• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Question about "Patriots" book

onethousandmeters

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2013
I just finished reading the book "Patriots" by Rawles. This is the newest edition, if it matters (Amazon showed there was an older one too). Anyways, while it was a good story, there was one section titles "Shanks Mare" - the story behind Doug Carlton and how he came to arrive at retreat. The book talks about his pack, and what his contents were, and my question is: Is that realistic? Meaning, could someone really make it traveling long-term like that as it was described by Rawles? Most of the other parts of the book did seem, at least, believable, but I've spent a fair bit of time out in the woods, and I'm not sure how long I could go (like Doug did, for over a year), just 'rambling' on cross country? I know people have done the AT, but that is far different, IMO, as there are always commercial resupply points (aka towns) every so many miles. The book has Carlton going in the bush for a fairly extended time. I'm just curious of others here who are vastly more adept outdoors think that is realistic / possible?

There's plenty of backpackers/hikers that get lost in the woods, so I would say that it's really not possible in that sense. I'm not being snide with my answer, and I have to tell you that Killswitch isn't either.

People when talking about ruckmarching for an extended distance in a survivalist sense, seem to forget about their own stamina. Not many people can do 20 miles with 60 pounds, some not even with 30, and others could be blown over with a gentle breeze just walking that without any weight. Eventually it will come to a point were you start throwing stuff away if you don't need it, and your endurance will be shot to to shit. This will happen sooner, or later, but it will happen eventually.

Here is a rough mathematical equation for you...

You will need a gallon of water per person per day. A pint is equal to a pound the world around, so a gallon of water will equal to around 8 pounds.

10 gallons of water will let you live at a good hydration level for 10 days, but will weigh 80 pounds.

Good luck.

Okay. In the book, the guy "foraged" more or less by shooting game, and purifying water as he found it, but at least those with vastly more experience than me feel it's not realistic. That being said, it does make my planning somewhat more simplified. Meaning, to not even plan for such an eventuality.

When it comes to surviving I'm sure you are capable of more than you know... I read that book a few years ago. Great eye opener.

You can check out the authors website/blog at: SurvivalBlog.com

He has 2 other fiction books out that add to the story/fill in details. Mostly its a how to manual wrapped in a story. He is not a great storyteller in my opinion (FWIW), but great on the how to stuff.

He also has a non fiction about how to survive when the SHTF (S**t hits the fan).

Robie

I read his book "Survivors" too, and like you said, it IS packed with a lot of details as well. I didn't find the story line to be as strong as in Patriots (either edition), so not sure about his book "Expatriots" or "Founders". His non-fiction book about surviving was okay for the price.

Covering 10 miles a day for a year, sure its possible if one has good skills and the drive to survive. It may not be something everybody is capable of, but some are.

Interesting. I'd like to meet people like that and talk to them about their skill-set to be able to do something like that. Not saying that I'd ever want to try, but I would find them quite fascinating to talk to.