• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Pvs14 adapter for day scope?

Tackleberry

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2005
possumneck, ms
Has anyone used an adapter for a pvs14 on a day scope? It looks like it clamps to 14 and to eye piece on day scope. Results?

I hit a target the other night with a first round hit at 1000 yds on a steel target. Don't know where it hit but it hit. Night enforcer PVS14 behind a S&B. No IR and very dark. Results would not be common like that at that distance but the PVS 14 with the scope adapter really worked well. Behind the S&B on a SUrgeon you had to take it off everytime you wanted/needed to chamber a round. Basically turning it into a single shot at muzzle loader speeds. LOL. But if one shot is all you need then it would be fine. I'm pretty sure that there are other means of doing it for a repeat without dismount. I donlt know though. I'm looking into NV and don't need/want a lot of stuff so I'm thinking into this same setup. I hope more people chime in on their results.

Robert that must have been a bad ass rifle you were using to do that with! Lol

I've had 2 of the adapters you speak of. One for the MUM housing and one for the 14 housing. It works surprisingly well for what it is. I have actually found that I can mount it just a hair farther back on my S&B eye piece and I can bolt the rifle fine without having to take it off every shot. Robert made that shot the other night at 1000yrds on fairly low x with no illumination at all. There was cloud cover and there was no moon at all.... The target being painted white helped a lot too but he made the shot. With a PEQ 15 illuminating the 1000yrd target me and 2 other guys shot it about 8 more times in a row with no misses on 20x!

I don't recommend trying to mout this on a light .308 tho. It doesn't have and recoil mitigation and won't handle much. My rifle is heavy and recoils less than my AR's.

Just build your own. Easy to do and works better then the first gen one I had from tnvc. I machined my own bushings out of PVC for a nice interference fit.
5A629CEB-CFB8-4CA3-86E2-036AE56A9687-15775-000001BAE690E7DA.jpg

I second the "Do it Yourself" route.

Measure the outside diameter of your front objective on the PVS14 and the outside diameter of your rear objective/eyepiece of the dayscope.

Look online for stepped vacumn hose and get as close as you can to the sizes. For tweaking to fit use a torch to heat the vacumn hose and melt it to the size shape you need.

A couple of those autozone hose clamps on each end will secure it in place.

Worked for me shooting dozens of rounds on my .270 bolt action.

BB

Robert that must have been a bad ass rifle you were using to do that with! Lol

I've had 2 of the adapters you speak of. One for the MUM housing and one for the 14 housing. It works surprisingly well for what it is. I have actually found that I can mount it just a hair farther back on my S&B eye piece and I can bolt the rifle fine without having to take it off every shot. Robert made that shot the other night at 1000yrds on fairly low x with no illumination at all. There was cloud cover and there was no moon at all.... The target being painted white helped a lot too but he made the shot. With a PEQ 15 illuminating the 1000yrd target me and 2 other guys shot it about 8 more times in a row with no misses on 20x!

I don't recommend trying to mout this on a light .308 tho. It doesn't have and recoil mitigation and won't handle much. My rifle is heavy and recoils less than my AR's.

The "target being painted white helped a lot" statement alone indicates that you don't shoot in the dark very much. The rest is hyper-outstanding as well. 1000y, new moon, clouds, 20x mag, and a PVS-14.....please, do you really believe that we are all idiots?

Never shot that distance with my 14 coupled up but have had no problems at all on a 66% torso at 600yds coupled to my razor. Hits were just as easy as day time. Conditions were much like surgeon shooters and I was illuminating with a stream light super tac ir.

I wouldn't see what would be gained by surgeon making or embellishing his experience?

I just had an idea. How many people would be interested in a pvs 14 adaptor that had recoil mitigation built into it?

I just had an idea. How many people would be interested in a pvs 14 adaptor that had recoil mitigation built into it?

I think that if it were easy to accomplish it would have already been done.

Recoil, which effects the scopes, occurs at the very instance of shot - it isn't the same as perceived or felt recoil of the rifle moving front and back.

But - I have been wrong many times before so what are you thinking might work?

BB

I have an Idea I'm going to talk with marty from Badger Ord and see if it is feasible, but I think it might work.

