• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

PWS MK214

Re: PWS MK214

Thanks AP... I just wish you all could shoot this rifle... It truly is a sweet shooting bullet launcher! It has become my favorite hammer.

Dmack ... thanks for your reply and your nice review of this beast rifle. I will still use the same trigger Geissel SSA-E. In fact this is my second PWS rifle which I bought without looking for any other brand. I first got my PWS MK107 AR Pistol 7.62x39 and it was so awesome that I never hesitated ordering the MK216. I did try other rifles but my instinct favors PWS. It's worth the long wait because they make the best rifle available there is. And I'm so getting my hands soon on my new wife next week .....wohoooo! 9 days and counting ....

DMack, thank you so much for your thoughts and data points on the MK214. There isn't much first hand knowledge about these guns so it is very much appreciated. In fact, it helped me to decide on starting my own PWS family/collection!

Do you have issues with any ammo through your gun causing FTFs? I find that my MK216 doesn't like mil surp ammo (South African and Radway Green). It shoots great with Privi Partizan, but consistently FTFs with the surplus stuff.

The SA M1A eats up the surplus no problem, but then again out of the box, the MK216 shoots tighter groups across the board. Would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

Brother... To date, I have a total of 600 rounds through the rifle. This rifle has not had a single issue with the 147 grain NATO or the M118LR. I've also put some 175 grain Setpoint ammo and 168 grain FGMM as well as REM Premium match. The MK2 rifles are cut with a very tight 7.62x51 NATO chamber... But my particular rifle eats everything I put in it.

Since I am using it as a precision style rifle, I am running the good stuff for consistency. I do find that the M118LR prints well. This MK214 likes the heavier bullets for tight groups.

I don't like to post up group shots because its easy to manipulate. However, I will shoot my dot drill and post that with some pics and video.

I am glad to see these brilliant rifles gaining some attention... They really are well made...

To add... If your rifle FTF's on certain ammo... Contact Todd @ PWS. I know he shoots Milspec surplus in his like its his job. Your rifle should eat like its starving... Get hold of Todd and let him know your problems. I guarantee he will fix it.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info DMack. I have Stacey's email from PWS, so I'll shoot him an email and provide an update.

I agree, PWS is gaining traction. Once you shoot one, you are hooked. A friend of mine after hearing my praises went out and ordered one through his dealer.

You can't beat the light weight, piston driven, reliable (once I get the FTF with surplus fixed), soft recoil, no muzzle rise, simplicity, and reasonable cost!

Stacey is good to go. He will get you squared away... Enjoy that rifle... It will serve you well.

Cheers!

Ooooo... D, that thing looks super sexy with the new paint.
I love it! You may have to start a thread with a tutorial and
supplies used. I'd like to treat my Spikes to a job as beautiful
as what you've accomplished with the Mk214. Just gorgeous!

Is it just me, or does the bolt carrier group and operating rod looks like a Angler fish?

I have found that running a brake, and I have tried 3 different brands, will cause carbon/calcium carbonate to form like solidified lava on the barrel crown throwing off accuracy. The formation is near impossible to remove without damaging the crown. You also have to remove and reinstall the brake and that requires timing so you do not induce torque roll. All a bit of a PITA if you ask me. It would be nice if someone made a 5/8-24 clamp on brake that fir the smaller barrel diameters like the badger so it was easy to remove and reinstall for cleaning.

I got to shoot an odd ball PWS....13.5" 260 Remington. Even with a terrible trigger and a 4x scope smackin steel at 711 yards was childs play. The steel was the size of a car door I was told (never went down range to confirm target size). It was a kick to shoot and I ran throught eh 20 round magazine quickly. It did need a can as we were shooting under a covered firing line at it was LOUD.

Pat

I was not aware that they ever clambered a barrel in 260 Remmy...

DMack- I have a 116 and a 214, I have an Eotech on my 116 but I can't decide what to put on my 214! I have a couple of years left in the military after which I have quite an interest in pursuing LE with the Idaho State Troopers. So what optic, if I wanted this for a duty rifle, should I choose? I don't know what would best serve me, I like the Eotech a lot but I hear so many bad things about it, I don't know if aimpoint makes an optic for .308 I have looked and couldn't really find anything! I feel like a 1-4 would reduce me down to outdoors only. What is your opinion on what I should pick?

Bad Medicine... optic choice is like opening a pandora's box. It's all budget driven, and quite frankly, use driven as well. I have deployed over to the box multiple times, with EOTECH as well as COMP M2 / M4 and ACOGs. Each have their place.

