• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Q thunder chicken or other Recommendation?

Smith1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Ohio
Looking at the Q thunder chicken as my next Suppressor if anybody has any feedback. I have a silencerco Chimaira 300 now. I’m pretty happy with an overall, but would like a little lighter and a little longer for better sound suppression. I switched it over to the Plan B and use cherry bombs and all my equipment now. It will only be on a gas gun, and while I’m not set on the thunder chicken I atleast need it to be able to convert to use plan b

Many suppressors use Q Plan B. Any suppressor that has the 1-3/8x24 thread. Lots of options in that realm. SiCo, Dead Air, KGM, Abel Co., Rex, etc.

I personally use the Q Plan B system, I think its the most elegant out there (however I personally use Rearden MFG muzzle devices).

I see no reason to use a Q can. They don't really do anything better than other suppressors, and their customer service sucks.

What exactly are you trying to suppress? What cartridge and rifle system?

Reactions: Snaz and Smith1
Many suppressors use Q Plan B. Any suppressor that has the 1-3/8x24 thread. Lots of options in that realm. SiCo, Dead Air, KGM, Abel Co., Rex, etc.

I personally use the Q Plan B system, I think its the most elegant out there (however I personally use Rearden MFG muzzle devices).

I see no reason to use a Q can. They don't really do anything better than other suppressors, and their customer service sucks.

What exactly are you trying to suppress? What cartridge and rifle system?

Will probably swap between a 6mm creed and a .243 gas gun so I can keep the chimerra on my Valkyrie

What are your objectives?

Do you have a price limitation? What do you value more? Suppression? Weight/length? Backpressure/blowback?

Reactions: Smith1
What are your objectives?

Do you have a price limitation? What do you value more? Suppression? Weight/length? Backpressure/blowback?

I want something lighter than the chimerra and if I can gain some noise reduction that would be great as well. Length doesn’t really matter to me, I mostly coyote hunt wide open fields

Would like to be under $1500 with the stamp

Here are some options:

- KGM R30/R30K
- Dead Air Nomad Ti, Nomad-30
- Otter Creek Hydrogen Series
- Rex MG-X (certain baffle configurations will weigh more than the chimera)
- SiCo Omega
- CGS Helios QD
- CGS Hyperion K? (unsure if this has the 1-3/8x24 thread)

I should add the Helios QD is over your price range, its ~$1600 before tax stamp. All others posted should meet your price limit.

Friends don't let friends buy Q....

Dead air nomad
Otter creek
Tbac Magnus/dominus
Rugged radiant/surge

Dominus doesn't have the ability to accept Q Plan B interface, however the Magnus does with its "hub" option.

The magnus is a very large suppressor, however will just inch under the OP's requirement of being lighter than a Chimera, with much better sound suppression.

I have one. Don’t have anything positive or negative to say….it does what it is supposed to do. It is a higher back pressure can, so that could be an issue pending the platform you plan on using it on. I run mine on a Q Fix .308 and it is great on that setup.

But if doing it all over I probably would not. Primarily due to the length….so this covers a range of suppressors. My current preferred cans are the Nomad 30 and Nomad 30 Ti.

I have one. Don’t have anything positive or negative to say….it does what it is supposed to do. It is a higher back pressure can, so that could be an issue pending the platform you plan on using it on. I run mine on a Q Fix .308 and it is great on that setup.

But if doing it all over I probably would not. Primarily due to the length….so this covers a range of suppressors. My current preferred cans are the Nomad 30 and Nomad 30 Ti.
And I have converted all my 7.62/.308 suppressors to the Q Plan B. I really like the Cherry Bomb interface.

Reactions: Snaz
Dominus doesn't have the ability to accept Q Plan B interface, however the Magnus does with its "hub" option.

The magnus is a very large suppressor, however will just inch under the OP's requirement of being lighter than a Chimera, with much better sound suppression.

