• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Shooters • Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro • Good Value For Newb?

I'm not on either side of this, but when the first rifle came out it wasn't the sexiest thing in the world. This one is moving the right direction and the fact that DD didn't take their toys and go home after their initial offering was kinda panned by the general public speaks volumes about where they are going. PRS type shooting has a life that no matter how much you love your semi, is waaay bigger than the semi game. As long as PRS is still where the cool kids are, there will be more to come.
Which is a good thing.

I have had a very different experience than you, as I have found rifles to rarely meet the accuracy guarantees. When I hear that X rifle have a guarantee of .5moa, I expect the rifle to be capable of EVERY group to be under .5moa with the right ammo (Most of the time the company claims “factory match grade ammo”). From what I have seen, when you complain about accuracy, the company either 1) tells you that you’re full of shit and it must be your fault, or 2) send the rifle back, they “tested it with their ammo” and it meets the accuracy standard (which is the polite version of “you’re full of shit and it’s your fault”). So anymore, I don’t put any stock in accuracy guarantees, I look at the experiences of people that I trust

I'm not really a fan of DD right now for a couple of reasons. First was their support (initially) of the FixNICS bill, which while I will point out that they have since walked back, I'm getting a little tired of people with lousy instincts re: regulation of the 2A of any sort (looking at you, Crenshaw). It's always bad. ALWAYS.

If you're a respected firearms manufacturer who is known for making the very rifle every anti-gunner wants to ban and you're a trend-setter to 2A supporters and the industry, you need to have it figured out that the political opposition hates you and your customers. If you're too stupid to realize this , you don't deserve to stay in business or earn any of my money.

Second, the intro of the Delta 5 base model baffles me. It never made sense in any way. It's too heavy to be mountain or hunting rifle which is how they've marketed it, the action isn't an improvement upon anything already out there, the trigger isn't their trigger, and while I don't hate on CHF barrels, for a precision rifle most prefer a good Krieger or Bartlein instead of the $600 CHF barrel they offer as a replacement once the factory barrel is shot out.

For the money they want, I can piece together a budget custom on a Mack Bros action with a prefit that isn't some stupid proprietary barrel nut design while still taking advantage of the R700 aftermarket. To make matters worse, for some fucking reason they're trying to charge above sticker right now even though market demand favors ARs and semi-auto fighting rifles, not bolt guns.

Now with the Pro model out, I think they've seen the writing on the wall and are at least marketing it appropriately - kind of. They're aiming at production class, but are as of yet unproven as a company in the territory. I'm sure they make a competent rifle, but with GA Precision, MPA, and so many others in the market space, why would I trust the newcomer with a new rifle and no aftermarket when I can put my trust and money in a company that has been doing this for decades on a proven action footprint? FFS, GA, MPA and all the others were the driving force behind PRS in the first place. In many ways they invented the sport. This seems like an opportunistic cash-grab at the wrong time.

DD isn't known for precision rifles, they're known for good quality ARs, and they do make good ARs. Right now, every fuckin Everytown, Moms Demand Action, and Bloomberg supporting Democrat is rushing around trying to find an AR to defend themselves from other rioting democrats and to defend themselves against the consequences of their own idiotic decision-making. I'm not privy to DD's financials, but I am speaking as a professional who does this for a living when I say that right now DD wants to hammer their strengths rather than trying to get market penetration into a new business segment. Machine time is a finite resource and they can move a lot more product a lot more quickly producing what they're already geared up to manufacture.

As has been said, I'm skeptical of their half-moa claims and skeptical of the support to actually back that up if those figures can't be reproduced. A half-blind smith with palsy can make 168 FGMM shoot well if they take their time - but it takes more to have that translate well to other loads. It's also tricky to have that work for both conventional ogive shapes and VLD designs like Bergers. It's not an easy thing to do and few actually pull it off.

Maybe DD will stick it out long-term with this rifle, but I don't know if they should given the market competition and the direction of the current market.