I used to be a HUGE EOTECH fan, but now... after seeing SO MANY of them fail, I have shied away from them. Honestly, for the MK214... or any of the MK2 series rifles, the benefit of the 7.62 is distance. You can EASILY shoot out to 500 or so yards with that MK2. I would choose an optic that would allow you to use it close in, as well as far out.

I am a US Optics fan tried and true. I would look at the new SN4 that is coming out... it's a true 1-4x optic, with dual reticles in it. IT shows HUGE promise.

If that is a bit out of your budget, look at the SWFA SS 1-4x they have. It is an amazing piece of glass. First Focal Plane, Donut / MILDOT reticle with .1 mil turrets. This will really turn that MK2 series rifles into a dual purpose hammer.

The only down side to the above mentioned glass, either the USO or the SWFA, is that on 1 power, it works very closely to a red dot sight... using donut reticles. However, it is not a holosight... so, you have to be mounted on the rifle to really get a clear sight picture. This is fine, unless you are shooting with a PROMASK or the likes.... eye relief comes into play when you up the power to 2-4x due to vignetting. I find that these style optics really fill the gap in between a true magnified optic and a holosight.

I wouldn't bother with a HOLOSIGHT on that MK2. Put some glass on it, and go have fun with it.

Just don't skimp on the mount... BoBro or American Defense / LaRue, etc... get a good mount for your glass, and have a ball with that thing.

Thank you SO much for your service. I too refuse to quit... I'm on my 25th year now... (Active and Guard). I hope this helps. There are many threads on this site that cover just about any optic you can imagine.

Make sure to put a good trigger in that 214... I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Be safe! RLTW!

Thanks for the suggestion I will definitely check out these two optics, I have heard too many bad things about Eotech as well and would like them to step up their game! Thanks for your service and I know what you mean about not wanting to leave I am pretty sure I am on my last enlistment and I am already planning on dropping into the reserves! Anyways thanks again I will let you know what I end up getting for it.

BM, I would also like to hear your experiences with the MK1 and MK2 series rifles. Please feel free to add your observations to my two threads. These rifles do not get much air time, and are not as well known as the major brands, but they offer HUGE quality and value for the buck.

I try to stay unbiased here, and give it like it is. The thing is, I have not had many negative things to say about either MK1 or MK2 platform. They just run, and run well.

I don't drink the PISTON kool aid either. I have run DI guns my whole life. I own quite a few... but, these PWS rifles are something to behold.

This MK214 is being used in a way it was not intended to be used... and it is really impressing me. I tried to set this rifle up so that anyone can duplicate my results... hopefully, your 214 serves you as well as mine is serving me.

I'm running the US Optics SN3 TPAL with EREK on mine now, 3.2-17 power. The magnification is good, but the optic is HUGE on this rifle. As soon as I get the 1.8-10 TPAL, that's what's going on this MK214.

Best of luck... and be safe. Don't hesitate to ask me any questions concerning your rifles if you need too.

Cheers,

DMack

D- I have to agree with you, I have quite a few rounds through my 116 upper and I love it! I am not a piston fan as well I would have never bought one if it wasn't for my brother in-law telling me about PWS. I have never had a failure, zero muzzle rise, and takes forever to get dirty. On the down-side my muzzle brake is impossible to shoot without ear protection and trying so will make your ears bleed! ( I know from making the mistake of leaving ear pro on the kitchen counter)

The MK 214 I haven't had a lot of time with I am stuck in Chicago, with a baby on the way so unfortunatley shooting has taken a back seat for now. Although I have put about 60-100 at least through it and was very impressed by how light weight it is, and low recoil for a .308. I have done quite a bit of handling around the house getting use the the feel of it, it seems easier to manipulate compared to other AR's or semi-auto .308's, that might just be me though.

What I am going to end up changing on my 214 is the buttstock, I despise the MOE it doesn't have the friction lock so I don't feel much of a difference between that and an A2. I think I am gonig to go with the CTR. I also don't like the MOE grip I have rather large hands and really enjoy the Ambi Ergo. I'll let you know how accuracy is when I get an optic for it but it's going to be a while, babies are expensive even without hospital bills!

Hopefully this was somewhat helpful, I agree that PWS is underated but I think they are getting to be better known as time goes on. They both seem like a solid rifle, and I really want to try my 116 out in bad guy land!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was not aware that they ever clambered a barrel in 260 Remmy... </div></div>
The guy does machine work for PWS and took it in trade for services performed. I didn't ask who barreled it.