I would think a mount that either has sliding interface that simply moves and overrides the recoil/shock/acceleration on the unit or something along those lines should be possible.

Killswitch that's along the lines of what I am thinking, The hard part is going to be making it as universal as possible.

Never shot that distance with my 14 coupled up but have had no problems at all on a 66% torso at 600yds coupled to my razor. Hits were just as easy as day time. Conditions were much like surgeon shooters and I was illuminating with a stream light super tac ir.

I wouldn't see what would be gained by surgeon making or embellishing his experience?

RobertB makes outstanding claims with the quote, "behind the S&B on a Surgeon".

Surgeon subsequently quotes, "Robert that must have been a bad ass rifle you were using to do that with! Lol"

The inference is that Surgeon builds rifles, particularly the one that Robert claims to have made the shot with. As such, Surgeon's comments would be self promoting. That would be the motive for embellishment.

I have two questions:

Does Surgeon build rifles such as the one Robert used?

What was the size of the target that Robert engaged at 1000y with a first round hit "with no IR and very dark"?

This forum seems to be full of glittering generalities that many folks readily accept at face value or quickly divert to another unrelated topic. What is wrong with making inquiries about substantive details?

RobertB makes outstanding claims with the quote, "behind the S&B on a Surgeon".

Surgeon subsequently quotes, "Robert that must have been a bad ass rifle you were using to do that with! Lol"

The inference is that Surgeon builds rifles, particularly the one that Robert claims to have made the shot with. As such, Surgeon's comments would be self promoting. That would be the motive for embellishment.

I have two questions:

Does Surgeon build rifles such as the one Robert used?

What was the size of the target that Robert engaged at 1000y with a first round hit "with no IR and very dark"?

This forum seems to be full of glittering generalities that many folks readily accept at face value or quickly divert to another unrelated topic. What is wrong with making inquiries about substantive details?

I will say that what I know of this situation is only what I've read posted by surgeon shooter. I do not know him personally other then forum discussion. It's my understanding that Robert was shooting surgeon shooter's rifle. I believe he had it built by a quality gunsmith and was only inferring how accurate "his" rifle was that he let Robert shoot. If I am off base here it's simply by misinterpretation.

I also thought he mentioned it was a full size ipsc target they engaged at 1000yds at night, which I read in another post about the event.

Nothing wrong with inquiring but I took it as you are basically calling him a liar, no? Along with the condesending "do you think we're all idiots" comment. My point was, what gain is there for him to lie about it? It's apparent by his post there was various witnesses to the shots. I will graciously bow out though and let surgeon shooter come along and defend himself if he wishes.

Cheers..

Excellent reply Killswitch! You seem to be one of the few willing to get into the meat of the matter. By my math, an IPSC at 1000y is approximately 2.8 MOA tall x 1.7 MOA wide. Not at all an easy shot at that range during the day, much less at night, but not inconceivable with a dialed in system.

For example, we routinely shoot 8" square steels at 300y (2.5MOA) in the pitch black dark with I^2, and it is surprisingly easy.

I was not calling anybody a liar, but credibility is enhanced when some level of detail is attached to glamorous claims. Let's face it, most folks like to brag, and when they do, it is often hard to get them to shut up about the where, when, and how.

In my personal experience, the image associated with mounting a PVS-14 behind even the best day optics degenerates significantly at about 7-8x magnification. When folks claim that they are running such a configuration at 20x mag, it is difficult to not make inquiry as to why it works for them but not for most other folks. If someone were to post that they were running an S&B at 20x with a PVS-27, that would be much more plausible.

Take care, J

Last edited:

Not saying it can't be done, but I find it questionable. I have shot man size steel with a d740 at 490yds. We illuminated it with a peq-2a. It was at the max range of the optic.

I have run PVS-22s and 27s and the image seems to lose usefulness at around 8-9Xish and we were shooting at 300yds

I happen to have a borrowed S&B 5-25 on an MRAD and I'll take It out and see how things look at 20X in a week or so.

My experience calls the 1k shot at 20x into question. I may be wrong. I may not be. I ain't HSLD like most guys around here so who knows. I hope I am wrong and I can start shooting at 20x.