My $.02

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
I recently received a DD5 pro 26" 6.5 credmoor in olive green. I shoot at the same range where the Delta 5 Pro videos were filmed. Using Hornaday 120gr eld match ammo the rifle shot well under 1/2 MOA . Matter of fact it shot one ragged hole @ 100 yrds while sighting it in. I think it will have even greater potential once I either adjust the trigger down to 1.5 pounds or replace it with a Jewel. I scoped it with a Leupold vx3i 6.5x20 TMR and I was able to hit the smallest 500yrd targets with no problems. I hope DD will offer a butt counter weight in the future. The barrel which is almost an inch thick makes the rifle muzzle heavy. For the price I think it is well worth it.(PS. I'm a left handed shooter and the stock adjustments were fine for me.)

First thought, there’s better options for the money (MPA, GAP, etc)
Second, would have been that difficult to source a better barrel? Bartlein? Krieger? Even Proof? DD barrels might be great for a machine gun, but why can’t they leave the precision rifle barrels to people who have been doing it for decades.
Third thought, seems like a fanboy rifle.
Fourth thought, if the delta 5 was a great platform, there would be an aftermarket for it by now (maybe this exists, but I haven’t seen it)

Just my opinion.

Edit- the PPR from GA Precision is the same price. IMO I don’t know why someone would even consider the DD at that point.
I’m just seeing this, no clue how, but figured I’d comment. I have a Daniel defense dd5 that’s had about 3500 rounds put through it and I rarely do anything but run a brush through it every 500 or so. It still is .75/.5 moa off a bench easy with factory ammo and a trigger tech. I think if you compared a Daniel defense barrel post 3 years of heavy competition you’d find that their “machine gun” barrel would hold up with the expensive manufacturers if not out last them completely. Also this rifle is $2500 total vs a $1000 MPA or MDT chassis and you’d still have to spend at least 1500 on a barreled action and trigger to have anything decent like a bartlein etc. so they are priced competitively as well! I’d love to have one! Hope to see one at a match soon!!

I like the looks of it, but Im a fanboy, he scalloped chassis seems like a nice touch. I sold my Tikka T3 with Roedale Precision chassis like a jackass, and looking to get back in the game shooting one round an hour in this drought.

The new Tikka's have pretty wonky action / bolts, so this is probably it for me.

Anyone seen them around? Or...just wait?

You mean like this one?
I only do chassis rifles. For the money this DD rifle can't be beat. Was looking at the MPA BA but they cheaped out and only has adjustment screws on the buttstock. Also looking at the Badrock and Christensen. Would love to build my first one but it's pretty impossible for under $3k with the price of actions, chassis and barrels. If I bought that GA I would have to ditch the stock and go chassis and that's $1K.

For the money this DD rifle can't be beat.

Reactions: Junco Grande
  • $999 Kelbly's Atlas Tactical from Bullet Central
  • $189 TT Special
  • $450 Shouldered Preft in caliber of your choice (to OP's question, 6.5 Creedmoor is NOT a good option, but whatever you want, I guess.)
  • $850 KRG Bravo/X-Ray with Arca accessories/enclosed forend
$2488. There are so many arguments against the DD.

• $600 Tikka donor action with trigger
  • $450 shouldered prefit barrel in your choice of caliber and contour (for PRS, barrel contour = balance, which is more important than accuracy guarantees)
  • $75 Nightforce pic rail
  • $1200 MDT ACC || tricked out MPA BA chassis
$2325. This leaves you room for a premium cut-rifled barrel, and gets you one of the best PRS chassis systems ever designed.

Iv own a ga production and my friend had the delta five. I’d chose the ga every day of the week. Both shot good but the deltas bolt sucked
Really gritty feeling and skipped over the round quit a bit. Balance wasn’t great and the promise of replacement barrels was bull. I wouldn’t pay 1500 for it damn sure not 2500.

Reactions: st1650 and Stoweit
I just want to point out that DD is using cold hammer forge stainless barrels. I’m not aware or any other barrel manufacturer doing that. That should yield a superior barrel, all things being equal.