Magnus looks like a contender, I didn’t know about the hub option. It does look bigly in the reviews but I just measure my jk form 1 and it’s almost 9” so the length won’t seem weird atleast

Reactions: kthomas
Magnus looks like a contender, I didn’t know about the hub option. It does look bigly in the reviews but I just measure my jk form 1 and it’s almost 9” so the length won’t seem weird atleast

The magnus is one of the best suppressors on the market for actual noise suppression. If you want quiet, than a magnus would be an excellent can if you don't mind the length.

I personally would love to have a magnus in my stable.

I run Rex MG7s with cherrybombs. Nothing fancy but good warranty and very affordable. Perfect balance for me with weight, length, sound, price and warranty. I also have a Q Full Nelson super quiet on 300BLK subs but it is direct thread. I personally have had nothing but great experience with Q customer service the 2 times I reached out.

Reactions: Smith1 and kthomas
Looking at the Q thunder chicken as my next Suppressor if anybody has any feedback. I have a silencerco Chimaira 300 now. I’m pretty happy with an overall, but would like a little lighter and a little longer for better sound suppression. I switched it over to the Plan B and use cherry bombs and all my equipment now. It will only be on a gas gun, and while I’m not set on the thunder chicken I atleast need it to be able to convert to use plan b
I would buy literally anything before buying a Kevin B. product. 😂 Also, the Q Plan-B has a history of getting carbon-locked and getting stuck on the gun, or in the suppressor and having to be cut-out by the manufacturer. I would opt for a different mounting system personally…

Look into the Dead Air Nomad-LT (8.5” x 1.725”) and the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L (9” x 1.625”) suppressors. Both are extremely quiet and lightweight. Both are quality products from good companies with good warranties. Both are 1.375x24 HUB threaded for use with any mounting system you prefer. 👍🏼

I have plenty of videos on my YouTube channel, and several threads covering each brand & model. Do some searching and you’ll find them. Both threads should be within the first 3 pages of threads here in this section, so easy to find.

And if you have any questions about them, feel free to DM me, I’ll be glad to help.

The issue with the cherry bomb mounts is there is no wrench flats, so if they get stuck (whether it's carbon, over tightening, etc), there is no easy way to get the mount out. Perhaps you can do some trickery with a left hand thread bolt and nut, but that's going to be a pain in the ass.

That's why I prefer the Rearden MFG mounts. They use the Plan B thread pattern (which I personally think is the most elegant out there), but they put wrench flats on the mounts. So if it does get stuck, there's an easy way to fix it. Plus their stuff is really well made.

When carbon and mounts are involved, there's always a chance for things getting stubborn and stuck. No matter the mount. That's why it's smart to have an engineered in backup plan (like wrench flats).

The issue with the cherry bomb mounts is there is no wrench flats, so if they get stuck (whether it's carbon, over tightening, etc), there is no easy way to get the mount out. Perhaps you can do some trickery with a left hand thread bolt and nut, but that's going to be a pain in the ass.

That's why I prefer the Rearden MFG mounts. They use the Plan B thread pattern (which I personally think is the most elegant out there), but they put wrench flats on the mounts. So if it does get stuck, there's an easy way to fix it. Plus their stuff is really well made.

When carbon and mounts are involved, there's always a chance for things getting stubborn and stuck. No matter the mount. That's why it's smart to have an engineered in backup plan (like wrench flats).

Another vote for the Reardon Plan B compatible brakes over the cherry bomb. I use them on all of my bolt action barrels.

ETA: couple of pics of the Reardon SPB brake & Reardon Atlas mount. Easy to get to the wrench flats if needed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-115633_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-115633_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot_20220413-115648_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-115648_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Left hand threads on the outside of the plan B would probably prevent most of the mounts stick in cans issues but Q is too smart for that. Because science or something is what they’d say I’m sure.

