• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pushing the limits of the .308

savageshooter623

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2013
Adair Iowa
Hey guys. Just joined up so excuse me if this topic has been covered. I am looking to push a .308 out to 1 mile. Thats right, the whole 1760 yards. Obviously the main challenge with this is passing through the transonic barrier. Does anyone know of a few bullets that dont destabilize way out there? Ive heard of the new bergers, 175 SMK, and the 208 amax, but ANY CONSTRUCTIVE info is appreciated! Iv heard of a few people doing it dont say it cant happen! My twist rate is 1/10 if that makes a difference. Stay positive people!! ;)

howitzer 155's can make the mile mark without going subsonic "positive" just curious why would you try to shoot a .308 out that far "just because" or are you trying to achieve something and if so what??

Might want to talk to Scott McRee at McRee's Precision. I know he's pushed the .308 but I don't know how far.

Thanks! Im in this for the pure challenge. I just want to push the limits of my gun, cartridge, and myself. I realize its not a practical range, but if I can pull it off, it would be an amazing shot by most peoples standards!

I shoot a TRG22-308/20". Twice I have taken it to 1300 yards, both times with 178 gr Hornady BTHP's over varget. Muzzle velocity was 2615fps. Both times I was able to get consistant hits on 2'x2' steel, and the bullets arrived point first. "Shooter App" says that it went subsonic at 1230 yards......so it seems to handle the transonic zone pretty well.

On paper, the bullet might look like it's keyholing because that bullet will be coming in at about a 60-degree angle.
Good luck!

My personal experience with projects that push limits into regions where Angels fear to tread is that the Angels usually have good reasons for their trepidations. Just because I think an idea is good has no bearing on reality. Eventually, you will also learn this bland but inescapable truth. The frustrations of persevering at doing something where many fragile requirements are mandated will eventually rob one of any potential satisfaction in all but an insignificantly small percentage of one's attempts. In other words, there's nearly always good reason why folks generally avoid such exceedingly ambitious challenges.

Last edited:
I hope you have a scope with alot of adjustment and mil/moa hashmarks, and a 40 MOA base. You can also get some Burris signature rings and add another 20 MOA. I think it would be awesome to try.