• Haha
Reactions: Tokay444
I just want to point out that DD is using cold hammer forge stainless barrels. I’m not aware or any other barrel manufacturer doing that. That should yield a superior barrel, all things being equal.
My Tikka barrel is cold hammer forged. Same for Howa. Cut Rifled barrels are the standard for precision rifles.

Reactions: Tokay444
I have shot 2 of these rifles, one at an industry show and another from a guy I met at a range. Additionally, there is one of these for sale in a store near by that refreshed my memory.
The meh- The chassis is nothing crazy, it is fine but I am not impressed and somehow they made the decision to not make it folding. It definitely does not beat out the other comp chassis, in my opinion. Accuracy is plenty good, I shot about .75 moa in 5 shot groups (no doubt it could do better). The trigger is plenty fine, but not top tier.

The bad- These guns have some of the worst bolts I have used on a gun over $1k. I have complained on here that my Bergara HMR bolt was kinda bindy, and gritty. The DD was worse in all 3 examples, and is unacceptable for a gun of this price range. If you want to join the "accurate gun with a mediocre bolt club" Savage is cool. They have all felt like your pushing the bolt through sand and grit.

When I started I bought a Tikka TacA1 for $1600, which has one of the best production actions made and was a very sub MOA gun. That action remains awesome in a Cadex chassis now. So, I have a hard time seeing how the DD is somehow a best in class buy when I am already veeeeery dissatisfied with the action-the core of the rifle- right off the bat. I can't imagine wanting the DD over a Tikka CTR in a KRG chassis or something.

Reactions: Stoweit
Probably the least desired method.

CHB are done to keep cost low not for quality! DD always cost more than it should.
CHF is more costly and is only done by 4 manufacturers in the US. HK sent their blanks to DD to have their barrels finished when the MR 556 was first released.

Last edited:
If they released the chassis in a left hand variant I’d definitely pick one up. Alas, that’s not gonna happen so foowey. Definitely an improvement over the original D5 from what I’ve seen

Last edited:
Because it’s cheaper?
No, because single point cut rifle barrels are MUCH less likely to build/retain stresses that cause them to wander as they heat up. CHF may be the bees knees for bullet hoses, machine guns, and dirt berm blasters, but cut rifles rule the roost in the precision world. If CHF were better, I am confident that Bartlein and Kreiger would be doing it. Fact is, they are not.

CHF is more costly and is only done by 4 manufacturers in the US. HK sent their blanks to DD to have their barrels finished when the MR 556 was first released.
It’s more costly on the initial investment, but amortizes over the extremely high volume output quite quickly. No one WANTS a hammer forged barrel.

This is one of the dumbest things I have read here.

The cheapest guns in the world and the most expensive use CHF. Its all in how they are built.

The method the barrel is made has little to do with its quality.

CHB are done to keep cost low not for quality! DD always cost more than it should.
Wrong.

CHF can produce excellent barrels, if you are willing to put in the time and investment.

Examples: Sako/Tikka, FN & KAC. FN & KAC being notable for superior chroming as to not degrade barrel accuracy.

The DD is a joke of a rifle however so I would agree its overpriced. They throw PRS a bunch of sponsorship money is only reason anyone is even talking about it.

Reactions: Patriot Cerakote
Wrong.

CHF can produce excellent barrels, if you are willing to put in the time and investment.

Examples: Sako/Tikka, FN & KAC. FN & KAC being notable for superior chroming as to not degrade barrel accuracy.

The DD is a joke of a rifle however so I would agree its overpriced. They throw PRS a bunch of sponsorship money is only reason anyone is even talking about it.
How many of those barrels hold records for accuracy and precision?

How many of those barrels hold records for accuracy and precision?
Its not about holding records. The statement was made that they are not good barrels, when depending on the use, they are sometimes the optimal solution.

There are good reasons and not so good reasons to manufactured CHF barrels.

