• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you recall, the initial release date was April. The Late May/ Early June release came after the screw production had been resolved.

I recall April 16th perhaps? And I believe its was small parts and bolt face.... significantly more labor intensive than "screw"

Ask until your heart is content, it wont change the fact that I dont expect to see anything real for a significant amount of time and that's ok with me. I could have just bought a tikka and been out shooting already... this is my first and only centerfire bolt gun and I'd rather wait and get it right the first time.

I think in a post above, PVA said that was the first production John Hancock rifle which would mean ARC shipped some complete actions to PVA.

That's a milestone for sure but the wait is still going to be a while for people who didn't get in very early orders.

I think in a post above, PVA said that was the first production John Hancock rifle which would mean ARC shipped some complete actions to PVA.

That's a milestone for sure but the wait is still going to be a while for people who didn't get in very early orders.

That would be incorrect. That action was the prototype and not a production run action. The milestone was the finishing of the laser engraving process and now the wait for production actions to finish machining barrels based on final tolerances and spec.

I think some of you need to be on anxiety meds. Chill out and wait. Regardless of what you say or how you interpret something to be said isn't going to get anything to your doorstep any quicker. Quit worrying about your order number, pre/post SHOT orders or whatever it is that has your undies in a bunch. If you didn't realize before you put your money down that there would be a wait, tough shit. Not everything always goes as planned. So it disrupts delivery dates. Get over it.

I think some of you need to be on anxiety meds. Chill out and wait. Regardless of what you say or how you interpret something to be said isn't going to get anything to your doorstep any quicker. Quit worrying about your order number, pre/post SHOT orders or whatever it is that has your undies in a bunch. If you didn't realize before you put your money down that there would be a wait, tough shit. Not everything always goes as planned. So it disrupts delivery dates. Get over it.

100% this.

Reactions: jgs8163
I'm not worried, I'm going to go shoot my Bighorn TL-3 in 22 Creedmore. 80g at 3500 always makes me smile.

A legitimate question here. Trying to future-proof my magazine purchase. My current action will do fine with magazines without binder plates in them and cartridges out to whatever the length can be. 2.97" or something. Will the Nucleus be able to do the same or should I get magazines with binder plates to keep things from catching up under the feed ramp?

A legitimate question here. Trying to future-proof my magazine purchase. My current action will do fine with magazines without binder plates in them and cartridges out to whatever the length can be. 2.97" or something. Will the Nucleus be able to do the same or should I get magazines with binder plates to keep things from catching up under the feed ramp?

The ARC mag has an internal length of 2.96-ish as I recall.
The Nucleus prototype that's in my hands, currently built into a production-intent JHR, it feeds 2.95" COAL 308's without a problem.

Before there is a flurry of speculation here is what "production intent" means

Production Intent is a prototype that is made on

Production Tooling/Workholding/Machinery
Production raw materials (barrel blanks, triggers, stocks, etc)
Production Artwork
Production Packaging
etc

It is, for all intents, a production component but it isn't being sold. It's a T&E for internal review.

We have a Production Intent JHR.

Production barrel blank - check
Production barrel cutting process - check
Production Contour/Chambering/Threading/etc - check
Production stock - check
Production trigger - check
Production Brake - check
Production engraving - check

Production Action - No, we have a pre-production prototype.

We have exactly 1 prototype.
There are exactly 3 prototypes in existence
We have 1
SAC has 1
ARC has 1

That's it.

People have seen them, handled them at SHOT, and some folks have gotten to shoot them when they happen to bump into myself, Ted, or Mark Gordon when one of us happened to be doing test work.

The JHR that I'm taking to the ELR match in 10 days is the production intent gun.
It's a production barrel, trigger, stock, scope, rings, brake, etc. EVERYTHING except the action is a production part and if someone needed it I could take it all apart and hand them everything except the action. It would screw together into a JHR.

But... because of the Marking Variance not being approved yet we do not have clearance by the ATF to allow ARC to laser the JHR logos and markings on the receiver bodies. They're done, sitting at ARC's shop awaiting laser, then nitride, then they come to PVA. Until we get through the milestone of the the marking variance being approved then the PVA work route is to keep knocking out barrels and writing the details with a sharpie.

