• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Propane Grill question- do you run an adjustable regulator?

hermosabeach

Invite new Gun owners to the range in 2021
Minuteman
I was chatting with my neighbor in and he recently switched out his regulators on his BBQ to adjustable models in his cabins.

Why?
1- all the burners light faster. Weber sparks one and then the gas flows to the next ones

2- his cabins are at elevation
Lake Tahoe. So he can crank up the propane as there is less air/ atmosphere and get a hotter grill

Do any of you run adjustable regulators on your BBQ grills?

what should I know? I would like my Weber to get hotter on windy days

2- his cabins are at elevation Lake Tahoe. So he can crank up the propane as there is less air/ atmosphere and get a hotter grill

This defies the laws of chemistry. Flame temperature decreases as the mixture is enriched.

Maybe you mean: he can reduce the propane in the mix (at the venturi) to account for the reduced oxygen at altitude.

Anyway, propane sucks compared to lump charcoal.

Is it even legal to burn charcoal in california? LOL

There is a member here in Southwestern WA who is an expert on propane issues. I would PM him.

His preference is this model regulator.

Screenshot_20190404-072129_Chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: tomcatmv
I turn on the 'sear station' 4th burner when heating it up. Will hit ~650 in short order. I keep the wind to the back of the grill. Wind to the side will cool it and sometime blow out the burners.