• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PWS MK114

Re: PWS MK114

Next time we hook up I'll give a few ounces in a small bottle. they only sell it by the gallon so its best to get it from someone that runs a diesel. Hell I could give you a quart of the stuff.

We need to hit the range soon Brother. I really wanna get some time behind that GAP... I also want you to shoot my MK214.

I will let you know next time we are out there...

I hear ya bro. Things were a little too hectic at Camp Blanding to get to play around. Still an awesome time though. As fate would have it my next project is going to be more of a CQB platform and I'm looking heavily at the PWS so I anxiously await trying it out.

Hmmmmm.... I can see a MK112 in your safe soon. Let me know when, and I will give you this MK114 to shoot the crap out of... you will see why I rave about it so much. If I were going to do a complete SBR, I would REALLY look at the MK112. You get just a wee bit more velocity out of it than you do the MK110... in fact, I am looking at doing a MK112 as a dedicated supressed rig.

I will loan you my MK114 any time you want it. Just say the word.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmmmmm.... I can see a MK112 in your safe soon. </div></div>

Me too. I was gonna build a SBR from my old Colt Comp HBAR but decided to make that my long range practice and service rifle rig since I had enough parts lying around and its cheap to shoot. Sooooooooo...getting a turn-key rig is the route I'm taking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let me know when, and I will give you this MK114 to shoot the crap out of... you will see why I rave about it so much. If I were going to do a complete SBR, I would REALLY look at the MK112. You get just a wee bit more velocity out of it than you do the MK110... in fact, I am looking at doing a MK112 as a dedicated supressed rig.

I will loan you my MK114 any time you want it. Just say the word. </div></div>
<span style="font-size: 20pt">WORD</span> LOL

Seriously...my son is on leave and driving down from Ft Stewart for the weekend and we plan on making a whole lotta noise somewhere. Let me know if you wanna shoot. I'm shutting down for 3 days so Sat thru Monday will work.

I have in-service training on Friday... (taser) but I'm off till Tuesday. Let's do it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have in-service training on Friday... (taser) but I'm off till Tuesday. Let's do it! </div></div>Done deal bro. I'll call ya some time Thursday

I can not express how happy I am with this MK114. I wish I had the funds to pickup a MK216 as well. Maybe some day...

Update... this rifle is quickly approaching the 13k round mark.

I will loan this rifle to Battle Axe for a few weeks, to let him shoot it. I am hoping to have over 15k through it... or more, before SHOT Show in January.

This rifle will be with me out in Vegas, along with my PWS MK214. If you are going to SHOT, and wanna put your hands on this rifle, stop by the PWS booth and chit chat with me. I will be hanging out with the PWS crew a bunch.

Cheers!

DMack, Just wanted to stop in and say hey. The Mk116 has been going strong, 0 failures. Couldn't agree with your writeup's more....its just an AR done right.

Ledzep... glad to hear your rifle is running well. The more you shoot it, the better it will run...

It's great kit, that's for sure!

Like I said earlier, there is not much more I can add to this thread. The rifle is just running like a champ, and contines to do so. I've qualified with the MK114 as my City Patrol Rifle, and I have zero issues trusting my life to it, or those that I am sworn to protect. Even with the round count through this rifle, it is still VERY accurate, and reliable.

I'm futzing with hand guards now, trying different ones to find a set that I like. The ladder rail covers are awesome, but if you shoot a lot, the rifle gets hot.

So, that's probably going to be my only update unless something goes wrong with this rifle. I will have it at SHOT this year, at the PWS booth, so folks can see what the rifle looks like after being shot so much.

Cheers,

DMack

got the pws mk214 in today. It is surprisingly light considering.
with the other black guns:
307235_2454906859015_1442395682_32931028_1896254659_n.jpg

Thanks for this great thread DMack! The PWS mk114 is next on my "to buy" list. Thinking about pairing it up with a acog TA31F-RMR.