Pat

I am going to shoot this weekend... Hopefully. Been way busy at work the past two weeks. I will get some and post them.

Ok, I got to shoot with Battle Axe and his Son today at the Bradford County Sport Shooting Complex. It's a nice private club type range, that has a lane out to 850 yards or so...

The day started off with "Qualification". Since I have not shot there before, nor had Battle Axe's Son, we both had to shoot on paper at 400, 600 and 800 yards, without any help from the Range Master.

B/A's Son and I got out our gear... he ran his DPMS 18", I ran my PWS MK214. The Range Master looked skeptical when I pulled my little SBR out of my Eberlestock X3 bag, and started setting up...

I got prone, after B/A's Son shot his first three rounds cold, and I followed up with mine. My DOPE was dead on at 400, and at 600 I noticed that we were getting a good 3-7 MPH tail wind. This allowed me to dial a little less elevation than what my program called for.

We both qualified at the perspective ranges, no problem. Then it was on to shoot some steel.

I was able to call trace for B/A as he ran his beautiful GAP-10. B/A's Son was tearing it up with his DPMS 18" and I was able to put rounds on steel with my MK214 with zero issues out to 850.

We started getting some sheering winds, and the wind stayed inconsistent all day long. I was able to ring a 12" steel swinger, that B/A set up at 850 "ish".... Here is my honest to goodness five shot string at a little over 850. I was using 168 Grain FGMM shooting from bipods and a rear sock.

PWSMK214Group1.jpg

This gives a little perspective of how we were shooting...

MK214.jpg

Here is the IPSC style silhouette that we took turns clanging. This target was right at 850 yards, behind to my left (your right) you can see the 12" swinger... All in all, it was a VERY good day of shooting... tough making wind calls, but it was a hoot. Great company, great shooting... and I can tell you, I have a SERIOUS lust factor for B/A's SWEET M1A... that rifle is amazingly beautiful... and a great shooter to boot.

PWSMK214AT850.jpg

I will be loaning this rifle out to a local Sheriff's Office in October, for them to do some testing with it. But, I will have this rifle, as well as my MK114 in Vegas at the SHOT show. So, if you are out there, stop by the PWS booth and give me a shout. You will be able to handle this rifle, and get a feel of just how SMALL it is. This rifle shoots amazingly well, for a 14.5" barrel, NON FREE FLOATING Piston Rifle... I thought those were not supposed to shoot well? :)

Cheers!!!

It was almost comical watching that PWS shoot at 850...in the context that you wouldn't expect it to make many hits at that distance but I saw it with my own eyes. IMPRESSIVE little rifle and yes...great company my friend. Looking forward to the next outing.

I will be picking your brain... because I must must MUST have an M1A like yours... that thing is just so very sexy. Words can't describe the feeling I got when firing that rifle. It was awesome meeting your Son today... he's a damn fine shooter!

That little SBR / Non Floated / Piston Gun makes me look like I know what I am doing with it. I also like the fact that it goes "boom" when I pull the trigger...

I will tell you, shooting that thing out that far, is a HOOT!!! It was NEVER meant to be used like I am using, but it is handling everything I can throw at it with aplomb.

It's easier to swim with than my Savage bolt gun, that's for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be picking your brain... because I must must MUST have an M1A like yours... that thing is just so very sexy. Words can't describe the feeling I got when firing that rifle. It was awesome meeting your Son today... he's a damn fine shooter! </div></div>

Thanks, my dad is ALMOST on my level

P.s that little rifle really suprised the hell out of me too just a all around great rig. Btw it was great meetong you next time i come down we'll have to do it again.

Brother, you can bet we will. Hopefully, I can time it to where you are down when we are doing some of our CQB training at Blanding. I'd like to get you in there, and run you through some of our Carbine stuff... Once you get a bit more trigger time behind that DPMS, you will be a force to reckon with!

Be safe, and thank you for your Service!!!

RLTW!

Got my PWS MK214 last week. I was originally looking at an SASS or maybe an SA M1A. I handled a REPER and other AR-10 variants and have never heard of PWS until I saw it at RDS in McAllen, Texas. When I picked it up and saw how light it was, and how it easily came to the shoulder we just "clicked" and it had to come home with me... I went to the range to zero the iron sights and now I need to get a scope... I am looking for a multi-power maybe 1x-6x w/30mm tube.... any suggestions?