I agree with you guys but here's something for you to try. I have had the best light transmission and image performance from fixed power optics when used with a Pvs-14. I have an old 10x that is absolutely stellar with my 14 coupled to it. I attribute this to less lenses to detract from light passage along with possibly exit pupil size being bigger overall. Irregardless, it works and works damn well. I will couple my camera to the system and take some pics for reference soon.

Killswitch, you get it. Less lenses is critically important with low ambient light performance. Good lenses is arguably even more important, and that means "fast" ones [low f/], i.e. typically catadioptric and the larger the better with top shelf coatings.

The PVS-14 is a most wonderful device, but it was, is, and forever will be intended as a helmet mounted nav device. It thrives in that role!

Think about it this way.... How many folks on this forum would suggest that a Weaver [or pick another lower end day optic] would perform the same as NF, Swaro, Zeiss, USO, S&B, etc.....none. Shooting in the dark also requires the highest performance standards possible.

Your input is most appreciated.

Man I've been away for a few days. I come back to visit and I'm getting flamed!

Listen first off I don't brag. I never have and never will, anyone that knows me will say the same. I would get all but hurt and pissed for being called a liar but I'm not because I can see why you would say such a thing. And yes, I have fired several shots behind several high end night vision optics. White targets are easier to see than darker colors, I won't explain why because if you don't know why already then I can't help you....

I did not build my rifle either. Roscoe at LA precision rifles did, he did great!

I fired those shots the night we were shooting illuminating the target with a PEQ-15. On 20x! I know for sure I could see good on 20x because I couldn't believe it and I checked several times to see if I was going crazy. Without the PEQ I could only use 5-6x or so. 3-4x would have been better but I have a 5-25 S&B so that wasn't possible. Robert fired one single shot at 1000yrds with no illumination and managed to make a hit. Lucky? Maybe... Maybe not. The target was hardly visible and you had to stare at it a while before it could be seen. Even then the cross hair was almost not visible also so it was very very hard to do, I didn't even try...

With a FBI agent behind his rifle equipt with a leupy 3-9 or so( don't remember exactly ) pvs-22 and a PEQ 15 shining his illuminator on high, focused in as tight as it would go 20x was possible. I'm not a liar.... Don't like being called one either. I shared my expirience with y'all so you would know what is possible. Everyone frowns on using a 14 with a day scope. I do too! It's awkward as hell and hard to focus but let's face it, I don't have $8,000+ for a 22 or 27! So I'm using what I have to the best of its ability. The owner/operators of badlands tactical in grand field Oklahoma were there watching every single shot that was fired that night. They were just as amazed as I was. Mr bobby even called miss on the first one right as the ding made it back to us, we all got a laugh out of my slow ass 175 match king!

Since I have been called out as being a liar and basically been told that I'm a dumb ass I will dedicate Sunday night to getting you a video proving my statements. I don't have a range handy to get video to 1000yrds but I can do my best. I do have a 750yrds range I can drive 30 minutes to to prove I'm not a retard. Murderman I see your in tx, I travel all over tx working. I'm headed to the Houston area next weekend, I'd be glad to shoot with you on my way there dark or light either is fine. Texas gun trust lawyer since ill be in your area I'm game for some shooting there also if you'd have me. I'm bringing my junk with me in hopes of finding somewhere to shoot some hogs!

Jay

Last edited:
Ok I am going to chime in here! This practice of mounting a PVS 14 to the eyepiece of a PVS 14 is something I DO NOT recommend! Especially with anything that could potentially let the Night Vision Device slip. Two things here, the extreme rearward position screws up check weld and all manner of correctly holding the weapon. Second and this is HUGE, if the night vision device slips just a little under recoil and then abruptly stops, you will almost certainly damage the tube. It whiplashes the MCP in a horrific manner. The analogy is having a towing hitch on a pickup and getting rear ended on just the hitch. Most of the shock is transmitted through the vehicle frame straight to the passengers necks. In this case it almost ALWAYS destroys the MCP.

Now I understand why people are doing this, the economy of not buying a Clip on is easy to see. I GET IT ! ! ! ! It's a HUGE amount of money. HUGE HUGE ! ! ! Let me say this, If you are going to use this mounting method, (which I again do NOT recommend) come up with some form of mounting that attaches the Mono to the rail of the rifle and not the bell of the day scope eyepiece.