Roby,

Awesome line up!!!

I see you have the SD-E in the MK214... great trigger for that rifle. Now, put some glass on that puppy, and shoot the snot out of it. Just be aware of my observation that it is definitely sensitve to ending a group on an open bolt. To get that rifle to shoot it's best, you MUST have solid follow through. No biggie diggie, really... Just run it with solid fundamentals, and you will be amazed.

Is that the FSC30 on it? Or the PRC?

I hope your rifle serves you as well as mine is serving me. Oil down the BCG / Charging Handle / Buffer / Spring / Tube and sit and cycle the action. You will feel the newness go away, and it will feel like the action is on ball bearings.

You may have a few feed issues right away, with .308 FGMM, but just clean the chamber a few times, and it will give you no issues. It's a NATO chamber, but it's tight.

You will LOVE that rifle... I can assure you of that.

cheers,

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kthomas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for this great thread DMack! The PWS mk114 is next on my "to buy" list. Thinking about pairing it up with a acog TA31F-RMR. </div></div>

KT,

The MK114 (IMHO) is probably one of the best 5.56 AR's that you can get... definitely in it's price range. My DI guns get no play these days.

However, I will have my MK214 out on the range with BattleAxe again on Sunday... I will take my 20" White Oak, and my MK114 to play beside the MK214. Stay tuned.

I created an account here just to say: this is perhaps the most informative and helpfu; gun forum thread I've ever read.

Thank you very kindly. The PWS long-stroke piston system is fairly new & unique, and as such there is a dearth of quality information on it. This thread has really helped me understand this weapon better.

Thanks again DMack. Tip of the that.

UPDATE:::

So far, I have not updated this thread in a while, because there is nothing new to post. However, I have had a few failure to extracts recently, but it's not consistent enough to be any one cause. So, I called Stacey at PWS to discuss this issue.

He asked me how many rounds I have fired through the MK114 and I told him, as of now, I have 17,300 give or take. He asked me how long ago I have used a .40 mop to run down the gas piston tube and clean out the carbon...

Uh... I told him never. He laughed...

Apparently, you have to "mop out" the piston tube every 5-6k rounds. I have not done that. Nor, have I cleaned the carbon off of the piston. Yes, this is routine maintenance that I should have been doing, but... the gun just runs and runs.

So, ignoring the gas piston system on a PWS MK114 will net you approximately 17,000 rounds before it starts short stroking on you.

I cleaned the piston, mopped out the gas piston tube with a .40 cal mop and made sure it was all carbon free. I then cleaned up the gun, ran some patches down the bore... and lubed her nicely.

I'm shooting a Sniper / Spotter match this weekend with Battle Axe... I will be using the MK114 as my carbine. I will let you know how she does.

Next week, I am sending the MK114 and MK214 back to PWS so they can box it up for S.H.O.T.

I will be working the booth at PWS during S.H.O.T. show in Las Vegas. If you stop by, make sure to say howdy... I will have both of those rifles on display. They will have the rifles inspected and Stacey told me that they want to put a throat erosion guage in it to see how the barrel is holding up.

I can tell you this... sigting in my ACOG last week, to verify zero... a co worker and I were able to consistently lay down 1" groups on a Shoot N See at 100 yards using 69 grain Federal TRU ammo. The ACOG is not a very good optic for precise shot groups, due to the lack of cross hairs... but, 1" groups out of a barrel that has legitimately had 17K rounds through it... I will take that any day.

Cheers!!!!

DMack

Also, caveat on what John is talking about. The PWS does NOT use a free float tube. I have found this to be a complete NON ISSUE.

Yes, they get hot.

Yes, your hands will get hot if you hold the bare metal.

Yes, your hands will get carbon on them because the gas vents out mid barrel.

NO, the carbon will not hurt the barrel.

Yes, PWS sends heat shields / rail protectors with the rifle... use them, and heat is a non issue.