Once we have a production action in place we will do final fit for clocking and start burning the laser work on the barrels.

The entire world will know when the marking variance comes through, trust me, it will be in the news. Until then, there's no such thing as an estimated date on when the paperwork will come back.

The ARC mag has an internal length of 2.96-ish as I recall.
The Nucleus prototype that's in my hands, currently built into a production-intent JHR, it feeds 2.95" COAL 308's without a problem.

Before there is a flurry of speculation here is what "production intent" means

Production Intent is a prototype that is made on

Production Tooling/Workholding/Machinery
Production raw materials (barrel blanks, triggers, stocks, etc)
Production Artwork
Production Packaging
etc

It is, for all intents, a production component but it isn't being sold. It's a T&E for internal review.

We have a Production Intent JHR.

Production barrel blank - check
Production barrel cutting process - check
Production Contour/Chambering/Threading/etc - check
Production stock - check
Production trigger - check
Production Brake - check
Production engraving - check

Production Action - No, we have a pre-production prototype.

We have exactly 1 prototype.
There are exactly 3 prototypes in existence
We have 1
SAC has 1
ARC has 1

That's it.

People have seen them, handled them at SHOT, and some folks have gotten to shoot them when they happen to bump into myself, Ted, or Mark Gordon when one of us happened to be doing test work.

The JHR that I'm taking to the ELR match in 10 days is the production intent gun.
It's a production barrel, trigger, stock, scope, rings, brake, etc. EVERYTHING except the action is a production part and if someone needed it I could take it all apart and hand them everything except the action. It would screw together into a JHR.

But... because of the Marking Variance not being approved yet we do not have clearance by the ATF to allow ARC to laser the JHR logos and markings on the receiver bodies. They're done, sitting at ARC's shop awaiting laser, then nitride, then they come to PVA. Until we get through the milestone of the the marking variance being approved then the PVA work route is to keep knocking out barrels and writing the details with a sharpie.

Once we have a production action in place we will do final fit for clocking and start burning the laser work on the barrels.

The entire world will know when the marking variance comes through, trust me, it will be in the news. Until then, there's no such thing as an estimated date on when the paperwork will come back.

I know this update was written with the intent to head off anymore questions or specualtion, but it's sure going to be fun to see what everyone read between the lines haha

I know this update was written with the intent to head off anymore questions or specualtion, but it's sure going to be fun to see what everyone read between the lines haha
Winny, are the barrels you recently received for use on a Nucleus build?

There we have it. Waiting on the man. Thanks for the update bohem!

Reactions: bohem
They've just got a few NFA forms to work through before they get to it. NBD.:D
atf papers.jpg

Winny, are the barrels you recently received for use on a Nucleus build?
That's the intent, but since they are savage prefits and I have access to a savage receiver we'll test my patience.

Reactions: jgs8163

I dont think xanax is enough for a couple of these fuckers lol

This thread is about the Nucleus/Hancocks and this may seem unrelated however it's quite pertinent.
The barrels we are making for the Nucleus/Hancocks are extremely good. Though, being the internet, there is always a naysayer that wants to bring up the cut rifled vs. button rifled horse carcass and beat on it a little bit.

Here's another example of just how good the OEM barrels are.

This is a customer submitted photo with a Tikka prefit barrel chambered in 260 Remington.
Noteworthy is not only the group size but also the ES and SD attained during load development.
The blank used was a uncontoured, PVA-OEM 6.5mm 8 twist that we took from an unturned piece of 1.28" material down to a Tikka prefit with our barrel nut. We contoured, chambered, threaded, made the muzzle caps for it in house so that we can control as much of the manufacturing process as possible in house.

As with all of our Tikka line, the barrel nut is included along with the crowfoot wrench... delivered to this customer for $499.

We have Tikka action wrenches shortly available again. They're being black oxide treated right now and upon return will be lasered with torque recommendations before shipping.

tikka 260 prefit.jpg

Fairly positive that posting pics of what the action and barrel can do is only going to increase the anxiety and impatience on this thread.

