• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk PRS Production class scope options

flatlander

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2003
Eastern NC
My wife and daughters gave me a MPA BA PMR for Fathers day/Bday and so I'm looking for a scope which keeps me within the production class rules. I've done some searching and haven't really seen anything specific to my question.

Please share what some good choices would be!

Please note, I own a GAP built rifle w USO scope and could easily shoot Tactical or open class, but production class interest me and for now I plan on shooting in this division.

Thanks

Todd

My understanding is that the Bushnell DMR2 Pro is now production legal as they list the scope for $1999 normally on their website, but you may want to verify that with the PRS before ordering (NOTE: The Pro is currently only listed under open box deals on the Bushnell website for some reason, and it's sold out, but does show the normal $1999.99 price). The Pro is still listed as on sale through GA Precision for $1399 and includes a free Kestrel Sportsman. IMO, that GAP deal on the Pro would be the way to go, as long as the PRS verifies it is indeed production legal.

Edit: I just checked with Ken at GAP, and the sale is good through the 22nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: flatlander
Tract Toric PRS is another good option
- very nice reticle which is similar to the EBR7c(razor gen II reticle)

I recently tested the Tract, definitely an upgrade for me, coming from a PST II

most scopes in the $1000-$2000 should be ok
as long as they have the following options, you should be ok:
1. windage marks in 0.5mil(ideally 0.2mil increments)
2. some type of Christmas tree reticle helps
3. Zero stop
4. adjustable mag
5.matching turrets to reticle(moa/moa, or mil/mil)

Athlon Cronus BTR, Vortex Razor HD gen 1, and the Bushnell DMR 1/2 on the high end.

Vortex PST gen 2 on the cheaper end.

As many have mentioned to me, pick the scope the the reticle you like best. You'd be surprised at how long you'll stick with a scope due to a reticle you love.

I'm running that rifle and a Vortex Viper PST Gen 1, but the Razor Gen 1 will work. Just make sure you're checking the MSRP of the scope on the manufacturer's website and not just the sale price or whatever another distributor is selling it for. Keep it under $2,000 and it will keep you in Production.

Last edited:
Probably catch some flack on this, but I have a flack jacket . . . .

OP might want to take a look at the Hawke Optiks New Frontier 30 SF FFP 4-20 Mil Pro. Checks all the boxes.

I'm new to this game (PRS), but not to high quality, accurate rifles and optics. I'm gonna "dip my toe in the PRS waters" with the above scope atop a Bergara HMR or HMR Pro. If I choose to pursue PRS further, then take a closer look at my setup. If nothing else, I can always put the scope on a prairie dog gun.

that's awesome! does your wife have a sister? Athlon as stated above gives you a lot of scope for the price.

I got the Vortex Razor HD first gen. as I want to try the production class. Currently msrp of $1999, but I got a much better deal through my ExpertVoice account.

Have not mounted it, or shot with it yet. So only going by what "checked the box" for my price range and the class rules.

There are plenty of very good (but maybe not great compared to the next class up) of scopes that work, here are ones that I know people in production are shooting

Athlon Chronus BTR
Vortex Razor HD gen 1
Vortex PST genii
Leupold VX-3i LRP

I've been using the Cronus BTR for over a year in matches and it has been spot on as far as tracking goes, the glass is really good too. I can definitely recommend this scope.

Edit: call Doug at cameralandny and ask about them when you're price comparing the options. Let him know youre a hide member.

Considering the same:
I have Athlon Cronus BTRs one on my Ruger Precision rimfire bought another one for the MPA PMR to shoot production with the same scope on both rifles however I have a
Viper PST Gen II
Ares ETR
Ares BTR (not even a chance)
and just got the new Strike Eagle 5-25 and I’m really feeling that this is the better scope Viper Versus Strike Eagle
I’m considering selling my second NIB Cronus and putting the stike eagle on my 22 and running the Cronus BTR on the MPA PMR. So DM me if interested. Also anybody else tried out this Eagle? its crazy good for the money.

Does anyone have updates on what are the most “high end” and best quality scopes that qualify for production class now under the $2k mark?
I see that Bushnell now lists the Elite Tactical XRS II 4.5-30x for $1949 on their website. I’m looking at the Bushnell versus the NightForce NX8 2.5-20x50 right now, but I’m open to other options for production class that are high performers. Any other higher quality options that I’m missing?

