• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question about to crimp or not.

ElKellym

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2013
I have Hornady 338LM and 30-06 dies that say they have the built in crimp in them

I have the RCBS black set of 223/556 SB T/C that say they have the crimp built in them

I also have 5 other sets of RCBS that are standard die sets.

Should I look for crimp dies for the hornady or is what they say good enough? I am guessing on the others I should buy crimp dies correct?

if you got 100 replies they would go 10 to 1 against crimping - in the end make your own choice

No, unless you are using a bullet with a cannalure and seating that cannalure to the edge of the brass you can damage your dies and bullets using the crimping tool on the seating die.

The only die that can crimp, to my knowledge, a non cannalure bullet is the Lee factory crimp die.

And if your loading match ammo crimping is generally a no no

Don't even need to crimp on gas guns, so long as you've got sufficient neck tension. If you do crimp (for some bizarre reason, like the loads seem too accurate), then at least you make sure you're doing it in a separate operation, NOT seating and crimping in the same stroke. Nothing good down that road.

I like a light touch with a redding taper crimp die, it has improved my accuracy and I believe it does so by uniforming the neck tension.... but I do not spend time with turning necks, using various bushings for neck sizing and other serious match prep that really can tighten groups... 4 inch groups at 500 yards or 2 inch groups, you're still dead.

Don't even need to crimp on gas guns, so long as you've got sufficient neck tension. If you do crimp (for some bizarre reason, like the loads seem too accurate), then at least you make sure you're doing it in a separate operation, NOT seating and crimping in the same stroke. Nothing good down that road.
Yup, like kev said! I only crimp stuff that would go in a tubular magazine or for revolvers, heavy recoiling revolvers.