• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Question about Curtis custom vector

6.5guys2

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Tn
I’m looking to get into prs and I’m really leaning towards the Curtis vector action because I will b burning barrels and swapping them and I really like there system for that is there anyone who can give more info on this action I’m new to this forum just trying to get some ideas on y I should go this way or y I should not go this way thanks guys if anyone knows someone with a action or barreled action plz send them my way thanks in advance

I’m looking to get into prs and I’m really leaning towards the Curtis vector action because I will b burning barrels and swapping them and I really like there system for that is there anyone who can give more info on this action I’m new to this forum just trying to get some ideas on y I should go this way or y I should not go this way thanks guys if anyone knows someone with a action or barreled action plz send them my way thanks in advance

I’ve been running mine for over a year in matches. I’ve got a YouTube video on the Vector. Check it out and if you’ve got any other questions just ask

I wouldn't get too hung up on barrel quick change systems. Shouldered barrels come with less "quirks" and are easy to change out with the correct tools.

Curtis actions can be finicky to setup properly to get reliable feeding, among other things.

For someone who is setting up their first PRS rifle, I would recommend a more "fool proof" setup then one that can be fickle and be the cause of lots of frustration.

For those reasons, I would recommend a Lone Peak Fuzion or Impact action. Not much to go wrong on those actions, and people generally love them.

Curtis barrels are still shouldered it's either hand tight or torqued to spec just like all the others.

Curtis barrels are still shouldered it's either hand tight or torqued to spec just like all the others.

I believe you have to either spec it to be shouldered and torqued or for hand tight and use the retention screw. If I'm not mistaken, the threads are cut differently between the two, so you can either do one or the other.

If you just shoulder and torque it up (as you should anyways), then you negate the quick change feature. But if the quick change feature no longer becomes a criteria, then a lot of excellent action options open up.

Reactions: Ksracer
What caliber do you plan on running I can get a season out of most of my 6mm (1800-2500 rounds ) and a few out of a 6.5 (4500+)

Unless you plan on changing.barrels at the range you can get a fully threaded tenon for the vector. And skip the set screws.

I have a vector and impact and sold my axiom and big horn origin

The origin with the savage prefits is really a great option with minimal effort

Stay away from Curtis, there are threads on top of threads about all sorts of problems.

You know a couple actions I never see anybody complaining about or asking how to fix an issue?

-Bighorn TL3
-Impact
-Lone Peak

I have a TL3 and it's wicked awesome, I see no reason to switch. Have a buddy with one, no issues with his either, or the numerous CO shooters running TL3s and TL2s farther back, all without problems.

Have several buddies with Lone Peak Fuzions and they run pretty damn reliably.

Have zero experience with impact but I've never heard a single complaint about em.

tenor.gif

Stay away from Curtis, there are threads on top of threads about all sorts of problems.

You know a couple actions I never see anybody complaining about or asking how to fix an issue?

-Bighorn TL3
-Impact
-Lone Peak

I have a TL3 and it's wicked awesome, I see no reason to switch. Have a buddy with one, no issues with his either, or the numerous CO shooters running TL3s and TL2s farther back, all without problems.

Have several buddies with Lone Peak Fuzions and they run pretty damn reliably.

Have zero experience with impact but I've never heard a single complaint about em.

tenor.gif

I'll throw Mausingfield in the mix. I absolutely love mine, but it's certainly not as popular as other actions out there for PRS. Not quite sure why it never caught on, as it has some very clever features and has been very reliable for myself and everyone else I know that's had one.

Reactions: LawnMM
Ive been getting the run around from Chase at Curtis for months. Ive paid in full and haven’t seen shit. Multiple emails text messages and calls. All blow and no go. Lots of other action makers with customer service too. Im down to small claims or a trip to Hondo to settle in person. Hate to publicly bash someone but don’t want anyone to have the same shitty experience. Look around Is all im saying.
This is in no way a comment on the quality of Curtis products as I haven't had the chance to use them. Just my bad experience with someone taking payment and no refund and no product.

Ive been getting the run around from Chase at Curtis for months. Ive paid in full and haven’t seen shit. Multiple emails text messages and calls. All blow and no go. Lots of other action makers with customer service too. Im down to small claims or a trip to Hondo to settle in person. Hate to publicly bash someone but don’t want anyone to have the same shitty experience. Look around Is all im saying.
This is in no way a comment on the quality of Curtis products as I haven't had the chance to use them. Just my bad experience with someone taking payment and no refund and no product.

That's really shitty. Perhaps a blessing in disguise, if you can get your money back.