I have a thunder chicken. Q gets a bad rap from Kevin B. The suppressor is fine and does what it is supposed to do. But, I really don't like that the cherry bomb doesn't have wrench flats. It is very minimalist, so much so that there is a warning right in the instructions not to thread the can onto the cherry bomb without first installing the cherry bomb correctly to a rifle. You WILL get the thing stuck. Their words, not mine. Then, without wrench flats, you now have a direct thread can. My 6.5 grendel shoots tiny little groups with it on or off, though there is a POI change with it on. I torque it to 20 ft lbs using a torque wrench because I had it loosen up on a 6.5 creedmoor when hand tight. I had poor results with it on my RPR in 6.5 CM, though that could be because it was not staying tight. The TC works really well on my 300 BO as well. There are other options that do the same thing for less money, and are more functional because of the 1 3/8x24 rear end cap threading. I've never heard of the cherry bomb betting carbon locked, and the taper before the threads should prevent it. Mine shows a really clean line of separation on the cherry bomb where the taper interfaces with the can and seals carbon away from the threads. But, I don't shoot 1000s of rounds between mounting and dismounting the can, so take it for what it is worth. I'm not selling my TC and will continue to use it on the rifles that have a CB mount. But, I have moved to other suppressors that i like more. A YHM Resonator 2 is a lot of can for a little bit of money. My favorite right now, and you can use the Q Plan B if you choose.

Diligent Defense enticer ti (s or l)
Dead Air Nomad 30 or L
CGS Helios QD Ti (this can be found cheaper than $1600 but it is expensive. I got mine for 1200.)
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen S or L

Rearden atlas qd system with the fhd or spb.

I don’t hate Q stuff. I had a Fix rifle which was novel and fun but I sold it cause I was bored with it. Q is fine in my opinion. That said, TBAC. All day and twice on a Sunday.

Look at a Dominus or Magnus. The Dominus is shorter.

I would buy literally anything before buying a Kevin B. product. 😂 Also, the Q Plan-B has a history of getting carbon-locked and getting stuck on the gun, or in the suppressor and having to be cut-out by the manufacturer. I would opt for a different mounting system personally…

Look into the Dead Air Nomad-LT (8.5” x 1.725”) and the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L (9” x 1.625”) suppressors. Both are extremely quiet and lightweight. Both are quality products from good companies with good warranties. Both are 1.375x24 HUB threaded for use with any mounting system you prefer. 👍🏼

I have plenty of videos on my YouTube channel, and several threads covering each brand & model. Do some searching and you’ll find them. Both threads should be within the first 3 pages of threads here in this section, so easy to find.

And if you have any questions about them, feel free to DM me, I’ll be glad to help.

Appreciate the feedback. I think I’m really down to the nomad LT and the magnus, just haven’t quite decided if the few DB’s is worth the extra $3-400

As far as the plan B I’ve heard the horror stories but I think people also grossly over tighten the cans. But it hasn’t come unthreaded or loose like the POS ASR mount that was on the chimera so I’ll stick with them until they give me a reason not to

Reactions: FuhQ
Appreciate the feedback. I think I’m really down to the nomad LT and the magnus, just haven’t quite decided if the few DB’s is worth the extra $3-400

As far as the plan B I’ve heard the horror stories but I think people also grossly over tighten the cans. But it hasn’t come unthreaded or loose like the POS ASR mount that was on the chimera so I’ll stick with them until they give me a reason not to

People crank down on the Plan B's and induce errors. Some people I guess don't realize that as the can heats up, the threads expand.

Just snug it up hand tight and you'll be fine. Don't gorilla it on.

As far as the plan B I’ve heard the horror stories but I think people also grossly over tighten the cans. But it hasn’t come unthreaded or loose like the POS ASR mount that was on the chimera so I’ll stick with them until they give me a reason not t

Having put several thousand rounds through my Nomad-LT in various platforms and cartridges, including subsonics…. It is an extremely impressive can. I think you wouldn’t really notice giving anything to the Magnus. Both are great cans. That $300-400 would go towards a KeyMo abs as couple of brakes. 🤷🏼

Having put several thousand rounds through my Nomad-LT in various platforms and cartridges, including subsonics…. It is an extremely impressive can. I think you wouldn’t really notice giving anything to the Magnus. Both are great cans. That $300-400 would go towards a KeyMo abs as couple of brakes. 🤷🏼
Or Rearden MFG brakes :p

Reactions: FuhQ