• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question About Home Defense Weapon

on a serious note....any of you guys have any experience with those AK pattern 12G shotguns, like the AK12, the SDS lynx, or the JTS M12AK ?

im thinking one of those, SBS'd, loaded with Winchester PDX defender 12G could be a nice little room sweeper.

My opinion after having owned one is that it is a horrible idea for home defense.
I'd take a good tube fed, inertia operated semi over them any day of the week.

They are cool toys, but I'd never trust my life to one.

tumblr_ps61tnwKRy1qkjloqo1_250.gifv

In all seriousness, a .300 BO, particularly with subsonic rounds will stop a bad guy while not going through 3 neighbors’ brick walls.

I’ve got an 8” 300BLK that pretty much goes everywhere with me. Still waiting for the king’s men to grant me the permission to bring its suppressor home from the store, but even without it, it’s fun and compact. 10/10, would recommend. Pistols are stashed in many places within the house and one normally on my hip. Like others said, more than arms length away is out of reach.

Home security isn't about making your house into a fortress. Instead it just needs to look somewhat worse or poorer or maybe a bit more secure to a tweeker than the guys house next door or the house down the street. And always hide the cutting knives inthe kitchen out of sight. That's typically the first thing a tweeker will go look for when they break in. Look at your house like a tweeker would. And park your Mercedes in front of your neighbors house and put an old pickup in your own driveway.

You need to find some other place to live if you think you need to do any of that shit.

SMFH

I have so many questions I want to ask, but I'm afraid of what the answers might be.

Are you from Florida? Cause I can see a guy from Florida getting killed with an AR dildo cannon while breaking into a house.
😎 Florida gonna do what Florida gonna do.

And no, I don’t personally own a dildo launcher. But it would indeed be rather comical, especially if it was used to deter a break in.

on a serious note....any of you guys have any experience with those AK pattern 12G shotguns, like the AK12, the SDS lynx, or the JTS M12AK ?

im thinking one of those, SBS'd, loaded with Winchester PDX defender 12G could be a nice little room sweeper.
I think you spelled 870 wrong.

I’ve seen quite a few of the AR style on the range. They make a hell of a lot of noise, but idk if I’d actually trust my life in them. They just seem…cheap? Now, a Benelli M4 is the tits.

The most powerful weapon you will ever carry is between your ears. Every self defense situation is different. Almost anything can be a weapon.

In most self defense situations you are the reactor not the actor. Are you gonna do a quick draw when looking down a barrel? Access the situation do you think they (the bad guy) intends to let you survive? If yes maybe submission is the best weapon. But how can you ever really know that?

If you think this situation ends with your possible death then you have one advantage, surprise. Be crazier and more desperate than the perp. He is not expecting you to be full on nuts. He is expecting you to cower. Remember there is a short period of time between the time the perp commits to killing you (pulling trigger) and the moment he actually is able to pull the trigger. This is your time because he will now be the reactor and you will be the actor.

There no right answer. Keep your wits and use them to your advantage. Panic and you lose. This is easily said and very hard to do. So do you feel lucky? Change your mindset and be calm, if you can. Your brain is very powerful. JMHO

In my state there exists the legal presumption that someone unlawfully in your home or occupied vehicle, or unlawfully attempting to enter into your home or occupied vehicle, is doing so to inflict death or serious bodily injury to one or more of the lawful occupants of same.

I fully intend to use that presumption in my favor.

I think you spelled 870 wrong.

I’ve seen quite a few of the AR style on the range. They make a hell of a lot of noise, but idk if I’d actually trust my life in them. They just seem…cheap? Now, a Benelli M4 is the tits.
yeah all of the AR pattern ones ive felt feel like Nerf guns....and the Chinese AK pattern shotguns also feel a little jingly-jangly.....

i didnt know if the Kalashnikov USA ones were built any better.

my current HD shotgun is a 590 SBS, runs great....but looking into semi's

Okay everyone knows they need a weapon for home defense. Some say any type of handgun, others might say a shotgun, while a very few would say a rifle.