The only thing I hang a 14 off the back of, (with a Friction lock and I use the real deal mono-locks or the badger mounts) is a spotting scope which actually works astoundingly well, way Way WAY better than trying to use a clip on in conjunction with a spotting scope.

Last edited:
In Surgeon_Shooter's defense, I was invited to the same shoot that weekend, but could not make it. I was there the following weekend. I was told by two people who I respect without question that his explanation of the shoot is accurate. He was cheating though with his race-gun caliber...joking. Just jealous that my .308s are dinosaurs :)

Me however, could not get my crap together the whole weekend - so need to return soon to redeem myself.

Was running a PVS14 behind my Spotter60. Without good IR illumination it's useless, but with good IR it's pretty amazing.

In Surgeon_Shooter's defense, I was invited to the same shoot that weekend, but could not make it. I was there the following weekend. I was told by two people who I respect without question that his explanation of the shoot is accurate. He was cheating though with his race-gun caliber...joking. Just jealous that my .308s are dinosaurs :)

Me however, could not get my crap together the whole weekend - so need to return soon to redeem myself.

Was running a PVS14 behind my Spotter60. Without good IR illumination it's useless, but with good IR it's pretty amazing.
Haha thanks! I shoot the sling shot speed .308 also. They were probly talking about Roberts rifle, he had a 6.5 creedmore and mr bobby was giving him a hard time for being different. It was a still quiet night the night we shot. I swear I could have shot, packed my stuff up and drove off before the impact sound made it back to us! Hahaha

I^2 sorry I didn't respond to your post, I over looked it somehow.

I'm with you on how it could damage the tube and how it screws up the whole position of shooting. Ill admit it, it sucks bad trying to shoot this thing. I'm serious when I say, my rifle has almost zero recoil. I actually shoot with the stock rested on my bicep and I kinda have to lay side ways to make a shot but it works. I will video the results tonight and demonstrate how it looks.

Pete, I agree that a PVS-14 on a good spotting scope with a real deal MonoLoc can work quite well.

Jay, now that some more details are being presented regarding the "miracle" shot, it becomes more plausible. Unfortunately, it took some asshole like me calling BS to elicit said details.

As far as the white versus black steels thing, I refrain from using active IR which is why black works much better for me. White has higher reflectivity at all active illumination wavelengths. It also depends on the background, as contrast is an essential element. Reticle contrast also matters; I run a D-740, so black provides better contrast with amber. With a dark reticle, greater contrast would be provided with a light colored target.

Houston, sure; let's go have a BEvERage sometime and shoot the shit about cool stuff. John

Last edited:

High Tech redneck mount with their MX160 works good in the field on a 2.5x10 weaver best with IR

300 yards 1/2 size IPSC target not a problem

Phil, the creativeness of the stock extension on your ACS is impressive; you never disappoint!

Bummer that we couldn't get together yesterday for transfer of the suppressor pouch that I left out at IZ last shoot; please continue to hold on to it for me. Oh well, my bad for not phoning up in advance to have you put it out somewhere accessible. It was sort of an impromptu session with SC, and is actually the first time that I have shot during daylight in quite some time.

I see that you are running an ELR-V. I have one of those plus also a Torch Pro on a QD mount if you would like to try the latter out; it is a vastly more refined product, and you well know how anal I am about details. I'll get one of the adapter rings headed this way so that we can 3x mag it as well for even further comparison.

Nice hits on that 300y 1/2 IPSC; it is painted black, correct?

Take care, John

thanks john for the offer, I have two torch pros now and the 3x mag adapter from TNVC its pretty sweet, only had one at the time pic was taken so it stayed on the D760

thanks john for the offer, I have two torch pros now and the 3x mag adapter from TNVC its pretty sweet, only had one at the time pic was taken so it stayed on the D760

Sunset is coming ever earlier now that we are a couple months past the solstice. The heat should be diminishing a bit as well in another 6-8 weeks. It is so much more pleasurable shooting in the fall than the summer.

