• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing PTG remington bolt plunger

frankythefly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2010
Colorado
I have a new rifle that was built with a new PTG one Piece bolt, I am having issues with extracting. Cases seem to be hitting the bottom of the ejection port, then bouncing upward and hitting the scope base, landing in the bolt way. Upon Further inspection I noticed that for some Reason PTG placed a smaller plunger and relocated it 30 degrees from a Factory remington bolt. I tried a factory bolt and it spit the cases out right in the middle of the port with plenty of clearance, No matter how fast I manipulated the bolt.

Has anyone else experienced this issue yet?

Not Sure what to do, was thinking of calling PTG and seeing if they can give me a new bolt with a factory bolt head.

Re: PTG remington bolt plunger

Your plunger spring may also be a bit stiff plus look at the extractor as the op said above.

It has the sako installed, It doesn't have any issues pulling the round out it is the angle of ejecting which it is doing so which seems to be the problem. My old bolt has the sako extractor in the same place as the PTG, however the plunger is located at a different location.
Sako-Extractor-Cut-Example.png

Here is a pict of my old bolt:
sakoextractorbolt.jpg

I believe the plunger is located like this one on the PTG

P6226930.JPG

The the OP:

-You're cycling empty cases? Are you doing it slow or at normal speed?
-The SAKO type extractor is the reason the ejector plunger is clocked 30deg from the OEM. The OEM extractor is in line with the lug. The SAKO extractor is moved up to just above the lug, so the ejector plunger is moved around an equal amount.

That said, the case hitting the scope knob or ejection port is a relatively common issue with the SAKO extractor in M700's. You can trying tuning the ejector plunger spring pressure and sometimes it just resolves itself after wearing in. BTW this is magnum boltface? There seems to be more issues with this type of thing in any boltface that is not .473" (.378 or .532 give the most problems).

I am going to post some more pictures later.

My old bolt with the Sako extractor has no issues of hitting the port or anything. I can draw my old bolt back as slows as possible as it still throws them. However the PTG bolt it hits the bottom of the port then bounces back and hits the base and then bounces back and is in the boltway. I have also tried the PTG bolt in a brand new action and is still does the same thing.

does the plunger come all the way to the top of the bolt lip? Sometimes they will have ejection problems when the 'plunger' ejector isn't putting enough pressure on the case, allowing the case to slip out from under the extractor before it is ejected.

This might not be the solution if it is indeed hitting the bottom of the port before it is released from the extractor, but might be worth looking at.

Dave