• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question for Marines

Maser

Trump 2024
Minuteman
  • May 17, 2006
    /pol/
    www.youtube.com
    So I was watching an episode of Pawn Stars earlier and a Civil War era sabre was brought in and had a non-functional edge. Right away I think of the sabres that Marines have when they are in their ceremonial outfits. I was wondering if they are the real thing. Meaning are they tempered steel with a functional edge, or are they just a simple prop to go with the outfit? I figured this would be a good forum to ask this question.

Re: Question for Marines

Cavalry sabres generaly are not sharpened but can be depending on the battle. They are used to provide blunt force trauma and break bones. The last thing you want to do is ride past your target and leave your sabre behind because it is stuck in their torso where a broken clavical or skull would have sufficed.

I would say a blunted sabre has a "functional" edge.

I haven't logged in for months but this (Maser) can't really be happening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shark0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I would say a blunted sabre has a "functional" edge. </div></div>

True, but in all the talks I've been involved in on the topics of swords and daggers, a blunted edge is usually reffered to as "non-functional". Whereas a sharpened edge is "functional".

Anyways, I'll rephrase my question then. Do the sabres that Marines carry with their ceremonial outfits have a blunt edge or sharp edge?

On the topic of Cavalry/Dragoon Sabres- as Shark stated- a "blunt" edge has significant impact when galloping on a horse- sharpening was left to the individual preference. Cavalrymen also used their spurs as weapons to bash in the heads of infantry troops. Jangly pig sticker spurs were not commonly used and are generally unworn at unit functions except as Spur holder cadre on a spur ride if the individual chooses. Currently awarded ceremonial spurs are of the Prince of Wales rowel type and are worn generally Rowel up if single and Rowel down if married or taken otherwise. Silver generally for a "spur ride" and gold for combat. Holder's of both generally value their Spur Ride spurs more as it's a hard course to complete and demonstrated both tactical and technical knowledge as well as perseverance. 1st Cav Division blows nuts and has ruined all Cav traditions by letting females on Spur rides.
    Modern US Army personnel are not awarded Sabres except at an officer level generally. For an enlisted man to be presented with a Sabre is a high honor in the Army Cavalry community.

Maser to answer your question the ones I used while i was in the Marines had a blunt edge... Now Alot off different companies make the NCO and Officer swords some are made of better quality metals some are junk..ther are sharp at the tip though trust me ive caught one to the face a few times during sword drill. Hopefully this answered your question and got the topic on track.

Thanks for the added info cavscout and yeah Militant, my question got answered. I knew this would be the best place to ask that question. Thanks again.
    smile.gif

My USMC NCO Saber (a 'real one', engraved on both sides) has a 'factory edge' that isn't honed. While it might not cut paper, per se, as a Saber, its edge is very functional. A saber is not wielded as a slicing implement like a Katana, but as a hacking, chopping instrument, rather more like a slender axe for use on horseback, with the added utiliity of a stabbing implement. I keep mine alongside the bed, for moments of doubt and heightened attention. Rather more to the point, as it were...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I was watching an episode of <span style="color: #FF0000">Pawn Wars</span> earlier ...</div></div>
    That'd be <span style="color: #FF0000">Pawn Stars</span> eventually.
    No need to modify the TV show title, to fit it to a firearm forum
    grin.gif

Mine's real, and pretty dull with the exception of the point. Plenty of young hard-chargers find out how sharp the point can be during sword manual at the Cpls and Sgts courses.

Maser you should enlist in the Military, ASAP, I bet you mama needs a break.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler1833</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine's real, and pretty dull with the exception of the point. Plenty of young hard-chargers find out how sharp the point can be during sword manual at the Cpls and Sgts courses. </div></div>

no shit.... lmao...

As a seasoned Revolutionary War and War of Northern Aggression historian and reenactor , sabres as weapons are best sharpened . Dress swords , while generally made of quailty steel , are usually not deployed as weapons and are left dull . Rev War cavalry and dragoons did much of their killing from horseback , with sharpened edges . Civil War sabers were (normally) issued dull , and sharpened by the trooper . The area just above the guard was usually not sharpened , for parrying enemy blows ... The sword shown in 'Pawn Stars' was actually an 1840 Artillery Sword , issued to mounted artillery , although there are records of them being re-issued to mounted troops because of shortages ... Axis and Japanese officers and soldiers carried swords and were trained to fight with them . Amercan WWII TMs illustrate defenses against them ...

interesting info dragoon, and it ties in rather well with basic edged tool usage of the day, knives and such were sold dull, as the owner could then put on whatever edge he felt was best needed. sharpening knives was a basic skill that every male would have learned.

You need to earn your Blood Stripes before I'll answer,about a USMC NCO Sword

I guess you know why US Marines are called 'leathernecks'? During the American Revolution , marines were stationed on ships to defend against the enemy (acting as sharpshooters from the fighting tops, and in boarding parties ) , and to keep the sailors in line . They wore a heavy leather neck-stock to protect against cutlass blows ...

When I went to the Staff NCO Academy, one week before graduation on of the course attendees got his wrist broken and a pretty good gash when two guys were trying to practice their wanna be lightsaber skills. It was pretty funny till somebody got hurt.