• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PSA: Don't let your bolt gun fall with the bolt open while cleaning it. **UPDATE: FIXED**

BOOOOOOOM

Screenshot_20191220-120155_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20191220-120203_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20191220-120217_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20191220-120243_Photos.jpg
15768724679002348396016948413147.jpg
15768728223777462168586488859922.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191220-120444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191220-120444_Gallery.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 138
Sucks that happened to you and glad you got it fixed.

This thread highlights some of the key reasons why I own an AIAX and not an M10.

Reactions: deersniper
Wow. This appears to be a violation of one cardinal rule of user-friendly product design, which is "try really hard to ensure that the cheapest and/or easiest-to-replace part fails first".

Hopefully the manufacturer gets you back up and running ASAP.

That is an excellent point I am sad I didn't think of myself. The bolt handle should absolutely shear away (etc) before the bolt itself breaks.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Definitely stronger now than it was!

Get that sucker DLC coated now and you’ll never know a difference.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
The bolt would be supported by the receiver if it were either in the locked position or at least in the forward position. In other words if the bolt were closed I doubt any serious damage would have been sustained.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Just had exact same thing happen to me on a stuck case as I tried to man handle it open.... except the bolt is still locked in rifle :(

will try to send this to beretta to get it fixed.... fingers crossed

Pics?
Just had exact same thing happen to me on a stuck case as I tried to man handle it open.... except the bolt is still locked in rifle :(

will try to send this to beretta to get it fixed.... fingers crossed

Fuuuuuuck. That situation is 10x worse than mine. Best of luck and I hope customer service gets something figured out. Indeed you were using factory ammo when that happened?

looks like cheap Chinese pot metal breaking to me but I guess allowing your guns to fall isn't a good idea piking them up and dropping a gun is a terrible thing to do followed closely by picking up a newborn baby and dropping them while they may bounce its bound to cause problems They are not basketballs lol

Reactions: spife7980
Reactions: sandwarrior
At first I thought there had to be something like a "one-time" drop at the factory or something. That someone in QC didn't catch. This is looking like a bad design, or the metal was improperly hardened. A combination of both?

FWIW, Tikka's were always known as good quality rifles (595, 695) pretty much on par with Sako's. It's when Beretta bought them, they started cheapening everything. This is clearly a design, with improper metal hardening, that isn't going to work. I won't trash them as I've seen them shoot outstanding. But, this kind of shit isn't outstanding, it's borderline dangerous. What if this thing had broken while you attempted to extract a live round? Now you have a live round in the chamber and that limits how you can get it out. Pretty fucked I think.

I understand there's going to be heavier, better built rifles from one company to another. But, I am sick of seeing companies cheapen rifles to the point they become throw away, just so Billie-Jo Bobby Dumbfuck can have a deer rifle. Rifles need to be made of a STRONG minimum standard quality from the start. Billie-Jo Bobby Dumbfuck don't need to shoot a deer if he won't buy a decent rifle. That design will carry up to our target competition and tactical rifles. The shit quality rifles coming out today needs to stop.

Last edited:
This sucks, I just spent about $2500 on one of these because everyone on here and YouTube bragged about how smooth and accurate they are. I'm pretty rough on stuff on the clock so I'm probably going to rip the handle off during a match. Looks like my continuation of wasting money and time will never end

This sucks, I just spent about $2500 on one of these because everyone on here and YouTube bragged about how smooth and accurate they are. I'm pretty rough on stuff on the clock so I'm probably going to rip the handle off during a match. Looks like my continuation of wasting money and time will never end
Make no mistake, both my Tikka's blow remmy's outta the water. Hell, they keep up with custom rigs in the accuracy department. After I welded my bolt handle I did a competition and had no issue whatsoever. Things happen and I would buy another one. Hell, you look at the main Tikka thread here and the fact there's a lack of issues reported is a great thing. People are more likely to report bad shit than good shit especially when you empty a good chunk of change from your wallet on a rifle.

I don’t think it’s a hardening issue. It’s a cheap pot metal issue. Not all metal can be “properly hardened.”

Thou shalt not speak ill of Muh Remington, however slight.

3 of my current 4 R700s have handles brazed on in the 5 and 6 digit era. The 5th one, in production, also has one of those 6 digit high nickle steel bad boys that I expect to be in pace after nuclear Armageddon.

I expect even my sprightly young G receiver handle will be just fine.

I have been at class and saw a students puzzled look as he lay there with Remington bolt handle in right hand and bolt in rifle locked on a fired round.

It brings tears to my heart for the pain that dude was feeling at that point.

I avoid arm workouts for specifically this concern.

This reminds me......I have a bolt at LRI that some genius destroyed the bolt body with a dremel.

I should ask @LongRifles Inc. if they can take that sweet 5 digit bolt handle off the fucked up bolt body and braze it on to a new bolt body to have as a spare.......

Willing to pay for that work Chad if you have a spare bolt body laying around or I could have a body shipped from PTG - prefer a Remington bolt though.

Reactions: clcustom1911
Gents, I had no issue with accuracy, it was amazing (especially coming off from Rem 700), was getting 1/3 MOA consistently, but was certainly not expecting this shit.

As far as what is stuck (several people PMed me concerned...)

It's a sized, unprimed case, with a bullet just started in the case mouth, was trying to determine OAL to lands (and yes, I'm aware that hornady has a tool to do this, and I own it, but I don't have a special 6.5 cartridge for it)

Gents, I had no issue with accuracy, it was amazing (especially coming off from Rem 700), was getting 1/3 MOA consistently, but was certainly not expecting this shit.

As far as what is stuck (several people PMed me concerned...)

It's a sized, unprimed case, with a bullet just started in the case mouth, was trying to determine OAL to lands (and yes, I'm aware that hornady has a tool to do this, and I own it, but I don't have a special 6.5 cartridge for it)
Buy this to rotate your bolt:

Then get a cleaning rod with female end down your bore and hammer that bitch backwards.

Then get a cleaning rod with female end down your bore and hammer that bitch backwards.

A few people have been injured or killed trying to pound out a live round.

Tikka is a rifle made to a price point with resultant tradeoffs. It happens to be one of the best of that breed, but is still an inexpensive, and inexpensively made, rifle.

They are very smooth and accurate, but at $2500 you are getting into TRG territory. TRG looks similar, but is a different animal entirely.

This will be the last resort, I'll try to give Tikka/Beretta CS a try, after all this supposed to be warrantied. I have another rifle to shoot meanwhile...
If they come back with nothing or try to tell me that its not their issue, I'll go down the road of extraction and tig welding as you have.

I would remove the barrel with an outside action wrench before I would take an extractor to the bolt. Once the barrel is loosened it will take all the pressure off of the lugs and you should be able to remove the bolt with ease.

I understand YOU didn't have a live round. In my first post, I pointed out WHAT IF you had a live round. That's when it gets serious.

agree with you 100%. It unthinkable that I can break a bolt in bolt action rifle with my hand...

I guess reliability was not high in Tikka’s mind, beyond an immediate trouble and disappointment, it has seriously shaken my opinion of tikka/sako rifles.