• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision PVS14 camera adaptation

the impactzone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2011
texas
I spoke with Kevin at HTRN about problems mounting the MX160 on the front of a camera and the additional weight for a step down that was meant for a filter not a few pounds of PVS14 and 3x lens. He offered me a brace he had built but I passed not knowing if it would fit my camera set up.

This is what I came up with and went over to my old employer and master tig -welder Joe. Everything inline and sturdy as all get out, shouldn’t have any problem transporting it attached or in the 4wh or boat.

Just a note for guys thinking about film or pics of their hunts, I already screwed up the threads on one step-down adapter and figured I better fix the problem before I screwed up the threads on the lens

1/4 in plate welded to the Varizooom dovetail quick detachable and a 1/4 riser that threads to the PVS-14 in line and sturdy

Nothing wrong with that sertup Phil nice work. I needed to formulate a setup like that back in the mid nineties when I was mounting a NVPS-10 to the front of a 8mm Panasonic vid rig on some surveillance gigs. I also stripped out the Vid rigs objective lens rings step down ring.

Your setup looks very robust for your duties. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Hows the vignetting or lack thereof with this setup?

Vic

I spoke with Kevin at HTRN about problems mounting the MX160 on the front of a camera and the additional weight for a step down that was meant for a filter not a few pounds of PVS14 and 3x lens. He offered me a brace he had built but I passed not knowing if it would fit my camera set up.

This is what I came up with and went over to my old employer and master tig -welder Joe. Everything inline and sturdy as all get out, shouldn’t have any problem transporting it attached or in the 4wh or boat.

Just a note for guys thinking about film or pics of their hunts, I already screwed up the threads on one step-down adapter and figured I better fix the problem before I screwed up the threads on the lens

1/4 in plate welded to the Varizooom dovetail quick detachable and a 1/4 riser that threads to the PVS-14 in line and sturdy

I don't remember the manufacturer but for about$150 you can get a unit with multiple size rings for attaching to various devices...cameras, scopes, the whole 9 yards.

maggot,

the problem is all those step-up-down lens conversions are for filters and not really meant for additional lens or the weight

when you add that much weight it may hold for a little while but one bump in the dark without support and shit will break loose, I might have said it better in the op a secure PVS adapter

things may say mil spec, but the question is it phil spec LOL

Last edited:
Vic,, edumacate me? Vignetting?

the system attaches after I have the lens all set up with the PVS on it for clarity objective and so on and so forth, then attach it to the camera and PVS at the same time. can still use man focus as well as focus on PVS and oc focus if needed.

had I to do it again I would have made the support base just a tad longer then the lens to add protection against bumps in the night

Last edited:
Vic,, edumacate me? Vignetting?

the system attaches after I have the lens all set up with the PVS on it for clarity objective and so on and so forth, then attach it to the camera and PVS at the same time. can still use man focus as well as focus on PVS and oc focus if needed.

had I to do it again I would have made the support base just a tad longer then the lens to add protection against bumps in the night

LOL on the Texas draw!

How does the edge sharpness of the actual image look? A bit fuzzy and/or cropped a bit, or sharp as a stand alone 14 is? Just curious with all the lenses (glass) in the equation here.

its 5am just got back in from some hunting will post a few stills that will anwer your question, ,,, but in short much cleaner now

that's right vic we talked about this looks pretty clear brothers 6month old pups first hog, easy track it dropped right there LOL