We sell both the Night Optics day scope adapter and the Monoloc. The monoloc is much more expensive and harder to attach and dismount but is a more solid lock up. You could pick up your rifle and run with it and not worry about it falling off. The Night Optics day scope adapter comes with an assortment of bushings for different eyepiece diameters and a picatinny mount for mounting up a quality illuminator. While not as solid a lock up its perfectly adequate and after using both for years I prefer the NO unit because it's easier to mount and dismount. I've seen other products that I'm sure are fine and some good looking homemade rigs as well. I had a Marine Sniper show pictures of a PVS-14 duct taped to a scope with a piece cut up water bottle to stiffen it.

Surgeon Shooter, Nice job on the minion smack down! There are some third tier resellers that cant stand anything that they perceive as a threat to sales. So sorry you were the brunt of abuse not intended for you. But in the end the videos say it all.

We sell both the Night Optics day scope adapter and the Monoloc. The monoloc is much more expensive and harder to attach and dismount but is a more solid lock up. You could pick up your rifle and run with it and not worry about it falling off. The Night Optics day scope adapter comes with an assortment of bushings for different eyepiece diameters and a picatinny mount for mounting up a quality illuminator. While not as solid a lock up its perfectly adequate and after using both for years I prefer the NO unit because it's easier to mount and dismount. I've seen other products that I'm sure are fine and some good looking homemade rigs as well. I had a Marine Sniper show pictures of a PVS-14 duct taped to a scope with a piece cut up water bottle to stiffen it.

Surgeon Shooter, Nice job on the minion smack down! There are some third tier resellers that cant stand anything that they perceive as a threat to sales. So sorry you were the brunt of abuse not intended for you. But in the end the videos say it all.

"Minion"...give me a fucking break you self-righteous jerk! Unlike you, I have a well paying career outside of the firearms industry, and have no affiliation with any manufacturer, distributer, or dealer....I just like cool stuff, and don't take any blind promises for granted.

Challenge was made to Surgeon's claims of the 1000y hit, and he backed it up with substantive evidence. Kudos to him!

Challenge was also made about these ICT tubes, and nothing substantive has been offered other than, just trust us that it is super cool.

On this whole weapon-mounted PVS-14 concept, the overall consensus is that it is a bad idea including commentary by some of your obvious "minions".

I think that I am pretty much done with foray into this ridiculous forum as there isn't any technical value, or even much entertainment value.

Good luck with your position as a leader in a small narrow-minded group of lemmings. The rest of us will play with the big dogs that actually answer technical questions instead of diverting the topic, using glittering generalities, and/or hiding behind some undefined cloak of secrecy. We get plenty enough of that bullshit from the current POTUS, and really don't need it from supposed supporters of this most wonderful technology.

murderman shows up just recently to "Challenge" - others might say - just to stir shit up.
I thought Camille/Hunter/Pete and others have done quite a good job at answering your questions thus far and doing so without returning the accusatory BS tone in your posts.
Talk about cloak of secrecy murderman...good god man, the charade is up. Anybody that's been around even a short while knows from where you come and your motives here.
So if your "pretty much done" with this "ridiculous forum" then it might be a good time to ride back home where you can suckle the "big dogs" tits as most like to do there!

"Minion"...give me a fucking break you self-righteous jerk! Unlike you, I have a well paying career outside of the firearms industry, and have no affiliation with any manufacturer, distributer, or dealer....I just like cool stuff, and don't take any blind promises for granted.

Challenge was made to Surgeon's claims of the 1000y hit, and he backed it up with substantive evidence. Kudos to him!

Challenge was also made about these ICT tubes, and nothing substantive has been offered other than, just trust us that it is super cool.

On this whole weapon-mounted PVS-14 concept, the overall consensus is that it is a bad idea including commentary by some of your obvious "minions".

I think that I am pretty much done with foray into this ridiculous forum as there isn't any technical value, or even much entertainment value.

Good luck with your position as a leader in a small narrow-minded group of lemmings. The rest of us will play with the big dogs that actually answer technical questions instead of diverting the topic, using glittering generalities, and/or hiding behind some undefined cloak of secrecy. We get plenty enough of that bullshit from the current POTUS, and really don't need it from supposed supporters of this most wonderful technology.

