• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Propane/annealing help!

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
I have a 10 gallon propane tank I used to use with my knife forge. It has a gas regulator and a 10 foot hose with it. The regulator reading goes up to 35 lbs, but the needle will go well past that to around where 48 pounds should be. The propane tank will peg the needle on the regulator, and there is plenty of propane in the bottle.

I get gas through the regulator and hose, but when I hook up those little torches that come with the quart size bottles of propane or mapp gas, I don't get any gas through the torch nozzle. I used these torch nozzles to anneal cases, and was hoping I would be able to switch over to using my 10 gallon propane tank, rather than having to keep buying those little bottles of propane or mapp gas.

Is there a pressure level that these torches require in order to release the gas through the little valve on the underside of the torch? I can remove the regulator and re-plumb the hose with some other fittings if I need to, but I'm hoping there is a simpler solution.

Torches need full bottle pressure, if you have a regulator they will not work.

For my annealer vortex bench source I went to a local propane company and had them build me a double hose setup.

Not sure what the answer is but I know you can do it. A friend of a friend does just what you are trying to do.
I am sure someone will come along to answer.
T

im wanting to do the same, I got a quick connect propane for my gas grill that feeds off my 500 gal tank and I wanna hook my burnz o matic head to it.

pageing our resident propane field tech. I know we got one on here some where

I figured I might have to change/drill out the orifice in the head, dunno

I tried once with a regulator and hose on a 20lb tank. Very, very small flame as compared to hooking the torch head straight to a small bottle.

I think the postings that say the regulator is the problem are on the right track. I'll get some new fittings that will let me run the torches without the regulator. All the torches work when attached directely to one of the small bottles, so logic would indicate that the regulator is the issue.

THANKS VERY MUCH EVERYONE!

I bought a Coleman T and extension hose in the Walmart camping section. Works great off a bulk tank (no regulator), though the shortest extension hose they had was 8'. Would prefer something shorter, but it works.

annealer_zpseebe9a00.jpg

I took the regulator off, and hooked up the torch, and it works just like it should. It sure takes a while for the gas to finish draining out of my 12 foot hose after I turn it off though. I just don't like releasing all that gas unless I'm outdoors, so it is a pain to take the tank and hose outside to bleed the remaining gas out of the hose.

Thanks for the advice everyone...the regulator WAS the problem, just as suspected.

turn it off while flame is on, it will burn out the gas. I do that all the time with a tractor mounted weed torch that has a long hose.

OK, then I unscrew the torch while the flame is still lit? (Geezus, just kidding) It takes a long time for all that gas to release from such a long hose. I guess I'll just have to turn off the gas before I anneal the last dozen cases.