• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question about Imperial Sizing Wax

nauta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2012
CT
I just tried Imperial the other day and it made powder stick to the insides of the necks. First, on a single stage press I tried applying it with my fingers and running my finger over the opening to get a little inside the neck. Then with a Hornady LNL AP I tried the ziploc bag method that I've read about. Both methods resulted in a lot of powder stuck around the inside of the case necks. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I shot some of the bullets yesterday it doesn't seem to be affecting accuracy at all.

Re: Question about Imperial Sizing Wax

Powder will stick to anything sticky. A glob of Imperial inside a neck is a blob of sticky. Ditto anyother case lube I've ever used but the wax does no appearant harm to powder.

Imperial is some sticky snotty slippery stuff and that makes it good for resizing lube if you need alot of seating force to reshape your brass in the die but if your die fits your cases pretty close you may be able to get by using Ballistol for a case lube and spray some on a piece of rag or paper towel and rub on a thin coat. If your using an expander ball see if you can get by without it if using a bolt gun and being careful with your brass most folks do away with it depending on your shooting discipline etc and you won't need to get lube inside the neck then.
Or if you use the SS media you can just tumble the brass for a few minutes after sizing and that will remove whatever lube you are using in short order.

Use a q-tip to apply to inside neck. The beauty of Imperial is that you need very little. You may be using too much. I just take my index and middle fingers of my left hand and just touch the wax. Then rub my thumb index and middle together and simply pick up a case and roll it and qtip inside case mouth on its journey to the press. It does not take any more time to pick up a case and do it this way. If you have an auto case feeder then spraying may save you time but not if you have to single load a case in a press.

Use alcohol and a paper towel wrapped on an apropriate sized drill bit to remove excess lube from inside neck. Or tumble the suckers in some clean corn cob for 10 minutes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nauta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just tried Imperial the other day and it made powder stick to the insides of the necks. First, on a single stage press I tried applying it with my fingers and running my finger over the opening to get a little inside the neck. Then with a Hornady LNL AP I tried the ziploc bag method that I've read about. Both methods resulted in a lot of powder stuck around the inside of the case necks. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I shot some of the bullets yesterday it doesn't seem to be affecting accuracy at all. </div></div>

You're supposed to use a dry lube, like mica powder on the inside of the necks, or something like Hornady's OneShot, which is a dry spray on film lube.

Since I, like others, remove my expander ball when resizing bolt gun brass, I don't have to worry about lubing the inside of the necks, 'cause there's nothing there to drag on the insides of those necks.

Chris

I use a qtip to sparingly (you don't need much) apply Imperial to inside neck before sizing, then a dry qtip to clean well before dumping powder in the case. Never had any problems doing it this way.

As far as imperial goes, I take all my brass and put it into a shoebox sized plastic container. I put imperial on my hands and mix around the brass. I add wax as needed. When there is ample lube on each case, I resize them all and then throw them into the tumbler.

Thanks for all of the input. I have my LNL AP throwing a pretty consistent 42.0 grains of 8208 so it looks like removing the expander ball would be my best choice for maintaining the efficiency of the progressive press.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nauta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...it looks like removing the expander ball would be my best choice for maintaining the efficiency of the progressive press. </div></div>
The expander ball is the enemy of accuracy. Get it gone. Use some kind of bushing or Lee collet die. I use Imperial S.D.W. Like armorpl8chikn I just touch it and rub the case (not on the inside of the neck), never had a problem. Of course, I use a single stage press.