• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pulsar Therminon scopes

Dunraven

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2019
Getting frustrated with my red Coyote Light. It seems that the moment I spot eyes with it the coyotes disappear, never to be seen again. Would like to have a thermal but have no experience, and am reluctant to buy one without trying it. Probably looking at the midrange pricewise. A buddy uses a Flir, and used it in Afghanistan, but when he sets it up on, say, deer, I see absolutely nothing thru it. Yet he claims he can pick up mice! The Pulsar therminons seem to have plenty of features; I like the idea of mag built in. Would appreciate some input on it. Also, is there anywhere that they can be tried? Can the aftermarket be trusted? Thx.

I spoke with my Pulsar tech rep and he replied:

" I would suggest either Thermion 2 XQ38 or Thermion 2 XQ50. Both have a 384x288 sensor and are solid units that I like using myself. Both have onboard recording with an internal and external batteries with 8 different color pallets. Both have picture in picture mode as well to get your precision shot while keeping your field of view below. Thermion 2 XQ50 will have a larger field of view with a 50mm objective lens."

Your style of hunting and conditions will dictate exactly what would work best for you. That said, I would suggest a look at the Bering Optics Super Hogster or better yet Super Yoter. They imo are the best pound for pound and come with a 4 year warranty. Member Kirsch is a gentleman I personally know who also advocates them and won't steer you wrong. He's one hell of a coyote hunter with a ton of experience.

As far as trying them, I know you can rent from Ultimate Night Vision. I've owned several Pulsars (5 I believe including a XP50 Thermion) and would strongly caution against them. I had issues with every one I owed (not holding zero/poi moving) until selling my final replacement before ever using it. Everyone I personally know who owned a Pulsar dealt with the same zero shift as well. They took care of me on mine but each scope I returned wasn't replaced until the following coyote season. Pure frustration. Looking back I would have rather paid what I did for my first Trail XP 50 to never have owned one! If by aftermarket you mean used, I would ideally want one still covered by the manufacturer's transferable warranty.

One thing I'm confident on is you will want a scanner. Hunting coyotes without one is a problem on so many levels. I consider one nearly a necessity and would sacrifice on the weapon sight to get one. It's a rabbit hole for sure!