• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Proprietary Remage nuts??

JustMissedIt

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2019
    Ohio
    Bought a used barreled action that has what I’ve found to be a Remage nut called a “BUGNUT” made by Bugholes/Southern precision.... I just want to remove it, I will not continue to use it after wards. I’ve contacted them to ask how to do so. It seems that have a proprietary wrench for it as well. Don’t want to spend $50 plus shipping just to remove the nut. They have not returned my call. Anybody? Bueller??

Pipe wrench works too. I did that with a smooth Savage nut.
    Same here. I tried chain grips and they slipped, figured since I’m scrapping the bbl nut anyway who cares if it gets burred up. Broke out the pipe wrench.

I'm pretty sure that an adjustable wrench will work. An open end wrench of the correct size should work as well, but I'm not sure what size it is.

Bought a used barreled action that has what I’ve found to be a Remage nut called a “BUGNUT” made by Bugholes/Southern precision.... I just want to remove it, I will not continue to use it after wards. I’ve contacted them to ask how to do so. It seems that have a proprietary wrench for it as well. Don’t want to spend $50 plus shipping just to remove the nut. They have not returned my call. Anybody? Bueller??
    I take it you are going to make a tomato stake out of the Bbl.?

If you've called us and left a message then you should have gotten a call back
    If you're VM is full or not set up, we can't leave a return message (we see this prob once a day)
    The dimension across the nut flats is 1.200, so you won't find a crows foot or fixed wrench that will fit correctly
    You can loosen it with a pipe wrench but it will obviously damage the nut
    -Greg

I wouldn't take long at the bench grinder to turn a 1-3/16" wrench into a 1.200" one. The tolerance is so sloppy on some cheap tools they might even fit without grinding.

Reactions: cm1021
    If you lock the barrel down and spin the action sometimes you don't need a wrench . This is how I handle Savage smooth nuts leaving them on the barrel.