Well, I've come up with a weapon that will fill each of those criteria all in one weapon.

I think the perfect home defense weapon is an...

AR style 50 Beowulf pistol. It's a quasi rifle, shoots the equivalent of a shotgun slug and is a pistol by it's very nature.

What do ya think???
Have a H&K FABARM FP6 12 ga. shotgun next to my Rack. Have a bright ass Surefire light on the rail. A H&K .45 compact under my pillow , loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs with a UTL attached.
Closet in bedroom I have a Colt M4 with 2 extra mags mounted above door.
Wrong crib to go trick or treating at when not invited 👍

I'd be leery of posting signs saying that you'll shoot someone. While they get a strong point across...they can also be used against you by a DA.

Reactions: LaraCroft
My opinion after having owned one is that it is a horrible idea for home defense.
I'd take a good tube fed, inertia operated semi over them any day of the week.

They are cool toys, but I'd never trust my life to one.
funny id say the exact opposite...hate to say it

my brother picked up a used saiga 20ga, it was a stamped tin piece of crap lol

hes not one for maintenance....like anything

we used to go hunting in kansas for pheasant late November december. cold shit weather most of the time

the crew we went with had money so all very nice shotguns not 500$ specials

over all the years we went, that piece of shit saiga never gave a hint of trouble while others had a problem now and then

would fire as fast as you could pull the trigger, i actually think it was faster than my benelli

magazines were a pain because you couldnt top one off with a singe round with out drooping mag

funny id say the exact opposite...hate to say it

my brother picked up a used saiga 20ga, it was a stamped tin piece of crap lol

hes not one for maintenance....like anything

we used to go hunting in kansas for pheasant late November december. cold shit weather most of the time

the crew we went with had money so all very nice shotguns not 500$ specials

over all the years we went, that piece of shit saiga never gave a hint of trouble while others had a problem now and then

would fire as fast as you could pull the trigger, i actually think it was faster than my benelli

magazines were a pain because you couldnt top one off with a singe round with out drooping mag

Maybe the 20 gauge ones work differently.

I had a nicely done up AK variant in 12 gauge

a Beretta 1201 12 gauge is hard to beat for firing fast and taking a lot of abuse (assuming you are using full power loads).

I went ahead and broke out the 'ranch defense kit' in two separate photographs. Please keep in mind that my situation is unique, and that a LEO response is likely 45 minutes or more away. Also understand that my wife only works away from home two days per week, and I spend 99% of my time here as that is what life dictates. We are always home, so I have a few more things laying out that would normally be locked in a safe. In fact, if we are going somewhere together, this stuff does get locked in a safe...but that is rare.

Photo one has my nightstand pistol (M&P Pro in .40) with cheap ass light. The light works great, but I'd definitely upgrade if this were a duty weapon... I have a backup just in case. Rifle on top stands next to the bed, and is an early DDM4V7 loaded with 55gr Speer GD. That is my primary gun, not the pistol. Both are within arm's reach of where I sleep. Shotgun is a Mossberg 590A1 that has six rounds of #4 flite control buck in the tube, plus the 10 rounds of 00 buck in the side saddle and stock...it sits in the safe room. *These guns are all condition 3 because I have two little kids, and I don't have these locked up. If you see the safties off that is because the hammer is down on an empty chamber.

20210628_111340.jpg

Next are the guns that are in Condition 1, because they are put out of reach/hidden. Top rifle is an FN DMR II that i use for all of my outside killing. I don't know how many critters it's put down, but it has been a lot, the last being a skunk at 220 yards two weeks ago. Optic is a Burris XTR II, and I have zero complaints about it. Ammo is older 64gr Speer GD. Bottom rifle is a newer DDM4V7 with Pulsar XQ38 that I started my hog hunting with. This is a great lightweight (for thermal) setup that let's me check the yard for critters quickly. The M&P 40 that looks beat to shit is my carry everywhere pistol that I just took off for the photo. Ive killed a cottonmouth and three armadillos in the last week with it. The pistol on the right is a SIG P239 in 9mm that is hidden in the living room for quick access by the wife should I be in a field or something.

