• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pronghorn, (Antelope) Recipes

mark42quin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2010
Edgewood, NM
Fellas, I did a search and dug nuthin up on "recipes" fer Pronghorn, or as most people call them "antelope"... I killed one this year as seen in the post labeled, "NM Pronghorn". We just finished the last on the backstraps and I am looking for different ways to cook it. I have two EXCELLENT recipes I will share hoping someone will give me sumthin different for this delicious animal.

1.5 cups Olive oil
5 fresh jalapenos
about 5 tablespoons crushed red pepper
1 poblano pepper
about 3-4 tablespoons minced garlic
about half a 3/4 cup fresh cilantro, (I pull the leaves off the stem)
half a cup fresh roasted green chili,
a little salt
Take the mixture and blend the shit out of it... "steep" it for 15 minutes, let it cool and marinate backstraps cut into chunks, skewer and grill, leave em RARE!..... Soooooo good.

2. Season backstrap in Montreal Steak seasoning, wrap in hickory smoked bacon, grill and leave em RARE......

Re: Pronghorn, (Antelope) Recipes

Lol... i've heard that too.... mostly from people that call them antelope!

Don't chase them. Shoot them. Skin and cool. Hang for a couple of days.. Cook everything just as you would any other meat. Between my wife and I we put up to 6 in the freezer a year and we prefer it to just about anything else.

If you chase them and don't skin and cool them, they taste just like anything thing else raised in the sage brush... don't blame poor flavor on the critter...

We use a bit of vinegar on all the cuts and cook the quarters as we do the loin...flavor and tenderness are great.

Good luck

Oh I think the meat is some of the best... And I take care of them the same as I do with any other game... I am asking for some Recipes, "to die for"... I love to cook and explore different things with wild game.

thanks,

Q

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't chase them. Shoot them. Skin and cool. </div></div>

^^this is actually much better advise than my previous post, last year, we shot 6 antelope. Of the six, the two that were head/neck shot as they stood tasted great. The remaining four were chased a bit and then shot in the typical fashion, they weren't so great. I also would like to think that the head/neck shot animals tasted better because they bled dry imediately, while the other's drown in their own blood.

You can try:::

Marinade:
Olive oil
vinegar
cilantro
fresh garlic
pepper
salt or lemon salt
basil
mix in zip lock bag...cut steaks/slices ect...
put the cuts in the bag with the marinade, press to remove the air, put in the fridge for a couple of hours...
Put on the grill or in the skillet till brown, DO NOT OVER COOK and re-kill the steaks....
Serve hot with favorite side dish and beverage... great on a cold winter day or summer night with friends...

Enjoy

just about the same as what you do currently

Vegeterians and people that don't know how to cook them...or get the meat covered in hair.....

On your second recipe...add a little fresh pineapple juice before the Montreal seasoning, the acid in the juice helps to tenderize and also adds some good flavor.

the antelope near my uncles ranch in SoDak are so full of sage they are good for little but breakfast sausage. Every other way i've eaten them leaves me wondering who thought to make sausage roast. It belongs next to eggs and flap jacks...not that i mind...i'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around any other option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't chase them. Shoot them. Skin and cool. Hang for a couple of days.. Cook everything just as you would any other meat. Between my wife and I we put up to 6 in the freezer a year and we prefer it to just about anything else.

If you chase them and don't skin and cool them, they taste just like anything thing else raised in the sage brush... don't blame poor flavor on the critter...

We use a bit of vinegar on all the cuts and cook the quarters as we do the loin...flavor and tenderness are great.

Good luck </div></div>

Yes cooling them down quick is very important, if you don't some enzyme thing happens and they are only suitable for dog food.

My favorite way is to pan fry.

Salt and pepper the steak. Drench in olive oil. Fry on high heat to medium rare. Serve with a ton of roasted garlic cloves.

As with most game meat keep it on the rare side. It will get tough the more you cook it.

My kids also like the ground in tacos, burritos, hamburger helper, and sloppy joes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shatuponthee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MTETM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't chase them. Shoot them. Skin and cool. Hang for a couple of days.. Cook everything just as you would any other meat. Between my wife and I we put up to 6 in the freezer a year and we prefer it to just about anything else.

Good luck </div></div>

Yes cooling them down quick is very important, if you don't some enzyme thing happens and they are only suitable for dog food.</div></div>

It is actually the running thing that causes the issues...Not cooling them doesn't help and getting a pile of hair on them really makes things rough.
Shooting them, leaving them in a pile with the hide on when it is in the 70's and not getting them opened up to cool until the evening really makes things go to shit!

Most of my family said they didn't like antelope so I started cooking it.

I cut it into little steaks, (cutting against the grain), roll it in flour with lots of pepper. Deep fry it, served with fried taters, and bisquets,

Now they love it, all of them.

Antelope has to be dressed almost as soon as it hits the ground, you can't hang it long like you can deer.

When cutting it out remove any fat and tendons, (cut out anything white) leaving nothing but red meat. Don't cut, rap, and freeze until it cools to about 45 degrees but get it in the freezer or skillet as fast as you can.

The only spices I use is salt and pepper, and of coursed rolled in flour.

I just used the backstrap, but I'm sure you could use any steak to do the same thing

Cut the meat into 2" x 1" x 1" chunks. Salt and pepper. Cover in italian dressing and marinate for a few hours. Chop up some pieces of pepper (jalepeno if you like the heat, yellow banana pepper for something mild). Place 1 piece of pepper on each chunk and wrap with bacon. Grill over medium for 15 minutes. Awesome.

does anybody else think that this site needs a wild meat cooking section? just reading these recipes is making me starving

tag... for my upcoming kill
smile.gif

Headed to Sheridan, WY next week.

Heres a simple one. My dad always does it this way and I do this a lot on everything (antelope, deer, elk, etc).

Cut fajita type strips, steak finger size pieces. Little salt, pepper to your liking, shake the meat in a bag of flour to coat and fry it in a skillet on medium heat. You're not looking for a crispy coat, rather a soft half breaded half gravy finish. About five minutes into cooking add some sliced onion and cook till the onions are done. You'll be suprised how good this is as cold left overs as well.

I really don't cook animals, I cook cuts. It's my Son-in-Law who has the pig roasters, and handles the animals, sides at a time. Does some smoking, too...

Pronghorns are really nasty little goats. I watched one ram the Suburban I was riding in. One of the stranger experiences in in the relatively later portion of my ilfetime...

Kevin was driving...; I don't think we'll ever actually forget that evening...

Nasty little bitches...! We really need to shoot more of them...

I figure any basic mutton recipe will work pretty well...

Greg

Never had antelope but I bet it would be good the way the jamaicans cook goat.
Jerked or curry.
Anyone tried it that way?