Early on, I complained about the QD swivel and it "self ejecting" the rifle from hitting on my gear. Since using the VTAC Swivel, I have had zero issues with it letting go.

All in all, this rifle is amazing. It does everything, very well.

MSG(R) Paul Howe has these rifles at his ranch in Texas. MSG(R) Howe has done a very nice write up in his CSAT magazine... his conclusions match my own almost verbatim. So, don't take my word for it that these rifles work, and work well. Like I did, he tells the good, the bad, and the ugly. I can assure you, there is a LOT of good, not much bad that I can think of, and there is no ugly to it at all.

All of my best to all of you.

Cheers,

DMack

Hey ya'll, just want to say first off this is one awesome forum with lots of great info; and to DMack: superb review on the MK114, you have sold me on it so i ordered one today. thanks again for posting all the great info.

Welcome to the Hide MT. You will find tons of factual info on our sport here. Very helpful, knowledgeable folks here as well.

I know you will enjoy your rifle as much as I do mine. I have run the not out of it in the year that I have had it. I've covered its use in detail. Above and beyond the quality of the rifle, is the quality of service you will get from the staff at PWS... One great company to deal with.

Best of luck with your new rifle. Be sure to add to the information if you like...

Cheers,

DMack

Well I could hold out no longer. There was a hole in my collection for a carbine and I just ordered the MK-114 in FDE. I've seen Dmacks in action numerous times and got to shoot it during a match leg last weekend and it performed very well.

Stay tuned everyone... I'm taking this old workhorse to the range with BA on Friday, and putting my fixed 10 power Super Sniper on it, to see what kind of groups we can lay down at 100 yards. This will be interesting after the round count that I have through this weapon.

It has an ACOG on it now, which does not lend itself to very precise groupings... so, on goes the 10x SS...

Pics and video to come. BA will be running the MK114 as well as my MK214 along with me, to see what they can do.

You are gonna love that rifle BA!!!!

See ya Friday morning!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I could hold out no longer. There was a hole in my collection for a carbine and I just ordered the MK-114 in FDE. I've seen Dmacks in action numerous times and got to shoot it during a match leg last weekend and it performed very well. </div></div>

You are gonna LOVE that carbine... I can guarantee it.

Ok, my MK114 looks GOOFY with the SWFA SS 10x on it... much like my MK214 looked with the USO SN3 3.2-17 on it...

Groups will be had in less than ten hours... stay tuned.

D, can't wait to see the results! Also, Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thanks again for all of your help. The rest of the combined team saw my Mk112 and now they ALL want to shoot it.
Chris

Update:

I'm on my way to Miami now, but will post pictures when I can. Today, BattleAxe laid down two sub MOA groups with the MK114 at 100 yards off of a rickety wooden bench and a leaking bag...

I was able to pull out about a 2" group with the ACOG mounted.

If I had put my US Optics SN3 on instead of the SWFA SS Fixed 10x, I'm sure it would run SUB MOA at 100 yards all day long, easily.

Very impressive from a carbine with this many rounds through it.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers!

Yea today everything that could go wrong...did. We expected an empty range and it was packed. This particular range has the worst benches for trying to test an auto off of... I'm 6' tall and need to sit on a folded shooting mat just to get high enough to get a cheek weld.

Then Dmacks bag would squirt a shot glass full of Chinese toxic waste (pellets) onto the bench with every trigger pull through a half-dollar sized hole in the bag so we tried a bipod which under a rifle that light just skidded around with every heartbeat. Then without a cheek riser I had to hover my head above the stock to get proper eye relief.

All in all trying to shoot groups with a platform like this is extremely difficult (and arguably a bit dumb) but we merely wanted to see if the 18K round count had affected the barrel. I finally was able to get 2 back-to-back 3 shot groups off that were both sub-minute. I normally shoot 5-10 rounds but kept it to 3 shots to minimize the chances of erroneous movement screwing me up... and pretty much everything was moving.

