• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Bipod 101: School me

Thunderskunk

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2020
Spurred from several threads about bipod brands.

What makes a proper PRS bipod?
How critical is it that a bipod be mounted perpendicular to the barrel axis?
What's "rolling" in reference to shooting with a bipod?
Should you preload forward or rearward?

I've been browsing the marksmanship stickies and didn't see anything focused, so I made a thread. I have literally no experience shooting a bolt gun with a bipod.

For PRS, most will work as the targets are generous due to position and time. Quick to deploy and operate trumps being perfect. Which is why the Harris is still very popular.

Loading forward is best practice. But reverse loads have their place.

Rolling is when your cant tension isn’t tight enough and the rifle rolls to the side after each shot. You want it tight enough to hold while also loose enough you can manipulate it if need be.

Once you start talking pure performance on target and shooting small things, the other things you asked about become more important. That’s not what PRS is about, generally speaking, despite the word “precision.”

That’s not what PRS is about, generally speaking, despite the word “precision.”

If your tolerance is center point of a dude-sized target plus or minus half a dude, I'd call that precision.

Awesome answers, thanks. It sounds like there's requirements for having bipods "up" before starting a round?

If your tolerance is center point of a dude-sized target plus or minus half a dude, I'd call that precision.

Awesome answers, thanks. It sounds like there's requirements for having bipods "up" before starting a round?

No requirement. But, unless a club match where they allow it, you won’t be allowed to check and see how high you need your bipod. There is still a lingering incorrect opinion that you need the bipod low. So people try that and then end up screwing around on the clock. Higher is almost always better as you can make it work. Also, many are just not well practiced in how to operate their bipod efficiently.

Perhaps in your current area in your progression an ipsc target seems to be definition of precision. But it won’t be when you get better. The point I’m making though, is that it won’t be because of your bipod, a little cant, your ammo, etc etc why you missed the 2moa target @ 500yds. You don’t need extremely precise equipment. You need dependable easy to deploy equipment in this game.

Reactions: Newbie2020