If you aren't reloading and tailoring ammo to your barrel then its not even a discussion. Factory ammo is going to shoot worse than any of the premium CHF barrels are capable of.

Its not uncommon to see SAKO or Tikkas hold 1/2 moa, and its expected CL CHF barrels from KAC will hover around .5-.75. The FN SPR which was one of the most accurate factory bolt guns you could buy, all came with accuracy guarantee were..............................

You guessed it, Chrome Lined CHF barrels. Benefit being you can get 10-20k rounds from a barrel before seeing accuracy degrade. For heavy volume institutions, this is a huge benefit and reduced down time and need for as many backup rifles.

Not everyone is trying to set records. If the accuracy meets the requirements of whatever your goal is, then its acceptable.

For absolute accuracy potential, yea I will always take a cut rifle barrel from one of the known quantities. We aren't talking about that however.

I don’t think CHF barrels are taking over PRS any time soon. YMMV, but I doubt it.

Lots of guys shooting production class, factory class ect with Tikkas and CHF in PRS and NRL Hunter FYI. Sako and Tikka will probably be the most popular NRL Hunter factory class out there since they are both hammers and the S20 is basically a chassis system with a guaranteed sub MOA barrel.

No one said shit about taking over PRS. Stick to the subject instead of deflecting when you a proven wrong.

No, because single point cut rifle barrels are MUCH less likely to build/retain stresses that cause them to wander as they heat up. CHF may be the bees knees for bullet hoses, machine guns, and dirt berm blasters, but cut rifles rule the roost in the precision world. If CHF were better, I am confident that
This is one of the dumbest things I have read here.

The cheapest guns in the world and the most expensive use CHF. Its all in how they are built.

The method the barrel is made has little to do with its quality.
CHF is only offered on the highest grade firearms. It creates some of the strongest barrel steel. Up to a few years ago FN and DD were the only ones doing it. The cheapest is CMV 4140 steel and button rifled. 4150 CMV is M4 TDP spec. A hammer forge is 500K. While, as another poster added, that it may be ideal for crew served and semi/auto rifle steel, it may not be ideal for precision rifles. I’m definitely not invested either way, but I am curious.

Just a small note. Some of the cheapest guns in the world use HF barrels as well. Its not a black/white thing. Once the machinery is amortized you can make some incredibly cheap and fast barrels. Lots of the "big" companies do this, you need lots of volume to make it worth it.

At the same time, it can be done at a high level. FN, HK, KAC, DD, Beretta Group, ect. All of those companies make service rifles that are among the leaders in accuracy.

There is nothing wrong with a good 4140 or 4150 CMV barrel. Its a chrome molybdenum vanadium (hence CMV) alloy of steel. Its used for its durability, toughness, resistance to corrosion and strength. Who makes the barrel and what level of quality assurance and control as well as acceptance standards is much more important than what material the barrel is made from or what method was used.

People get so caught up in the marketing bullshit but have no idea what the actual science and reasoning behind using a certain material or process.

So I actually have one in 6.5 and I thoroughly like it. The bolt is a bit rough but once cleaned and oiled and then worked a bit it's not as terrible as straight out the box. It is definitely something to get used to. I have mine sporting a leupold mk5 HD 3.6-18 with a horus 59 and I love it. I'll be honest though I also don't have the money to go our on a custom rifle.
I landed in the dd5 pro because I had paid off a certain LMT rifle that was still 2 years late in delivery and talked to the middleman into giving me a refund at his shop. There was nothing else similar to the LMT at his shop so I went with the daniel and I don't regret it. It's accuracy is fantastic compared to what I'm used to. I would say give her a chance she's no AI but she's definitely an option for some people.

The new Tikka's have pretty wonky action / bolts, so this is probably it for me.

How so, as far as I'm concerned they have the smoothest factory action on the market. I'd take a tikka over my stiller action everyday of the week.

Let's see, from my weightless amateur perspective... 85 posts and my summary is that 98% say there are better options and the other 2% like it because it has DD printed on it.