All that said I'm convinced that this barrel has some more life in it.

Ok:

Disclaimer... this post will sound like a bunch of whining, and sniveling, but in all fairness... BA and I both had a crappy day shooting. Wait, no... ANY day shooting, is BETTER than a day NOT shooting, right? I mean... This country is still free enough to enjoy a morning, with a good friend, turning gunpowder into noise... so, for that, I am thankful.

So, as promised... here are some pics of BA running the MK114 with both the SWFA SS fixed 10x mounted in an American Defense Recon mount... and my TA31F ACOG. The SWFA SS you see here, is a first generation SS, and the glass has a lot to be desired. We all know they are decent for the money, but both of us were having issues getting a good / clear sight picture on the targets. I'm guessing it was the lighting, coming right over our backs... oh well, it is what it is.

What I want to showcase here, is a guy running this rifle, that has had very, and I mean VERY minimal time on it, and this is indicative of the accuracy you can get out of this rifle after 18k legitimate rounds through the barrel.

I will take this any day of the week.

Range: Gateway - Jacksonville, FL
Rifle: PWS MK114
Optics: SWFA SS Fixed 10x / and TA31F ACOG in GG&G Accucam Mount
Mount: American Defense Recon 30mm
Trigger: Geissele SSA
Stock: MAGPUL ACS
Pistol Grip: MAGPUL MIAD
Ammo: Winchester RANGER Match - 69 grain SMK
Distance: 100 yards

Here is BattleAxe behind the MK114
RangeDaywithPWSMKrifles004.jpg

This is when the SWFA SS was mounted on the rifle. Normally, this rifle wears a TA31F ACOG (soon to be switched out to a SWFA SS 1-4). The SWFA SS Fixed 10x was not "perfectly zeroed" ... meaning, we were rushed for time, the range was crowded, so all we did was get it "on paper" so we could try to get some decent, honest groups out of it. The bipods are Harris notched legs, and borrowed from my PWS MK214. You can read what BA said above, about how Murphy was with us.

Here are two consecutive three shot groups. I added a few turns turns to the elevation knob so they would not print on top of each other. The lower group was shot first, the upper group came next. With about five minutes in between. You can not "rapid" fire at this range... one round, every five seconds or so...

IMAG0943.jpg

Here is BA with the PWS MK114 shooting from the leaky bag... using the ACOG TA31F. He had never shot the ACOG before and was really not used to it. I take that back... he and I switched rifles on one of the stages last weekend, but other than just a few rounds through it, his experience was very minimal.

RangeDaywithPWSMKrifles005.jpg

The ACOG is a great optic for using against terrorists... or hogs... but, does not do well for shooting dime sized groups at distance. However... with hardly no experience on the rifle, and the round count I have on this thing... BA was able to show me that this rifle will perform.

Here is a five shot group with the ACOG at 100 yards... I was very pleased with his shooting.

IMAG0944.jpg

These things leaked like crazy from the bag... causing the rifle / bag / shooter to roll around like on ball bearings... fun times!!!

IMAG0945.jpg

So, there you have it. This rifle has been used... and used HARD over the past year. I have tried my best to remain as factual as I can with this rifle. It still, continues to amaze me.

As you can see, the barrel still has tons of life left in it. This rifle will be at the PWS booth at SHOT. So, stop by, say howdy... and pick it up and fondle it.

Merry Christmas to you all... I hope peace and good fortune finds you all well.

To those men and women abroad, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have spent many a holiday deployed, so I know what you face. God bless you all, and keep you safe.

v/r

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To those men and women abroad, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have spent many a holiday deployed, so I know what you face. God bless you all, and keep you safe.

v/r

DMack </div></div>

I'll second that. Keep your heads down, eyes up, and the pointy end forward. We appreciate your sacrifice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok: Disclaimer... this post will sound like a bunch of whining, and sniveling, but in all fairness... BA and I both had a crappy day shooting. </div></div>

Now that I think about it I can actually blame Snipers Hide for everything. Since getting me hooked on this sport something just feels so unnatural about sitting at a table and chair to shoot... anything, particularly at 100 yards. All I can think about while on a 100 yard range is that I'd rather be at distance shooting prone, off-hand, slung, or off barricades at distance. "Sit right here" and "shoot like this" just plain sucks any more.

