• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Putting my foot in the door...

SwiftScope

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2018
Fresno, CA
Well as the title states I am looking to get into the precision rifle scene. I've been a long time shooter and an occasional hunter but I want to step my game up. I currently own a Tikka T3x in .308 and absolutely love it. Im looking at making another purchase and have decided I can spend around $1800. Im not really interested in going custom at the moment but i want a solid "out of the box" precision gun.

Im a bit torn over the Tikka Tac A1 and the Bergara HMR Pro both in 6.5 creed. Im leaning towards the Bergara based on the fact that I can go custom with my current Tikka at a later date.

Any suggestions for a newbie are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I still shoot a .308 today. Id put it in a KRG Bravo and get a better scope (little more magnification)

Reactions: SwiftScope
I'd go with the Tikka 8 days a week. JMHO, but I've never seen a Tikka that wouldn't shoot, there are more aftermarket parts than Bergara.

Actually I'd grab a Tikka CTR and then pick a chassis you like. But between the two you mentioned, I'd take the Tac.

Really? T3 has more aftermarket support than the Bergara? I believe the Bergara is pretty much a customized Rem700.
Oh, my bad. Didn't know. Hadn't seen much bergara parts, which is why I assumed the tikka had more aftermarket support. Have seen a few bergaras at the range and shot one of them, but I am no into customs and have no use for a Remington 700, so I don't follow which makers are on a R700 footprint.

I'd still take the tikka 8 days a week though.

I'd go Bergara Pro hands down. I have the HMR in 6.5 and my son in .308, the Hunter B14 in .243 and the Ridge in .270. All out shoot me by a long shot and easily sub MOA using off the shelf ammo. The Bergara's are Remington 700s with a nicer trigger, higher quality, better barrels, etc. I've only handled the Tikka but never had any trigger time so I'm a bit biased. Hit me up if you have any specific questions and will be happy to help answer anything I can.

I'd go Bergara Pro hands down. I have the HMR in 6.5 and my son in .308, the Hunter B14 in .243 and the Ridge in .270. All out shoot me by a long shot and easily sub MOA using off the shelf ammo. The Bergara's are Remington 700s with a nicer trigger, higher quality, better barrels, etc. I've only handled the Tikka but never had any trigger time so I'm a bit biased. Hit me up if you have any specific questions and will be happy to help answer anything I can.
Thanks! Will do. Appreciate it.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
Two other things:

1 - The reason you're getting suggestions for both is that they're both good options. Similar (but opposite) to lostintexas, I am biased towards the Tikka because I've been around too many of them and they all shoot, and shoot really, really well. Never seen a Bergara that wouldn't shoot either, but I've got too much history with the Tikka to recommend anything else. But the bottom line is that both are good rifles.

2 - The biggest compelling reason to get either a Tikka or Bergara is really high quality in a moderately priced factory gun. But by the time you get to this price point, you're into the semi-custom market and low end custom market. You could easily get a Tikka donor for $450 and put a nice chassis and aftermarket barrel on it for another $1300. Or you could get a PVA JHR for just a couple hundred more that's for sure going to be a tack-driver. So I'd caution you a bit about spending $1800 on a factory gun when in my opinion, you could get more performance for your money in the semi-custom market or with a JHR, or by spending half your budget on a CTR or HMR and then spending the rest on glass/ammo. But that's all JMHO - there's nothing wrong with either of these guns if they're exactly what you want.

Two other things:

1 - The reason you're getting suggestions for both is that they're both good options. Similar (but opposite) to lostintexas, I am biased towards the Tikka because I've been around too many of them and they all shoot, and shoot really, really well. Never seen a Bergara that wouldn't shoot either, but I've got too much history with the Tikka to recommend anything else. But the bottom line is that both are good rifles.

2 - The biggest compelling reason to get either a Tikka or Bergara is really high quality in a moderately priced factory gun. But by the time you get to this price point, you're into the semi-custom market and low end custom market. You could easily get a Tikka donor for $450 and put a nice chassis and aftermarket barrel on it for another $1300. Or you could get a PVA JHR for just a couple hundred more that's for sure going to be a tack-driver. So I'd caution you a bit about spending $1800 on a factory gun when in my opinion, you could get more performance for your money in the semi-custom market or with a JHR, or by spending half your budget on a CTR or HMR and then spending the rest on glass/ammo. But that's all JMHO - there's nothing wrong with either of these guns if they're exactly what you want.

This. I'd take a hard look at the PVA if it were me.

I would upgrade the current tikka stock to be adjustable like the krg and look at scopes in the px in that range. That way you can decide what you like and should be easier to get money out reselling if you want. 1800 for a non custom is pushing return on price to me. If you want a higher end bolt gun, I would seriously consider the Hancock or a bighorn build in that price range so you can easily change things down the road (bolt heads etc).

Dropping a pencil barrel 308 into a chassis and running it for a precision gun is terrible advice. That gun is going to heat up quick and a light unbraked 308 isn’t going to be very enjoyable to shoot.

If going that route I’d get a PVA prefit (ideally in a better clambering too) in a heavier contour and threaded muzzle. Should be able to do that and drop it in a chassis for a little over 1/2 if your budget if you go the KRG Bravo route. Then add a better bolt handle and rail and you’re still $1200 max into upgrades and have another $600 left over that could be added to the optic budget.

Or if you want to leave it as a hunting rifle then you can’t go wrong with the Tac A1 you were already looking at. I personally feel that the Tikka is a better rifle than the Bergara but that’s me and I haven’t put my hands on any of the pro rifles, only the entry level and was very unimpressed.