A shooting friend of mine had an Axiom and a Vector, both unshootable from the factory. The bolt face of the Vector looked concave like a radar dish. He's since given up on Curtis and has gone to shooting AI rifles...

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
If you paid with a card dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Print and send them your emails and calls logs, they'll charge Curtis back and return your money.

Then unless Curtis can prove they didn't hose you, the refund becomes permanent and Curtis has a strike in the book with the CC company.

That's shitty to hear honestly the terminus has alot of threads with nothing but good things about it.

As far as the vector goes I've seen a few threads of people having issues with ALOT of people repeating what theyve heard without first hand. Not that that's bad. Just reputation is everything with online communities. If people have issues you hear about it. If they dont they dont say anything

If you paid with a card dispute the charge with your credit card company.

Print and send them your emails and calls logs, they'll charge Curtis back and return your money.

Then unless Curtis can prove they didn't hose you, the refund becomes permanent and Curtis has a strike in the book with the CC company.
I figured that since the charge was done back in Sept. i was screwed. I will try that. I printed all my correspondence out earlier. Thank you. I hope it all has a happy ending. He seems like a decent dude on the phone but i cant eat $1,600+ And just need to move on.

I'd gladly take another Curtis lots of guys running the MPA PMR rifles at my matches with zero issues. Vectors I've heard of issue a but haven't experienced any myself and I'm even running a Dasher ..my axiom was flawless other then having.to change out the fire control after I put my third barrel on.

I'd gladly take another Curtis lots of guys running the MPA PMR rifles at my matches with zero issues. Vectors I've heard of issue a but haven't experienced any myself and I'm even running a Dasher ..my axiom was flawless other then having.to change out the fire control after I put my third barrel on.

this right here^^^

i have an axiom...actually had 2...no issues with either one...the one im running now has been a 6.5x47 3xs...6CM 2xs...6BR 2xs...6BRX at least 4xs and now a 6BRA...that said i doubt id buy another one just because of all the problems i read about them now.

Thanks for all the info guys does anyone have any info on the terminus action r they better than the Curtis thanks again guys

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Thanks for all the info guys does anyone have any info on the terminus action r they better than the Curtis thanks again guys

I have no experience with them so I can't comment how they'll perform. Though I can tell you that terminus actions are being built by the same person who pretty much designed the Curtis actions. It turns out he felt better off separating from the team @ Curtis custom and started with the terminus actions on his own. These actions seem to be similar to Curtis actions but with all the quirks being worked out thus improving the action. This may be why people are steering you more towards Terminus rather that Curtis.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was pretty much set on using the Vector for my next build but now I may have to do a little more research. Thanks for the info, this was very useful for me as well.

I found the post where you can read it all straight from the designer, Russo...

I have no experience with them so I can't comment how they'll perform. Though I can tell you that terminus actions are being built by the same person who pretty much designed the Curtis actions. It turns out he felt better off separating from the team @ Curtis custom and started with the terminus actions on his own. These actions seem to be similar to Curtis actions but with all the quirks being worked out thus improving the action. This may be why people are steering you more towards Terminus rather that Curtis.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's my understanding as well. Joel wanted to improve on the quality and design of the action, but his partner at Curtis wasn't interested. So he separated to create a better product in his mind, which is under the Terminus brand. I believe there's a lot of bad blood between the brands, and people on both sides are pretty charged and passionate. Personally I don't have a dog in the fight and although I'm not going to jump into the fray and fight for a brand, I can read between the lines and I know what action I would pick.

Would be curious to hear from anyone that's owned both brands, to see if he's accomplished his vision of making a better product. I like the ethos of Terminus, and can appreciate when there's a mission to deliver a quality product and improve and refine when there's a need.

One thing that should definitely be improved is the issue with feeding - the oversized bolt of the Curtis action caused a lot of frustration with owners if the rifle was not setup correctly. Terminus bolts are reduced to 0.750" if I remember correctly.

If I had to get a 60° action (I'm not a 60° bolt throw fan), I personally would be looking at Terminus over Curtis, based on the history of Curtis and all the known issues, and the ethos and mission of Terminus.

Why not a 60* bolt?

I like the lighter bolt lifts and close of the 90° actions.

I think the speed argument of the 60° actions is silly, if you look at the best shooters, like Dave Preston and Matt Brousseau, they run their bolts slow and smoothly. Running the bolt quickly only induces issues, like short stroking the bolt and inducing feed issues, and it can throw your rifle of target if you get too aggressive with the bolt for speed.

