• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS DIY barricades (pics encouraged)

Krazy Korean

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2018
Hello,
I was wanting to build another barricade to practice with. I currently have barrels, tank trap, skills barricade with a couple pipes in the middle that are 2" and 1", and a mobile barricade built into a collapsible sawhorse that I saw in a video. Looking for cattle gate ideas, and something to work on lower positions between prone and sitting. Any pictures of barricades or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5c8afc611c3bd.jpg

I believe about 72 inches. I’ve built another that is smaller in width. Only 2 sections that are PRS barricade in height, and 30 inches of cattle gate. The gate comes from tractor supply and I believe are less than $50. I’ve got a few buddies that split the gate in half and built 2 units from 1 gate. Theirs are only 48” wide.

Reactions: camocorvette
Hello,
I was wanting to build another barricade to practice with. I currently have barrels, tank trap, skills barricade with a couple pipes in the middle that are 2" and 1", and a mobile barricade built into a collapsible sawhorse that I saw in a video. Looking for cattle gate ideas, and something to work on lower positions between prone and sitting. Any pictures of barricades or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Consider adding a roof-top barricade, me and my brother-in-law built a 7/12 pitch complete with shingles on it.. In hindsight tho, a shallower roof pitch (4/12 or 5/12) might give you more practice on how not to jam a mag into the shingles causing feeding issues? nice barricade Rugster

I’ll try to get a photo of my roof top, it’s adjustable in pitch from VERY steep all the way to barely pitched. Also consider a tank trap, those seem to be at every 2 day match.

Photo of a buddy on the rooftop I built. You can see it rests of a piece of piping that goes through the holes on the stanchion posts. You can choose the height you want based on the holes you use, which also induces more/less angle. Cotter pins fit through holes I drilled in the ends of the pipe to keep them from sliding themselves out.

5c901ead178f0.jpg

I think I may have copied your saw horse idea if you did a YouTube video and a link. Really appreciate all of the videos people do of their practice routines. Gives a lot of useful information. Ruggles, you make some good stuff. I am going to add to my barricade I have by the garage with some pipes.

Attachments

• 20190312_142214.jpg
    20190312_142214.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 733
I saw these plans awhile ago on another page and decided to make one. I really like it. It’s easy to fold down and throw in the back of a car or truck. It works great.

Attachments

• 92F0590A-27C7-4AD1-AAF3-ABF2D36509CC.jpeg
    92F0590A-27C7-4AD1-AAF3-ABF2D36509CC.jpeg
    879.8 KB · Views: 1,885
  • 1D806BD0-BD71-4A06-ABE8-131E8E02D73E.jpeg
    1D806BD0-BD71-4A06-ABE8-131E8E02D73E.jpeg
    922.5 KB · Views: 1,829
  • F0E0454A-D82E-4B9F-BECB-D96845F2822B.jpeg
    F0E0454A-D82E-4B9F-BECB-D96845F2822B.jpeg
    503.9 KB · Views: 1,535
  • DC26706F-0112-4E27-8A97-B5938A132A31.jpeg
    DC26706F-0112-4E27-8A97-B5938A132A31.jpeg
    492.6 KB · Views: 1,543
I saw these plans awhile ago on another page and decided to make one. I really like it. It’s easy to fold down and throw in the back of a car or truck. It works great.
That's a really cool idea with the hinges. I copied the vtac barricade, and have to just toss it in the truck bed however it fits. Add to that, steel, hangers, other wooden stands, rifle cases, the list goes on. Kudos on the compact transport.

That's a really cool idea with the hinges. I copied the vtac barricade, and have to just toss it in the truck bed however it fits. Add to that, steel, hangers, other wooden stands, rifle cases, the list goes on. Kudos on the compact transport.

Thanks. It does make it pretty portable. I’m trying to build a few other props that I can either fold up or take down and put together at the range with very little trouble.

I made some practice props also. A simple barricade that breaks down off of the 2 stands. A rooftop that converts to a floating platform as well. I used gas pipe fittings to support the roof in notches in the 2x6 uprights for 3 different roof pitches. I added a front peak section since this picture was taken. The recoil actually makes the platform sway.
barricade.jpg
rooftop.jpg
floating platform.jpg

I made some practice props also. A simple barricade that breaks down off of the 2 stands. A rooftop that converts to a floating platform as well. I used gas pipe fittings to support the roof in notches in the 2x6 uprights for 3 different roof pitches. I added a front peak section since this picture was taken. The recoil actually makes the platform sway.
View attachment 7073608View attachment 7073609View attachment 7073610
That floating platform pal.... Looks awesome!!!! Do you have any diagrams for it by any chance? Cheers!