Hey now, no need for name calling! Before you leave the forum (like Alec Baldwin threatened to leave the US for Canada when Bush won a second term) let's cut to the chase and really look at what happened here in this thread. Its interesting to me that anytime a new product is introduced from some vendors the roar from the crowd is deafening, even if the product isn't even out yet, field tested or reviewed. Strangely, other products from other vendors are introduced with the same marketing rollout and certain folks show up like its feeding time to try to discredit or refute product claims without even considering letting a product standing on its on own merit. You are one of these people. We brought out a new product (The PVS-14 RC with a recoil hardened tube) and you promptly showed up with feigned interest in order to question the technology. When we wouldn't give you a schematic, a powerpoint overview and a dissertation of the technology you cry about a cloak of secrecy. I knew this about you and your intent before I invited you to my company to come see the tubes and the system for yourself, knowing that you would never call or show up. You are disingenuous. I and other sellers here have nothing to hide, we just we have IP, NDAs with half a dozen companies and competition to worry about. This is something any other company worries about and we are no different.

Back to this thread- When we released the RC 14 we were surprised that quite a few forum members embraced putting a 14 behind a day scope (and followed up with quite a few orders- thank you!). As dealers, none of us have never really recommended a 14 in this application but in retrospect we should have seen it coming as opened the door for shooters that want/have/can afford a 14 but maybe not a $7-10K clip-on. The tube is designed for many applications besides a PVS-14; its a drop in for dedicated weapon sights and clip-ons as well. Anyway, we noticed a quick increase in traffic posts on a number of forums. Forum members were starting threads just like this one about methods to mount 14's behind scopes. The other was a number of Youtube videos, 'educational videos' and threads about never mounting a 14 on any weapon. Odd. Very timely and odd. Its not odd. Its a marketing campaign against anything that might affect the market. You, Murderman, came into this thread calling bullshit on a forum member that disagreed with the beatdown the PVS-14/rifle combination was given. I won't say that I didn't laugh when he didn't enjoy being called a liar and went and backed up his claim with a real teeth-kicking video as you ate crow. You got what you deserved, publicly- and you should learn from it. Does a thread like this help me and other vendors here promote our product? It sure does. It does that because we brought a product to market that the NV market wants. Did I have anything to do with this thread? Absolutely not, other than maybe kickstarting the application with a new product release. This thread is really interesting, I question if I can replicate SS's 1000 yd shots with a PVS-27 or CNVD-LR on top of my .25 MOA Surgeon actioned, Mike Rock barreled rifle. I know I can shoot it at 700 yards at night, and i'm decent shot but 1k is a long way in the daytime much less at night. Frankly, this thread makes me want to take a second look at 14's behind nice daytime glass and i'm in the NV business. Regardless, your final post showed your true colors because this thread was about a PVS-14 behind a day scope, not anything about a PVS-14 RC or any other product but you brought it up as you packed up your bat and ball on the way out of this thread with an exit of shame.

To SurgeonShooter- thanks for posting the vid. I am impressed and my family has a farm full of hogs on 71 NW of Shreveport. PM me- we can shoot and hunt anytime.
To the OP, I think your questions were answered and I think you can now see why this thread went the way it did-sorry for that, there is a little history behind the veiled posts and comments.

Ident

Last edited:
My ITT Pinnacle PVS-14 mounted on the ocular of a Redfield 3-9X-50mm is super sweet, even without using an IR Illuminator.

With an Illuminator the custom matchgrade 5.56mm 1:7" twist 20" barrel on my 30 year old Thompson Center Contender will shoot way further than it is lethal.

FOV and brightness/contrast is very very good out past the lethal range of my 5.56mm cartridge.

ADNPVS14NO6015.gif

TC%20PVS%2014.jpg

DOM%20Web.jpg

Last edited:
Jason,

Alec Baldwin....ouch, that really hurts. Whenever that SoB comes on the TV, I promptly change the channel. I guess that I deserve it though after the Obama reference. As far as that being my last post here, it relates to the reputation that this forum has for being "ban happy" with regards to presentation of dissenting opinions. Much to my pleasant surprise, I am not aware of any of my arguably controversial posts having even been edited, or either my receiving written warnings as has been the case on several other forums.