It's more of a preference then anything. There's nothing wrong with a 60° bolt per say, I just personally prefer a nice light 90°.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
Terminus made some improvements to his actions to include a reduced bolt body diameter to address feeding issues. Terminus has great customer service, something that was lacking from the company he departed. I currently have a Curtis and haven't had any issues with it. As for customer service with said company is a different story...

Reactions: Mallardmilitia
I like the lighter bolt lifts and close of the 90° actions.

I think the speed argument of the 60° actions is silly, if you look at the best shooters, like Dave Preston and Matt Brousseau, they run their bolts slow and smoothly. Running the bolt quickly only induces issues, like short stroking the bolt and inducing feed issues, and it can throw your rifle of target if you get too aggressive with the bolt for speed.

It's more of a preference then anything. There's nothing wrong with a 60° bolt per say, I just personally prefer a nice light 90°.

gotcha.

Shoulder should still contact the action. It's just " hand tight" then set screwed

This is not 100% correct.

There is a slightly different tennon spec for barrels intended to be torqued on and barrels intended to utilize the set screws.

Is the difference enough to matter? I don’t know, but I’m *assuming* there is a reason for the difference.

I used one Vector action and loved it, which convinced me to buy one for myself. The one I've had has been nothing but problems. Weak extraction causing ejection issues, poor customer service, and feeding problems. The one problem I haven't had (yet) is the headspace issue that I've seen other people identify.

The first one I used was while Joel was still with the company and the one I bought was after he left. I don't know if that's had an effect on the manufacturing side of things but from what I've seen it's definitely had an effect on the customer service. At this point, and for this much money, I'd go with something else and if you're dead set on a quick-change barrel capability look into one of the switch lug or barrel nut options.

Reactions: kthomas
I just ordered a mpa 6mm axiom switchlug. I am wondering if I should try and change my order to a impact precision action...

I am currently running a Terminus Zeus. I started shooting a CC Vector when Joel was with CC. Joel is the designer of the actions for CC. My Vector ran fantastic for the 2019 season. I run a 6CM and loved that I could switch back to my practice 308 barrel during the week and then do a quick re-zero before I left the range. Some of the issues were using triggers other then Triggertech which caused light primer strikes. There were some other issues with the first version but have been fixed. I just picked up my new Zeus action and have not had a problem with it. With a lot of the high end rifles, there are some fine tuning with mags to get them to run right. The one thing I can say about Joel is that he will make it right with his actions. If you have any questions about his actions do not hesitate to ask him. Just be aware he is extremely busy right now and may not get back with you immediately.

I also just built a 300NM off of his Helios Long Actions it has been performing flawlessly.

Happy Vector customer here. Recognizing I'm still only around 700 rounds with the action, and I'm not switching barrels every weekend by any means, but occasionally transitioning between 6.5 and .223 has been scratching my fun itch.

Reactions: Z06pilot
I have an early vector from when Joel was still with Curtis. The only issue I have had is with trying to run aw mags in my current set up. Joel is the man always attentive when I have communicated with him and always honest. My next action will be a Helios from Joel. My only customer service issue was when I waited months for a 224v bolt. Because I have had such great experiences with Joel I would recommend having a good look at his Zeus. Joel always answers my text messages emails phone calls and Instagram messages very promptly.

Reactions: Z06pilot
Well you can add my name to the growing list of disappointed Curtis customers. Placed an order for a left handed vector during the promo they ran on the 24th of April 2020 over the phone and was told that it would take 6-8 weeks to complete. FFWD to today 8/27/2020 and after being ghosted on multiple emails and never returned phone calls only to be told on the occasional reply that it would take another three weeks I decided to cancel my order. After waiting 17 weeks and being told to wait another three weeks on something that was only supposed to take eight weeks I gave up.....

Last edited:
My action had to be sent back as soon as I got it from the FFL. After I got it back from Curtis I sent an email regarding another issue with my action. No response.

Well you can add my name to the growing list of disappointed Curtis customers. Placed an order for a left handed vector during the promo they ran on the 24th of April 2020 over the phone and was told that it would take 6-8 weeks to complete. FFWD to today 8/27/2020 and after being ghosted on multiple emails and never returned phone calls only to be told on the occasional reply that it would take another three weeks I decided to cancel my order. After waiting 17 weeks and being told to wait another three weeks on something that was only supposed to take eight weeks I gave up.....

Probably a blessing in disguise.

I figured that since the charge was done back in Sept. i was screwed. I will try that. I printed all my correspondence out earlier. Thank you. I hope it all has a happy ending. He seems like a decent dude on the phone but i cant eat $1,600+ And just need to move on.

@sodakhunter did you ever get your rifle?