Reactions: goneballistic
Floating platform is awesome and difficult. Whatever you build make it difficult. Rooftop is not so tough unless they make you shoot weakside

Reactions: patriotnation
A lot of awesome pictures! Gives me some ideas for a winter project.

I like the step ladder & used it as well, but I got tired of hauling it out & wanted something I could leave in the field. I still use the step ladder for dryfire practice in the house.

I like the step ladder & used it as well, but I got tired of hauling it out & wanted something I could leave in the field. I still use the step ladder for dryfire practice in the house.

Funny. I'm just the opposite. My fancy wooden thing a ma jig is in my backyard. I haul my nice collapsible lightweight ladder to and from my shooting spot.

If I go to my actual range there are bunches of barricades, bars, tractor tires, rooftops and other toys to play on.

I copied the VTAC barricade and slightly changed some of it to my liking. Works well and it’s wobbly. Just like the barricades I shoot off in competition. If most of the matches you shoot have wobbly ones make yours wobbly also. I practice in my backyard doing dry fire with a DFAT

Attachments

• 98EAED8E-ABA4-4887-96EB-3B6DE058595D.jpeg
    98EAED8E-ABA4-4887-96EB-3B6DE058595D.jpeg
    969.1 KB · Views: 681
  • A9414598-0903-4CC1-82BC-2CEB28189B53.jpeg
    A9414598-0903-4CC1-82BC-2CEB28189B53.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 789
I believe about 72 inches. I’ve built another that is smaller in width. Only 2 sections that are PRS barricade in height, and 30 inches of cattle gate. The gate comes from tractor supply and I believe are less than $50. I’ve got a few buddies that split the gate in half and built 2 units from 1 gate. Theirs are only 48” wide.
Where do you find the PRS barricade dimensions? I looked on their site last night and couldn’t find it.

Where do you find the PRS barricade dimensions? I looked on their site last night and couldn’t find it.

FYI before you start cutting wood, think I heard they just lowered the standard height on this so make sure you have the latest dimensions.

FYI before you start cutting wood, think I heard they just lowered the standard height on this so make sure you have the latest dimensions.
That will actually make my life better since I rarely hit my head on stuff.

Yea you’ll want to see the updated dimensions. I imagine they are posted in the PRS rulebook but they made some changes and there are now 2 options for the upper barricade height.

wow some great ideas and i'm super jealous of some of your backyards!

regarding the prs barricade:

Barricade Dimensions • Positions 1 and 2 are 52”-54” tall x 48” wide x 4”-5” thick. • Positions 3 and 4 are 28”-30” tall x 72” wide x 4”-5” thick. • Positions 1 and 2 will change to 48”-50” by the end the 2019 season to allow time for the MDs to update their barricades for shorter shooters. During the 2019 season MDs are encouraged to update their barricades to meet the new measurements. Both measurements are authorized for the 2019 season.

Finally had time to get my tank trap together. Will be working on a roof top attachment for it and one other barrier.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_185305_910.jpg
    IMG_20200418_185305_910.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 609
Reactions: Kane0519
I used to use a fancy wooden gig, all cut up with ledges and holes. Then I stepped up to this. Its foldable, super lightweight, easy to pack up, and quite honestly, works about the same.

Edit; Oh! And I forgot to add... it doubles as a ladder. ;)

Ive never seen anyone use a ladder.What a unique idea.

Here’s one I made two weeks ago. 4x6 crossarms for base and stand, 2x6 for support, everything bolts together, even the 4x8 top to the back. Allows it to swing easily to adjust and keeps everything supported.
F1664336-7CCF-4654-A6D9-4C2788A9D7FC.jpeg
5528F9F4-6415-4A73-AE8B-92E4EC60F39D.jpeg
91F0C879-4084-4B72-903C-D2B80042090C.jpeg

Threw together a tank trap and barricade this spring for my range. Barricade folds in half to fit in the bed of my truck. It's a little wobbly so I might throw a lag bolt through the middle when I'm shooting to snug things up.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoobieJ and km77
For those of you looking for portable....
Triangle ladder steps on both sides
X4 2×4 8' long cut into 4' length = 4' sections
X8 clamps (Irwin or other quick clamps)
Place boards through ladder and clamp boards.
Should be simple enough pics arent needed.

I shoot at home so I dont need portable but I see the question asked alot.
Most people need a ladder soooooo.

I have thought about other simple designs and it's not hard to make inexpensive portable ones. Less than 75$

Reactions: CBeck