• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for guys who run long barreled 308

steeltex

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2009
ND
Hey guys. New to the site, been lurking around here for awhile and was always able to find answers to my questions, but now I'm stumped. when it comes to barrels that are in the 30-32 inch range and you run 155 gr bullets, Which powder gives the most speed out of it.H4895 or Varget. I know H4895 gives better velocities when dealing with shorter barrels, but is a 32 inch barrel to long for this faster burning powder and varget be the better choice to get the most speed of it. Thanks for any help

Oh, and just so that I didn't show up to this party empty handed, I'll give you my current load info, if any one is interested. 155 amax in Remington brass. 45 grs of H4895 . Ran through a stock 26" PSS that had the barreled and action trued. Gives me an avg of 2925 fps 15 feet from the muzzle and 1/2 to 5/8 groups.

Re: Question for guys who run long barreled 308

My father in law has a FT/R 30" tube. Unfortunately he hasn't loaded for it yet. I'll bet 6mm br forum or Benchrest Cental has lot's of info for those long barrels.

I run a 32+ inch .308 but I don't use the 155gr bullet; I use a different one. I like Varget just fine for the job, it gives me great velocity; about 250FPS faster than the published loads for that bullet weight in 24 inch barrels.

I'd be interested, as well. I have a Barnard with a 32" Bartlein on order. Want to shoot the new 155 Palma SMK with Varget.

AG in NC