I currently have a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42
This optic is going to hold you back more than your rifle will, using hand loads I have made more that a few 3/8” and two 1/4” 5 round groups with factory Savages and a NightForce NXS that cost 4 1/2 times what the rifle did.

This optic is going to hold you back more than your rifle will, using hand loads I have made more that a few 3/8” and two 1/4” 5 round groups with factory Savages and a NightForce NXS that cost 4 1/2 times what the rifle did.
this will not be going on my new rifle, this is whats on my current tikka T3x, I have also budgeted out money for a new scope on top of what i have for the rifle. appreciate the info though!

For just a little more money you honestly could get a Kelbly Atlas, Defiance Tenacity or Bighorn Origin whatever barrel of your choice drop it into a Grayboe Renegade with M5 bottom metal and TT Special trigger for $300-400 more.
Not knocking Tikka or Bergara as they are very good options but I don't think they compare all that favorably with the route I suggested above.

Bergara and higher end Tikka models are pretty much tied in my opinion. If you plan to change it in the future, Bergara. If you will keep it as is, Tikka. Only because i tend to prefer the Tikka's overal package over the Bergara. Cant really explain why though lol.

Since OP already owns a Tikka the action is a sunk cost, OP should only compare the cost of Tikka upgrades to other actions and components. I don’t own a Tikka but got my booger hooks on one and they are smooth AF, seriously impressive for a factory action.

I shoot a Tac A1 in260 and have run it in a handful of matches. I don’t own a Bergara but I have shot several of my friends Bergaras. I wouldn’t even think of trading my Tikka for any of their Bergara’s. Any and all of them shoot well, but the Tikka in my experience is a more finely crafted rifle.

What are everyone's thoughts on the Remington 700 5r and then taking the extra money and putting a timney trigger set up in it?

You could easily build a Tikka into exactly what you want for the same price or less. I am not a huge fan of factory rem 700 for the money. Or for a couple hundred more a built bighorn origin would be a better use of money. Personally I would just look in the px for used actions/rifles. There were nucleus pre orders and some more affordable custom actions a while ago then add the bravo and a timney or whatever trigger for roughly the same.

You can make just about anything shoot with enough money - the reason Tikka is so popular is that it has accuracy and reliability that far exceed its price tag.

If you really want a remington or something else, go for it. But it's not a better value than the Tikka.

You can make just about anything shoot with enough money - the reason Tikka is so popular is that it has accuracy and reliability that far exceed its price tag.

If you really want a remington or something else, go for it. But it's not a better value than the Tikka.
wise words...thanks

So I've pretty much made up my mind and am going to go with a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor and put it into a chassis.

I've been looking at the Mcree G10 and the XLR Envy chassis. Both seem full featured. I know that the KRG's are the popular choice around here but they just don't do it for me.

Any other suggestions on chassis systems? MDT? MPA?

Reactions: 260284
So I've pretty much made up my mind and am going to go with a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor and put it into a chassis.

I've been looking at the Mcree G10 and the XLR Envy chassis. Both seem full featured. I know that the KRG's are the popular choice around here but they just don't do it for me.

Any other suggestions on chassis systems? MDT? MPA?

I did that very same rifle. 20” CTR 6.5 dropped it in a W3 folder (didn’t want to wait for the MPA). It shot amazing. Sold it for an AX308.

Bergara Pro for sure. Action is amazing and they shoot lights out. They are everything a Remington could be without all the fuss.

Why spend the $900 on a CTR? Sure, it’s a good buy if you’re starting from scratch. You still have to upgrade to a chassis, and the barrel is accurate but it’s a thinner profile and it’s relatively slow. You’re already $500 ahead since you have the receiver, you would be getting a lot more rifle for the money if you just upgrade the T3 you already have. Get PVA to put a solid ass prefit on it, CTR is good but that would be better.

Well as the title states I am looking to get into the precision rifle scene. I've been a long time shooter and an occasional hunter but I want to step my game up. I currently own a Tikka T3x in .308 and absolutely love it. Im looking at making another purchase and have decided I can spend around $1800.Thanks

https://badrockrifles.com/

./

If you're not opposed to gently used, why not pick-up a rifle in the classifieds? I'm amazed at some of the deals that are available over the past 30 days, and with the holidays coming closer, I'm betting you'll have even more opportunities at a nice used rifle. My $.02

Here's how I would handle this situation.
Unless there was sentimental attachment to the tikka I'd sell it and the Diamondback adding approx another $500-600 to the budget. ($2300)
Origin action - $850
Barrel - $525
Barloc - $125
Calvin elite - $200
KRG bravo - $350
Total - $2050
Leaves money for mags, bipod, bags, or whatever your needs may be. Down the road you can buy barrels and bolt heads to run pretty much any SA caliber.

I vote for dropping current gun into a KRG bravo, and using the rest of the budget to upgrade your scope. IMO upgrading your scope will help you way more than upgrading the rifle at this time. Then in a few months/next year/whenever you want, you could do a barrel change to 6.5 creed if you wanted to.

This would leave you about $1400 or so for new scope right now. Lot's of choices in that price range. If that's the route you decide, head over to Rifle scope forum and look around and ask questions. PX would be a good place to find the best price on the scope you end up on.

Small update:

I just purchased a Nikon Black FX1000 4-16x50 yesterday and have changed up my budget a bit and will be putting it onto a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5