Reactions: Bender
This is now production class performance thanks to PVA!! This new rifle is gunna be huuuge

Last edited:
Well, with a class and comps coming right up, and me without a rifle, I decided to take one for the team. My Bergara Premier got picked up today as an interim rifle. This all but guarantees the Nuclei will ship next week haha.

Attachments

• 20180606_192305.jpg
    20180606_192305.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 165
Is that a cross between a rifle and a bicycle? Or a rifle and an icicle? :p:eek::cool:
It does seem like it has the potential to shake up the rest of the market in this circle.

LOL. Yup. Why go thru the struggle of stuffing your rifle in the car, when you can just ride it to the range!

Reactions: bohem
This is good.

The bad is my order number is about 1,100 behind him.

I ordered from PVA the day before Shot Show lol, I'm pretty far back in line :c
For the guys ahead of me, post pics, and thoughts! I'm foaming at the mouth!

While the news of the email is good, I have chosen to temper my excitement. It's still single source/unverified info at this point. There are a boat load of us that ordered within 24 hours of the opening that haven't been emailed. There may have been an issue with that individual's order.... who knows?

Reactions: hereinaz
It's probably batch size and I bet ARC only sends out notifications for the batches that are almost ready to ship.

The important thing is that things are beginning to move out of ARC to the customer.

All I want to see is a reasonably consistent flow of actions out of ARC that will hopefully project to a July or August delivery date for me but any projection would be good.

And I'm not asking for a projection, I can figure that out myself once we start to see what rate the actions are coming out at.

Reactions: hereinaz
While the news of the email is good, I have chosen to temper my excitement. It's still single source/unverified info at this point. There are a boat load of us that ordered within 24 hours of the opening that haven't been emailed. There may have been an issue with that individual's order.... who knows?

I ordered before 11:00 am on the first day. Also, I ordered a short action and long action. I only got notification on my short action.

I'm hoping they start rolling off the production line.

Reactions: Squatch245
Well that puts me probably about 400 behind.

If the batches are 50 actions, I'll be batch 9-10 (calling PVA's order #1).

Well that puts me probably about 400 behind.

If the batches are 50 actions, I'll be batch 9-10 (calling PVA's order #1).

All speculation here, but hey, since we apparently can't help but speculate....

ARC order numbers aren't all solely nucleus actions. As Josh stated earlier in this thread, the John Hancock Rifle actions are awaiting variance marking approval through BATFE. This lends me to believe Ted/ARC has completed all of the initial JHR earmarked receivers and is now moving on to other vendors/individual orders. The post above with an invoice supports this theory, and as a business if ARC isn't processing/cutting/moving product they're wasting time/money, so it would be a logical next step. I'm guessing we'll start seeing Nucleus actions going out that are not dependent on the marking variance. This also jives with Josh's updates suggesting early June.

All that said, I'm excited for both ARC and PVA to have this finally coming to market. I'm sure they're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but there's still much work to be done.

Reactions: MLC and lash
You get so heated on this thread. Just relax. All this speculation is at least giving me something to read throughout the day! I'm anxious.. Really anxious but I know it's going to get here when it gets here. Also, how you like that bergara? Found one local and they seem to be really nice
I do not own a bergera, but often run a long range practice locally and watched a guy with his first long range rifle, a bergera, make consistent hits out to 1000 yards. I was frankly impressed with the whole package.

You get so heated on this thread. Just relax. All this speculation is at least giving me something to read throughout the day! I'm anxious.. Really anxious but I know it's going to get here when it gets here. Also, how you like that bergara? Found one local and they seem to be really nice
I'm not heated, just confused why the same poster refuses to listen to anyone and keeps throwing out random numbers that just keep adding to confusion.

I dropped it in an MPA, and I was impressed by the slickness of the bolt. I'm hoping to get it to the range this weekend, but weather ain't looking great. Tonight I'm mounting up the Kahles on an Area 419 rail (which is a beautiful rail). I'm half-assed concerned I'll end up holding the bergara on par with the ARC haha

Reactions: Bradu and Ericsl2
Status
Not open for further replies.