I hear ya... I can't remember the last time I have had to sit on a chair and shoot from a table... it really is counter productive and I never shoot well like that.

But, that's picking nat shit out of pepper.

I'm thinking the MK116 would build a nice reliable SPR type rifle...

Ok, update... my MK114 is at PWS now, and will be on display at SHOT Show. Stop by if you are there, and say hello. They are doing a bore scope, to see how my round count has effected the rifle barrel, but I suspect there will be nothing significant to report. The rifle remains accurate, and functions flawlessly.

Here is a video showcasing the MK1 series rifles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfkKhr6LH98&feature=related

More to follow.

Cheers,

DMack

hey DMack, thanks for this.

i have always been a DI person who always felt like well since DI works why change it, but recently after getting my first AK and realizing how much cleaner and cooler it runs, it got me interested in piston AR's.

since i prefer the ergo's of the AR to any platform on the market i began looking to find the best piston design available and after lots of searching i had it narrowed between the PWS system and the ADCOR system, but this topic has really helped me make my decision.

I think this piston design is just about perfect and since im using my own lower i dont have to worry about the QD part lol.

just wanted to sign up and say thanks for this awesome thorough review of this platform

ETA: what would you suggest more, the MK110 or the MK112, i plan to eventually suppress the rifle and i have a registered lower already. also how bad is the gas blowing in your face using a suppressor, i know in DI it really shoots out the CH

Sin, My Dept just bought the Mk112 and I love it. I went with the 12.5" BBL for the extra velocity for expansion and for barriers. The extra 100FPS may not seem like much but I wanted extra insurance. You can't go wrong with either. Running it suppressed is a blast. Good luck with your PWS.
Chris

Gas blowback is not bad at all due to the long stroke piston.

Interested in getting one to use for a patrol rifle. Bouncing between PWS, LWRC, and POF. Any updates on throat erosion?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interested in getting one to use for a patrol rifle. Bouncing between PWS, LWRC, and POF. Any updates on throat erosion? </div></div>

DMack would have more info on that than I do. I think he is well over 12K through his Mk114. It still shoot under 1 MOA I believe. The man does not like to shoot groups lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blue Line</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DMack would have more info on that than I do. I think he is well over 12K through his Mk114. It still shoot under 1 MOA I believe. The man does not like to shoot groups lol. </div></div>

He's at SHOT right now so he may be slow to respond. I'm pretty sure it has 18K rounds through it. It shoots sub-minute still.

Finally home, and in one piece. It was a LONG week at SHOT Show 2012. I had the distinct honor of working with PWS there, and getting the chance to speak with a lot of people about my experiences with the PWS rifles. Best of all, I was able to show people my actual rifles, and demonstrate the wear patterns and the good / bad I have found with these rifles.

The crew at PWS are amazing people. Very intelligent and down to earth. I learned a lot about the manufacturing process, because several of the guys that run the machines that do the milling were there. I learned about the quality control that goes into each rifle... and how the process works.

PWS is still small enough that personal attention goes into every single weapon that ships out. Another interesting fact... I spoke with the owner of the company that does the Isonite coating for PWS. I learned that he is the same guy that does the coatings for MANY of the BIG names in the industry. He was pleased with the wear patterns on my MK1 and I am now a true believer in the process.

To note, the most amazing thing for me personally, was to spend a ton of time one on one with MSG(R) Paul Howe, discussing his observations with the MK1 and MK2 series rifles. No one can dispute his credibility, and to get the opportunity to speak with him about tactics and training was priceless. His findings on the PWS system mirrors my own and that gave me quite a bit of validation.