What I am reading is that your invitation to come up to DFW to check out the RC devices firsthand was predicated on "knowing that you would never call or show up". That would indicate there is a level of disingenuousness across the board. The reason that I haven't followed-up on your offer yet is because I have recently started a new project at work, and quite simply haven't had the time or energy to make the road trip. Presumably it is a standing offer without particular expiration date?

Please trust one thing in that I have the utmost respect for IP and NDAs/CAs; they are an integral aspect of how I have earned my professional paycheck for well over two decades. Not that you or Pete or the Colorado crew feels that I deserve it, but can you at least humor with a direct response to an equally direct question which does not compromise any of the legal or commercial considerations?

Repeated reference has been made that the tubes are patented. Are they actually patented or is patent applied for or is patent pending?

As you allude to, 1k during the day can be very difficult, hence my challenge when generic claims were made about doing it in the dark with an arguably non-typical system. The claim has since been substantiated with details such as hyper-performance weapon system, high intensity target illumination, environmental factor mitigation by shooting through a treed roadway, but most importantly a very good operator squeezing the trigger. It is doubtful whether or not most folks could make the shot, myself included.

Hopefully, I will be able to read further replies using this same active account when I get home from work this evening. I have no shame, and stand behind what I say in the context of which it is said. As an example, black-painted steels work better for my application because I almost never use active IR. What has been indicated is that folks who do use alot of active IR find white to be more effective, and both make sense from a physics perspective. Again, it is all about the context.

Take care, John

To SurgeonShooter- thanks for posting the vid. I am impressed and my family has a farm full of hogs on 71 NW of Shreveport. PM me- we can shoot and hunt anytime.
To the OP, I think your questions were answered and I think you can now see why this thread went the way it did-sorry for that, there is a little history behind the veiled posts and comments.

Ident
Thanks sir, I won't get into the other stuff you mentioned because I don't have a dog in the fight. I use my night vision a lot and I get every ounce of my money worth out of it. Like shooting 1000yrds with it. I'm actually going hog hunting tonight and will have pvs14's and flir ps24&32's to spot with. I will be doing the shooting with a laser on my AR. Should be fun! I don't have a favorite vendor or anything like that, I just get the good equipment for the best price (IF) they have good customer service.... That goes a long way with me.

Thank you very much for the offer on the hunting with you! It's rude to turn down a offer like that so I guess ill be forced to go! Haha I'm all over tx for work and that's not a far drive from my house so ill definetly be in for that someday!

Jay

I love a nice cup of "STFU" in the evening. Nice job brother. Video says it all to the name calling prima donna's on these forums...

LOL I just saw this thread again. Yeah, everyone was doubting the hit. Everyone that was there knew otherwise. Jay, you wont have this problem anymore will you? We shot steel out to 600 the other night with no moon. Even my little D760 did good out to that range. I just wish the reticle was a little brighter.

There's a lot of comments about recoil when mounting a PVS-14 in this manner.

What happens if you drop a PVS-14?

Thanks.

We run the PVS-14 in front of the scopes like a PS-22. I'm running one on a .308 AR in front of 4X ACOG and on an AR-15 carbine in front of an ELCAN Specter 1-4X. Both work great

We run the PVS-14 in front of the scopes like a PS-22. I'm running one on a .308 AR in front of 4X ACOG and on an AR-15 carbine in front of an ELCAN Specter 1-4X. Both work great

Do you get POI shift when mounting a pvs-14 in front of the scope.

I keep hearing that running a pvs-14 in front of you scope doesn't work very well ?

I have't had any problems with impact shift. My son is a Scout/Sniper in the Army and they run their M-4's like this. In fact he's the one who let me in on this set up. I also run PS-22's on my .308 rifles the same way.

So far this set up is working good with good clarity and accuracy

I'm going to have to give this another try. How close to the ACOG do you run your PVS 14? Gave this a try last night and it seemed touchy on getting focused. It was a real dark last night when I tried it so I was using an illuminator. Didn't have a lot of contrast on my steel plate and missed my shot, wasn't sure if it was because it was difficult to make out plate or impact shift. Any difference between the Specter at lower power than the ACOG at 4x?