IMG_2599.jpg

Ready to go night "HOGGIN", and no not at the local night club...
whistle.gif

IMG_2596.jpg

THIS is a SICK comp... This thing actually works as advertised..
grin.gif

IMG_2592.jpg

Another view.

Depends on your budget... the 1-4x SWFA SS is a steal... but, Leupold makes a nice 1.5-5x and US Optics makes their bullet proof SN4 series. If it were my money, and I was doing what you want to do with it, I would call Jason Kyle at US Optics, and have a talk with him about the new SN4 that USO is coming out with. It's a true 1-4x with a dual reticle... in fact, I have to have one of those.

Just make sure whatever you get, in a dual role optic, that it is First Focal Plane, has a graduated reticle that you can actually use out at distance, and make sure the turrets match the reticle in graduation. In other words, like the SWFA, it has MILDOTs and the turrets are in .1 MIL increments. On 4x, you can easily tag a hog at the far end of the working range of the MK214.

Enjoy that rifle Brother... I sure am.

Edit to add: If I were you, I would check out the VLTOR EMOD, or the MAGPUL ACS to change out that MOE stock. Also, depending on your hand size, I find that the MIAD grip really makes the MK214 balance better. It fills my hand more than the MOE does... another thing you HAVE to change, is the trigger. I would suggest a Geissele SSA or SSA-E if you can handle a two stage trigger. If you like single stage triggers, JP makes probably one of the SWEETEST single stage triggers I have felt. I'm running a Geissele SD-E in mine, and it really unleashes the accuracy that is built into these stellar rifles.

Just my .02 on it... take what you like, discard the rest. That thing really likes 168 grain FGMM... trust me, I feed mine a steady diet.

Here is a little video I put together, of me running the PWS MK214 the other day, out to 850. The video is a bit shaky in parts, that's because the camera man was moving it to sit it on the shooting table. During the move, he missed calling a few hits, but you get the drift...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MExmnCEklI

I recently had my MK216 7.62x51 and I had no issues with the rifle except for the ammo. I used American Tactical which I won't recommend, the bullets were underloaded and it keeps getting jammed. I would however, highly recommend American Eagle 150 grain.

This is my second PWS and I have the following accessories:

Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50mm (mildot)
American Defense Scope Rings (20 MOA) 30 mm
Tungsten Weight Buffer - 5 oz
Tubb CS Flat Buffer Spring
Tango Down Fore Grip
Atlas Bipod V8
MIAD Magpull Grip
Magpull ACS Stock
Bad Ass Selector Fire
Phase 5 Bolt release
Geissel SSA-E trigger

6121614552_71f68b0547_b.jpg

6121615504_e10c953b15_b.jpg

6121646284_0b07b4b15f_b.jpg

Using American Eagle 150 grain at 200 yards, wind 7-12mph, 90f w/ Bipod and Butt Stock Sandbag.

The target speaks for itself....great job PWS and thank you Dmack for your extensive review.

Thanks for all the great information Dmack, I have ordered my P214 today and have a little friend in the P114 flavor coming as well.

Ok I have lost my mind, let me fix my earlier post to clarify I ordered my MK214 today and have a little friend in the MK114 flavor coming as well.

I wasn't drunk and don't do HIGH so I have no real excuse for that posting error....except maybe LEAD PAINT chips as a kid!!

RonPogi...

That is a very nicely spec'd MK214!!! I hope you are enjoying yours as I am enjoying mine. It sure seems to shoot the 150 grain very well. I am going to play with some hand loads, and different bullets to see if I can get the most out of this rifle. However, as a LEO Marksman, I am more interested in the type of ammo that is used in that arena.

Not to say that I won't try to wring out every ounce of accuracy from this rifle. It's already proven itself WAY past the operational envelope I originally asked for.

Now, I am on to barrier testing.

I do have a question for you though... the Atlas Bipods. I like how you have them extended out in front of the rail. My only concern was how short the bottom rail is, so I envisioned that the Atlas would be a good substitute for that. Can you extend the legs a little more to get a bit more height, yet still maintain a forward rake like that?

If so, I may have to get some. The Harris bipods I have on mine, work well... but, it makes the rifle a bit "twitchy" and I have to be on my toes to run it properly.

Keep up the good shooting, and feel free to add your input into this thread. I want to make it as informative as I can... and not just coming from me.

Cheers!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medic1097</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok I have lost my mind, let me fix my earlier post to clarify I ordered my MK214 today and have a little friend in the MK114 flavor coming as well.