Here we are, discussing the wear cycle on the Isonite treatment that PWS gives their parts. I am showing him the buffer tube, which has ZERO wear on it after a high round count.

PWSandSHOTSHOW163-001.jpg

In talking with him, I explained the testing I have done, and how I really DON'T clean the rifle. I don't abuse it, but I have not been picky about it after shooting. He is VERY "OCD with cleaning"... which, normally I am as well. However, it was my intent to see how hard you can run this rifle in normal real world settings, and it's effects. Here we are looking at the Bolt Carrier Group / Piston System and how even the wear patterns are. His findings on his MK1 series rifles, match my own in perfect detail.

PWSandSHOTSHOW165.jpg

My take away from my time discussing the system with MSG(R) Howe, is that the system is very sound. It gives you EVERYTHING you need in an AR platform, and nothing you don't.

PWSandSHOTSHOW186.jpg

The engineers at PWS stated that my barrel was still good to go. The one thing they did not check yet, but will check before my rifles come back, is erosion around the gas port inside the barrel.

They will replace the muzzle device with a Triad on my MK114 before sending it back to me. I want to do some testing on the Triad now.

All in all, it was a tremendous time. I had the chance to see some old friends, make some new friends, and learn more about the PWS Company as a whole. I have a few new series of tests that I will be putting these rifles through, now that I have some direction.

Stay tuned...

It was also a pleasure to meet Miss Nikki Lane... and up and coming Internet Celebrity. She is such a nice person, very smart, and wickedly funny... she is also very hungry for knowledge in weaponcraft. She takes shooting very seriously...

She was curious about my MK114 and how it runs... she has several of PWS' muzzle devices and buffer tubes, but wanted to see the entire package.

PWSandSHOTSHOW235.jpg

PWSandSHOTSHOW234.jpg

I wish her all the success in the world. Her head is in the right place, and she understands the necessity for professional training.

Id like to chew your ass for making me want to spend money Dmack but looking at it this way you may be saving me a few dollars too. The only downside for me is the nearest dealer is about 2 1/2 hours from me so I can't really see how it feels or fire a few rounds through it. I'm thinking about having them put a noveske flaming pig on a 14.5 for me. They need to add OD finishes to the lineup.

Guys, Thanks for the kind words. I am just a guy that tries to tell it like it is. As stated, when I started my MK114 thread, I was no fan of the piston gun. I have never had a DI gun fail me. But, this long stroke system is amazing in the sense that it is LOW maintenance, and they run very SOFTLY. The recoil pulse, or lack there of, is what sold me. And the fact, that it goes boom when I need it to.

I'd like to speak on an issue that came to light a few posts back. Ron Pogi posted that his charging latch broke on the VLtor / Bravo Company Gunfighter Charging Handle.

This, is no doubt one of the best charging handles in the industry... and I think there is enough documentation to show that. Now... I was curious about Ron's issue, so I asked. There have been some cases of the charging handle latch breaking... but ONLY on the MK2 series rifles... NOT the MK1 series. This is due to a few issues.

I was fortunate to meet the head man, for Bravo Company. He came by the PWS booth at SHOT, and looked at my rifles. He told me that the industry does not have a standard for the AR-10 uppers, and each upper receiver is a bit different. PWS is using SI Defense Billet Uppers and Lowers. He stated that he has heard of MANY issues on the AR-10 series breaking the latches. But, it was his opinion, after investigating the breakage... that MOST of the breakage was due to the owner / operator locking the bolt back to change the magazine, or whatever... and then releasing the bolt catch... letting the bolt ride forward under the buffer spring tension... without pushing the charging handle back "home" and locking it in.

I for one, have never done this. I run my AR's the way I was taught many years ago by the US Army, some old habits die hard.

I know that in competitive circles, the shooter tries to shave off every tenth of a second they can... and this may be why latches are breaking.