20210628_111918.jpg

To some, this probably seems excessive, and maybe it is. Living as far out as we do and with livestock and poultry, I'm always having to watch out for coyotes, bobcats, venomous snakes etc... It naturally carries over to HD against intruders. Ive found that it is easier to put a gun back into a safe than it is to scramble to get one out.

I'm probably one or two comments from becoming the next Gecko45, so I'll shut up now.

The weapon of choice all depends on the location of where you live along with your known ability to use said weapon under stress.
For MOST people that live in a heavy populated area or have many kids or people in surrounding rooms and don't want stray bullets penetrating walls, the ONLY obvious choice is a short barreled shotgun loaded with bird shot, IF any of you have seen what bird shot does at close range to a person then you know it destroys anything unless they are wearing armor, but the face won't be armored. LOL
There are choices and those ALL depend on your surroundings and skill level and desire to only shoot the target in question.

Hi,

Why does everyone think birdshot will not penetrate interior home walls??
It actually goes through about 8 sheets of half inch sheetrock spaced 1 foot apart when shooter is 5-8 feet away.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: MJF
Hi,

It actually goes through about 8 sheets of half inch sheetrock spaced 1 foot apart when shooter is 5-8 feet away.

Sincerely,
Theis
I know it penetrates walls, LOL What I am saying is bird shot slows down faster than MOST any other type of shot. NOTHING is totally safe on the other side of the wall but that is the least deadly for whomever might be on the other side, YUP, I have done the tests as well along with the training.

AR. 556.

See the Clint Smith video.

He is a treasure of information and knows a lot of stuff.

go SBR with a can if possible. So much nicer in a building and the dark.

@THEIS - correct. As I sit here with my g19 on. ;) But I am kinda weird.....

I always think middle of the night, and that tool is by the bed and doesn't move. And yes, I have a G19 on at my work desk during the week too...
Hell, I shower with that thing on.
My wife has an identical g19 in every room. Even 1 on the back of each toilet. Personally I may just start drinking 24/7 so I always have a glass to throw at them.

Reactions: powdahound76
I absolutely agree with @THEIS re watchdogs. However, if done correctly, they can be you best early notification. There is only one way onto our property. With our dogs and the way that the entrance to the property is situated, I'd venture to say the odds are next to zero of anyone remotely getting close to the house without a chorus of loud barking (followed likely by human screaming in pain). They patrol 24/7, sleeping within view of everything. I'd go so far as to say I'd feel bad for the poor bastard who tried to test them.
DOGS.png

Reactions: Maxwell and I-R-me
The wolfhound is about 7 feet tall standing up

IMG_0882.JPG
If they are wearing glasses, I get them with a poison dart. Glad I don't take them boating with me....

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
Many believe in the mythological shotgun, which destroys everything except drywall.

I live alone, i have a saiga 12 with winchester super x 3 inch slugs. I got lucky and got one that works too....

Hi,

Possibly........IF I had 10 dollars for every homeowner over the past 20 years of dealing with K9s that said that and their dogs ability backed up what the owner thinks it is; I would not have enough to pay my electric bill this month.

Sincerely,
Theis
My dogs open the door for the bad guy in hopes of getting a treat. They will then show them to anything of value......once again in hopes of getting a treat. I got some sorry dogs. I feel better knowing I wouldn’t have contributed to your electric bill.

In all seriousness, a .300 BO, particularly with subsonic rounds will stop a bad guy while not going through 3 neighbors’ brick walls.
I cant for the life of me find any reason to ever build a 300 Body Odor.
I know a lot of peeps love them but it has no sway over me i will take full power more effective rounds every time.
If i mean to kill i want stopping power not watered down mall ninja shit.

Glock 21 sf on my night stand
Glock 34 on the wife’s night stand
Cz p10c in my master bathroom
Rem 870’s in guest rooms and my office
Glock 19 in the living room and kitchen
Go bag w/ 2 cheap ar’s and 60 30 round mags in the garage…

2 is one and one is none, so…