I wasn't drunk and don't do HIGH so I have no real excuse for that posting error....except maybe LEAD PAINT chips as a kid!! </div></div>

Sir,

I can't WAIT until you get them, so I can get you on the range with me and get them all dialed in with you. Good times, Good Shooting lay ahead!!!

Ven... great looking rig!

I can't wait to hear more about how it shoots for you. No hog will be safe, with you carrying the MK214!!!

Swine Assasin... I like!

DMack ...

These are the pictures of my Atlas Bipod V8. Standard and extended.

Its specs are provided below:

Lever Mount With ARMS 17S Mount
Construction from T6061 Aluminum, Hard Anodized black
Stainless steel springs and fasteners
UHMW components used for smooth tracking
15 degrees +/- of preloaded Pan
15 degrees +/- of preloaded Cant
Preload on Pan and Cant can be tightened by means of the knurled knob
Picitinny Rail Mount interface by either standard machine screw fastener based clamp or optional ARMS 17S lever mount.
Non orientated leg positioning use either hand to move leg into any of the four leg positions
Leg positions are; stowed back, 90 degrees straight down, 45 degrees forward and stowed forward.
All 4 leg positions are solid allowing the shooter to load the bipod at the 45 and 90 degree positions.
Non orientated leg length adjustment, Outer leg slides on the Inner leg locating on any of five positions ¾” apart and can be done by either hand.
Optional 3” leg extensions to increase height available.
Standard soft durable Rubber feet that are suitable for many surfaces.
Optional interchangeable Ski and Multi Spiked style feet can be swapped in the field with the press of a ball plunger with a bullet tip.
Optional mounting systems available for Accuracy International and Sako rifles.
Estimated range of elevation on the BT10 is 5-9” from the surface up to the rail.

6122722190_d800c1a88e_b.jpg

6122720334_7c77a895f8_b.jpg

6122721290_3a093f82dd_b.jpg

6122236291_0797264ae8_b.jpg

Dmack Sir..

I have noticed a burn mark on my barrel after firing 200 rounds (non-corrosive). Is there any way this can be removed or remedied? It makes my rifle unappealing.
frown.gif

6122798418_50b7cb094e_b.jpg

Actually... That is where the gas is vented. You can remove it easily with a small strip of scotch-brite green pad, or a brush. It is purely cosmetic and will not hurt the function in any way. I just leave mine alone... Then again, all my rifles are painted.

Those Atlas Bipods will be on the way to me soon. I think they would be perfect.
Thank you for the pictures. Id love to see them in action!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be picking your brain... because I must must MUST have an M1A like yours... that thing is just so very sexy. Words can't describe the feeling I got when firing that rifle. </div></div>
That M1A is a contagious disease for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DUB19K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, my dad is ALMOST on my level
</div></div>

Actually I'm NOT. I refuse to put duct tape or velvet scrunchies on my rifles
wink.gif

Hi DMack,
Thanks for the reviews on the MK214. I am looking at the MK216 because of the threaded barrel. I had been told the rifle cannot be fully stripped down if the suppressor is attached. Is that true? I have also been told there is no difference in accuracy between the two (MK214 & MK216), also, is that true?

Mr. MOA...

The MK214 has a pinned muzzle device to keep it compliant with NFA rules and regulations. The MK216 would still need a muzzle device, but it would be able to be removed, but you would not attach a supressor to the threaded barrel. In other words, to attach a GEMTECH can, you would need a GEMTECH compliant muzzle device. The rifle is able to be fully taken apart even with a can attached.
I have not fired the MK216 so I can not speak to its accuracy. However, I have spoken to folks that have shot the MK216. The only issue with accuracy is that you do not load the bipods like you would on a traditional rifle... These rifles shoot extremely soft. There is no need to load the bipods... Also, the MK2 series rifle is sensitive to firing with the bolt locking back on an empty mag. This seems to induce fliers.

I hope this helps...

Cheers!

As far as I know there both have extremely accurate rifle. The difference between the MK214 & MK216 is the muzzle velocity, what I mean is the MK214 is less than 100-150 fps from MK216.

Thanks DMack,
You are right, I was referring to being able to switch between the FSC30 and the PRC muzzel break, not a silencer.. The thought is to use the FSC30 for hunting and the PRC for long range shooting. The on-line reviews for the FSC30 sound like it is the perfect all around muzzel brake / flash suppressor, however, several folks such as yourself seem to prefer the PRC. Do you have experience with both of these muzzle devices to know first had what the performance is like?