I just thought I would pay this forward.

Another thing that came to my attention is the ongoing discussion between "Who is better... LWRCI or PWS". I had that question posed to me more times than I care to count at SHOT.

Here is my once and for all take on this. I know that this thread is followed by many people out there. When I started this, I asked Lowlight if I could do a NON-Biased review on his website, of a rifle that isn't considered a precision rig. He gave me his permission, and I am grateful for that.

I do not take sides when evaluating gear. I tell it like it is. I am in the business of teaching brave men and women skills that will make them successful in their scope of duty, and I can not in my right mind, endorse a product that will fail them in their darkest hour.

If you are a DI fan, then run a DI gun. There are tons of great DI guns out there. In fact, the cheapest DI gun out there, in the hands of a TRUE "gun guy"... will be fine. Why? Because we will tweak it, maintain it, care for it, and it will not fail us.

If you are a "brand x" fan... Piston / non Piston... fine. Run your gun. Get training. GET PROFESSIONAL TRAINING. Make that weapon so comfortable in your hands, that you can run it with subconscious competency. Maintain it. Care for it... and train with it.

I believe in PWS because of the system and it's reliability. I also believe in their customer service. They make a fantastic weapon for the price. I would not hesitate to carry one to hell and back. Period.

Now, my rant is over. Here's what to expect in the near future. I will continue to run my MK114 in my Carbine Classes. I will continue to keep a round count on this weapon. I also plan on swimming with it more, both fresh and salt water... to see if there is any long term effects to the Isonite treatment.

I will run my MK214 in the Police Precision Marksman role, and continue to keep an accurate round count. I'm very curious to the longevity of the bolt lugs, in comparison to the industry out there. I want to see if the long stroke piston gives any life to the bolt / carrier over the DI systems.

I also plan on using it in some 3 gun matches. The only thing I have to do is change the optic.

So far, both of these rifles are superb. I also will start a thread on my MK110 and add to that.

Cheers!

DMack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnson5R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id like to chew your ass for making me want to spend money Dmack but looking at it this way you may be saving me a few dollars too. The only downside for me is the nearest dealer is about 2 1/2 hours from me so I can't really see how it feels or fire a few rounds through it. I'm thinking about having them put a noveske flaming pig on a 14.5 for me. They need to add OD finishes to the lineup. </div></div>

Sir,

I will never apologize for someone purchasing a PWS MK1 or MK2 series rifle. In fact, if I were selling them for a living, I would just take a rifle, six magazines, and say "here, go shoot it". To shoot one, and I mean, run one HARD, is to buy one. Period. It's what made me believe in them.
grin.gif

Oh, and I hear through the grapevine... that OD "may" be coming in the near future. Just sayin...

Also, as for putting a Pig on the front of your MK114... I would say not to. Unless you really just wish to put that device there. The Pig was designed for the short barrel (really short) and I have one on my 10.5" Noveske. However, the PWS Triad works superbly on the MK1 series rifle. The MK114 would benefit more from the Triad than from the Pig. Just my .02 from using both.

Best of luck with your choice... if you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I learned a lot about the manufacturing procedure this week, and can speak a bit more intelligently on the product now.

Cheers!

DMack

Here is the information on the Isonite Treatment... the company that does it is called MMI Trutec... the lead man is Joel Kendrick. He's a heck of a great guy...

The treatment is the Isonite QPQ treatment. Here is the link:

http://www.trutecind.com/isonite_q.aspx

It's very similar to the MELONITE process, but the temperature is controlled a little bit more closely... (100 degrees cooler) and does not endanger the metal (keeps it from possible anealment)... now, I have zero idea what I just typed. All I know is that my MK114 has a very high round count in a short period of time, and is still very accurate, and shows little to no wear. It's a very hard coating...

I just wanted to push this out there... There are a number of new high speed coatings. I have only had long term experience with this process. I'm a believer in it!

Cheers!

Darren