videos. They do say that reloading market gets excess from primer production and there is now less excess than normal. Not none, but less. I'm seeing stuff come and go locally and online. It's in the newer packaging so it can't be very old.
Yea, i find it hard to believe its all old stock...