The main thing for me (besides reliability) is optical quality. I own or have owned NF, Leupold Mark6, Kahles and Hensoldt scopes on the top end and I’m picky about optical quality. I’ve previously owned lower level scopes like Vortex Viper PST and some other options, and I’m not really interested in compromising the optical quality to save a few hundred bucks.

Reactions: deersniper
Does anyone have updates on what are the most “high end” and best quality scopes that qualify for production class now under the $2k mark?
I see that Bushnell now lists the Elite Tactical XRS II 4.5-30x for $1949 on their website. I’m looking at the Bushnell versus the NightForce NX8 2.5-20x50 right now, but I’m open to other options for production class that are high performers. Any other higher quality options that I’m missing?

The main thing for me (besides reliability) is optical quality. I own or have owned NF, Leupold Mark6, Kahles and Hensoldt scopes on the top end and I’m picky about optical quality. I’ve previously owned lower level scopes like Vortex Viper PST and some other options, and I’m not really interested in compromising the optical quality to save a few hundred bucks.

The XRS2 is only $1949 with a Horus reticle, FYI. Go with the G3 or G3i and you can knock $150-250 off that.

The XRS2 is only $1949 with a Horus reticle, FYI. Go with the G3 or G3i and you can knock $150-250 off that.
I have ExpertVoice pricing/discount access to Bushnell, so the advertised price is really only relevant so much as it qualifies for PRS production class. I know that the XRS2 and NX8 are at the top of the range for PRS production class, and I’m just wondering if there’s anything else comparable that I’m overlooking.

I have ExpertVoice pricing/discount access to Bushnell, so the advertised price is really only relevant so much as it qualifies for PRS production class. I know that the XRS2 and NX8 are at the top of the range for PRS production class, and I’m just wondering if there’s anything else comparable that I’m overlooking.

If you qualify for EV, you probably qualify for the discount program direct with Bushnell. Go that route and you order direct from Bushnell and get free shipping, plus faster order processing.

Can't help you much on other brands, though - I'm a hardcore Bushnell fanboy and gave up on other brands a while back.

Neither of the 2 production shooters that finished in the top-75 of open class at the 2019 finale were shooting the NX8 or a Bushnell variant that have somehow been deemed "the best" in this thread.

So I wouldn't sweat the issue of having the "best" scope possible in production class too much (or in general). Get whichever you prefer and worry about it only once you're shooting 80%+ against the overall match winner.

Last edited:
The Cronus btr is the best scope for under $2k in my humble opinion. My shooting buddy couldn’t believe how clear the glass is and how good it performs

I just sent a note to the PRS people asking if the Burris XTR III qualifies since Burris list the price on their website as a maximum of $1941 but the MSRP is >$2K.

A LOW budget option is the Sightron Pinnacle. The tree reticle works fine. Downside is a 50mm objective, but do you need that... really? It has a 34mm tube. It seems to be the same thing as that well-regarded Weaver Tactical scope and seems to share similar attributes as other more current LOW scopes. It can be had for $800 (refurb directly from Sitemark) or $1200 (on Sitemarks own website). You can cap the windage. It's very tempting, if not "too good to be true".

Ug... I really wanted that Burris but I'm not going to let $200 disqualify me from the class I wish to be in.

Ug... I really wanted that Burris but I'm not going to let $200 disqualify me from the class I wish to be in.

It's a shame bc that SCR 2 looks really nice! You could do the 3-18 option, typically you spend most of your time in the 10-15 range anyways...fwiw

Reactions: HousePlant
I wouldn't have a problem with the 18x if I wanted to spend money on a spotting scope right now. Past 200 yards I can't see hits without the zoom.

The Optika6 5-30 seems to be getting good reports so far, and is well within the price ceiling.
I love mine...I have only shot 5000 rounds or so with it but glass is great....tracks....fell out of the truck didnt lose zero....the parallax rubber came loose is only issue so far but no biggy

