• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pronghorn Hunt Question

Re: Pronghorn Hunt Question

wyoming is calling me! Those should feed a family for a day or two! How much does a hunt, including out of state license cost and how much does it cost to have a set of horns mounted these days?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range dogr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PGS,

Those are some GREAT bucks!!! I hav'nt bought my tag in wyoming for quite a few years.But your pics are making me want to!

I have access to a friends granpas place south of Casper.I might just have to get a tag this fall. The beuty of it is it's all private land.Just buy a leftover and your GTG! </div></div>

There are some excellent buck in that part of the state...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There are some excellent buck in that part of the state... </div></div>

Damn right!! I used to hunt them south of Wright.But there are far more trophy's around the southern end of the state.

But i do know a few years back the golfcourse in Wright was allowing bowhunters to fill their tags.

Pat,
I know... I want to come out there so bad.

Tha A-5 is sweet. it really feels good and the shooting is getting better too. Eric and I have some A-Maxs on back order. I am excited to see how they shoot.

A lot of folks like that R-22 in the 280 but it only shot in the 2600's Think I should try it again with the new bullets and try to speed it up.

Don should be out there soon, I'm sure you guys will have a blast, I know he is really excited.

Anyway,
Have a good one and I will update you on the shooting!
Nick

That looks like a great venue/activity for long range shooting: 6 hours work for a single shot.

I see that South Dakota only gave out 7 non-resident Antelope tags in 2007, and about the same amount in 2008. Is Wyoming that different? If so, how?

Here in Montana non residents get 10% of the total licenses that are drawn.....in region 700, thats 1300. Doe permits in that region are first come first serve,(2 per hunter). So if you draw an either sex permit and purchase 2 doe permits you can take home 3 antelope...pretty good bang for your buck so to speak.

cool.gif

Montana is only a bit farther than South Dakota.

Is it really that much cheaper to do it yourself?

Are there reasonably-priced guide services that still require work of the hunter and don't make the hunt a managed farse?

DIY is a lot less than a guided hunt.

In Montana there are a number of good antelope spots that are open to public hunting,(block management areas) private land that is open for hunting. Check out fwp.mt.gov

FYI: Antelope table fare is some of the finest!!

SM, What are the draw odds for out of staters there? Ever any left over tags?

Thanks, Pat

PGS - some really nice pics in this thread for us guys who don't get there too often. Antelope is some of the most enjoyable hunting I have done but there is not too much quality hunting left in my state and it takes time and money to go else where.

P1000342.jpg

Saw this buck traveling though Wyo a few years ago. It's about 105 degrees and he's about 500yds from the camera. Thanks for sharing your pictures guys, they are like a trip back to the day....

Pat,

draw odds are pretty good.

there are some left over tags, but depending on area, some are doe only tags.

Still think this one has the best cutters I have seen in a while
grin.gif

broadgoat1.jpg

mdesign, Thanks! If you ever need any info on DIY in Montana let me know...a guy can do antelope fairly reasonable.

SM, Thanks for the reply....I goose egged the Red Desert for antelope this year(poor odds) but I got another point anyway.

Yes, I would say that buck has prongs about as good as they get!! If you could put those cutters on your 84 6/8 buck you would have one close to 90!!

I've been seeing some real good horn growth up here this summer...how do the horns look down south?

scan0001-4.jpg

Results of a DIY hunt to Wyoming a few years back....2 of these bucks went over 81 B&C. Stayed in a camper...did the hunt for less than $500.00 each.(stayed 5 days)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stayed in a camper...did the hunt for less than $500.00 each...</div></div>Hmmmmmm.....around 1K each, including transportation, sounds reasonable.

I live in South Dakota so thats were I hunt the goats, but to echo what alot have already said...Wyoming is the place to go. You can throw a dead cat in any direction and hit an antelope. Here's a couple of pics to keep you motivated on booking a hunt:

My 2006 antelop buck (only pic of antelope I shot on photobucket). Taken with my M1A Scout rifle, topped with a Trijicon 2.5-10X56:
DSCN1253.jpg

My proudest pic: My son's first big game animal taken in 2008 the day after he turned 12. 1 shot, 206 yards, with his .308 Thompson Encore:
P1010213.jpg

Heres his 2008 4 point (8 pointer to east coast guys) Whitetail buck. 1 shot. 326 yards, same rifle:
P1010411.jpg

Well done guys!! I'll bet you look forward to all of the hunts you will share in the future....nothing is better than taking your kids hunting!

Here is one with the Eberlestock sitting on him. First day of 08 season, Montana. Can't remember if I posted this pic before or not.

2944057561_f54512ec68_o.jpg

I'm gonna try for next year in WY and have a few questions that you "Pro's" could answer.

With me living in southern Indiana what is the best way to transport the meat? Say if it has to be on ice for 5-6 days?

If we were to be successful, is it like IN where you have to take the deer in to be checked or do you just call in the harvest?

About how much does the average goat weigh after feild dressing?

When one is doing a DIY hunt do you run into alot of other hunters? You know safety is #1 and don't wanta get between a cross fire and all!

Your antelope does not have to be checked or called in unless you come through a game check station. I would say you'd get between 30 and 40 pounds of boned out meat from a full grown goat. As far as other hunters, chances are you will run in to a lot of them. There seems to be more and more every year. I don't know about transporting your meat. I've actually seen people bring a freezer and generator with them, but I really have never had to worry about it.

Thanks for the info. Dam that suck about runnin into others out there. ALL that land and you still butt heads with others. That would just suck ass spotting a nice ram, start your stalk then you hear rapid fire comin from some DA off in the distance....

If you hunt public land, wait about 10 days after the opener then go....most guys are done by then. I've killed almost all my best bucks well into the season.

Isn't it like impossible to stalk up on one then if you wait? Sounds like it'll work though.... What are some things to look for out there to locate them. Lots of foot work and lookin through glass is all I know. I drive through alot of those states and see them layin in small tight valleys to the wide open flats.

it really depends on the area your in how many people you run into, i've hunted the north east part of the state (around Gillette) for a few years and i've never butted heads with anyone, only seen a couple people out hunting for that matter, and theres TONS of goats out there,

Speaking of which season is already going on a lot of places, anybody having any luck?

Montana opens next sunday....report coming in about a week after...looks like we might have another snow hunt according to the weather guy.

Wyoming has the best odds and the most goat, im not sure how reasonble the price is for non-resident.

You can't put a price tag on everything. Over weight ticket in CA. $1350, 2 new AW mags for the build $140., hunting goats with your best buddies.... PRICELESS!

Our group of 3 is headed out on the 18th for antelope in area 72 nw of Casper and deer in region D se of Casper. New areas for us, we've been hunting area 31 and camp in Casper. Goats are everywhere including at the range right in front of us shooting.
It sure is a pleasure hunting in WY compared to WI, the conservation officer treats you like a hunter not a criminal.All the people we meet were great, very helpful too.

A lot of times, you can bring a buck antelope right in by simply wearing a white t-shirt. They might even come in at a run. A decoy can work good as well. PGS is right on about hunting later in the season if you can. However, some areas are only open a few days. Keep in mind the Game and Fish is very strict out here, especially with out of staters. Make sure you have your ducks in a row at all times. The going joke is you'd have better luck getting away with murder versus violating a game law.