Considering the same:
I have Athlon Cronus BTRs one on my Ruger Precision rimfire bought another one for the MPA PMR to shoot production with the same scope on both rifles however I have a
Viper PST Gen II
Ares ETR
Ares BTR (not even a chance)
and just got the new Strike Eagle 5-25 and I’m really feeling that this is the better scope Viper Versus Strike Eagle
I’m considering selling my second NIB Cronus and putting the stike eagle on my 22 and running the Cronus BTR on the MPA PMR. So DM me if interested. Also anybody else tried out this Eagle? its crazy good for the money.
I like my Athlon Cronus BTR on my Remington 700 PRC ..It is very reliable..I do like my two Delta Stryker scopes more. One is 4.5-30x56 FFP and the other is 5-50x56 SFP. Im going to mount it on my custom rifle thats a Borden action and a 26 inch Brux barrel on a McMillan stock. And my other scope thats equal to the Delta Strykers is a TRACT TORIC ELR HD 4.5-30x56.. I really love this scope.Its probably my favorite. Im wanting to try and shoot in F-Class. Ive gotbthe Tract Toric on my Ruger Precision 22 Magnum..Iwas amazed at how accurate it shot.

19739BC2-19FA-4649-AA34-7AA5E29480CC.jpeg

Tract is definitely worth looking into.

Attachments

• 0E35F598-36E7-4A37-9BED-A78FAA5EA3A0.jpeg
    0E35F598-36E7-4A37-9BED-A78FAA5EA3A0.jpeg
    601.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DE74BE17-A7D5-4111-A205-2E4B84932583.jpeg
    DE74BE17-A7D5-4111-A205-2E4B84932583.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 148
Buddy of mine got ahold of one of these several months ago for a review and loved it, and these quickly came on my radar. I just bought a new house so the production class build went on the back burner for a while, but I’m gonna keep my eye on it.
I don’t think I’d pick one of those but if that’s what you like that’s cool. I get it, I like my Cronus and it’s a underdog too. It gets the job done

Now that the rule is $2,500 I think the K624i is the clear best option.

I’ll be over in Open class shooting a Razor HD Gen II. 🤯
What is the list price on the Kahles K624i? I believe that the $2500 limit is for MSRP or list price, not the street price. An article online review states the list price as $2990.

Reactions: Feesh
Steiner T6Xi 5-30 is for sale all over at $2499, but the list price is $2874.99, so, same problem.

The scope manufacturers are missing out on a marketing opportunity not to list these two (Kahles and Steiner) at $2499.

What is everybody's favorite choice for fitting into the $2500 production list price limit today?

Steiner T6Xi 5-30 is for sale all over at $2499, but the list price is $2874.99, so, same problem.

The scope manufacturers are missing out on a marketing opportunity not to list these two (Kahles and Steiner) at $2499.

What is everybody's favorite choice for fitting into the $2500 production list price limit today?
MK5.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
MK5? Too bad the illuminated models push it out of the price cap. Do you compete with the 5-25 or the 7-35? Which reticles do you like (and could you share a little about why? Sorry for the detailed questions, but I am new to this, and not many folks are discussing optics for PRS at this $2500 price cap (I've searched and searched).

According to the 2020 rules (https://www.precisionrifleseries.com/static/media/uploads/2020_prs_rulebook_4_jun.pdf) MSRP is capped at $2k so the none of the 5.5X30 would qualify.

For 2023 (i.e., now) PRS raised the rifle MSRP for production class to $3000, but left the $2500 MSRP for optics in place.

And I am sure this is too late to help @HousePlant but the scope he wanted has had its listing price dropped under $2000 (down to $1749 list price today, on their web site), so it is well under the $2500 limit. What did you end up doing, HousePlant?

PA PLX and PA mount seem to be holding up well for my rifle. Just get the Athena reticle.

Don't sleep on the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 either. Excellent scope for the money in general, and priced for the production class.

Reactions: Rob01
Don't sleep on the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 either. Excellent scope for the money in general, and priced for the production class.

Yup and even the LRP S3 4-25x50 would work and that's even less money. Both under the $2500 cap.

Can anyone chime in on where the LRP S3's are made. I did some googling with no luck and the Optics Database (https://sageratsafaris.com/the-optics-database/) doesn't have them listed. One would think the answer is Germany, but I don't know if they hit this price point, in part, by going somewhere else. Thanks for any insights - looks like a nice package!

Reactions: TreyMeTrey
Can anyone chime in on where the LRP S3's are made. I did some googling with no luck and the Optics Database (https://sageratsafaris.com/the-optics-database/) doesn't have them listed. One would think the answer is Germany, but I don't know if they hit this price point, in part, by going somewhere else. Thanks for any insights - looks like a nice package!
Is this a Zeiss? If so my friend works for them .I can ask Corbin