• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question for The ELR Guys...

G

Im Not to familar with the 338 Lapua Im Looking to reach out to a mile. My first thought was .50 BMG what are your opinions/experiences with the .338 Lapua as opposed to the .50 cal ammunitions?

Re: Question for The ELR Guys...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the general consensus seems to be that .338LM is good out to a mile. .50BMG has its issues, but both have plenty components available and few things are scarce. It's less of an investment compared to .375/408 and .408CT. Handloading .50BMG tends to require more specialized tools whereas if you're already loading .308, you can use much of the same tools on your .338LM. .338LM rifles can also be built smaller and lighter overall compared to .50BMG.

When I wanted to shoot ELR, I looked at the .50, but then determined that I didn't want to haul around all that weight that comes with the .50. So I had a .338 built.

I had a .338/.300 RUM or .338 EDGE built instead of going with the Lapua. I can launch a 300 gr Sierra Match King past 2000 yards before it goes sub-sonic. And the rifle is under the maximum legal weight limit for hunting in my State.

Thanx for the helpful input guys its nice to get good input with out a bunch of know it all harping. So not familar with .338 Edge.

I allmost went 50 but went 338 LM instead. If you can hit it with a 50 most likely you can hit it with a 338.

338LM with 300 SMK's will actually have a bit better trajectory than the 50 cal shooting 750 grain AMAX bullets.

I would get the 338LM, but if you really wanted the very best performance possible at 1 mile then I would use the 375CT.

thanks

NIck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rem700308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanx for the helpful input guys its nice to get good input with out a bunch of know it all harping. So not familar with .338 Edge. </div></div>

.338 EDGE is a .300 RUM necked up to .338. It's basically a twin to the .338 Lapua, ballistically. There's no fire forming of the cases, you just neck it up, load and shoot. My current load launches the 300 gr SMK at 2950 fps. I can get it to go faster, but this load gives me 1/4 to 1/2 moa.

I went with this round over the Lapua for a variety of reasons, one being that I can not find Lapua anything in my neck of the woods.

check prices at midway usa, but last I checked 338LM was a lot cheaper to load than the 50 cal.

In fact, while the price of loading .338LM will be a bit of sticker shock, compared to 375/408, 408 and .50BMG, it's the lesser of many evils. Sure, it's not at .308 levels, but you're far from the $5/round range you find in the other extreme range cartridges.

the 50 and the 338LM both do fine to a mile. with the high BC stuff the 50 has to offer most folks are getting 1900 and sometimes more while supersonic. i rarely hear of someone not pulling a mile supersonic.

as for the reloading costs, it depends on a lot of procurement costs, but the 338 is cheaper generally.

just an FYI. supersonic flight isn't the deal breaker. after the bullet passes through transonic flight it can be remain accurate through subsonic flight.

also, with proper reloading practices and boreriders, the 50 can outlive the 338LM in terms of barrel life. this comparison is always relative, but some folks were visiting with me the other day that have a windrunner stick with over 5k on it using high BC boreriders over H50BMG and CCI blues. i wish i could remember the velocity, but it was supersonic to 1800.

although i've shot quite a few, i've never owned a 338LM, i'm interested in picking one up. for now, my 300WM is going to have to work, as i sold my windrunner in 50. i have interest in a 408CT windrunner though. i've considered buying the 338LM barrel for it and running it as a switch barrel rig.

i can tell you if you are figuring the 50 will play out like the 30-06 case on roids it was conceived from, you can think again. the 50 is a different animal. the supplies and learning curve can be costly. in that regard the 338LM certainly has the 50 beat.

Hey thsnks again guys been looking into these calibers ill let ya know what I decide on and then choose a rifle...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis Corkern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOW I have "replaced" the 408 with the 375/408. It outperforms in all my criteria categories.

Thanks--Louis Corkern </div></div>

Louis

What bc are you getting out of you 375 solids?

d-a

I thought about the .338LM but am currently shooting a 7mmSTW that can "plink" a three foot metal plate at a mile pretty consistently. If you have an exterior ballistics program, look at the 7mm JLK180gr VLD or the 7mm Berger 180gr at 3000fps. It is still supersonic at 1 mile (good thing). Compare that to the .338LM. The numbers I am seeing show more energy with the .338LM but the accuracy/supersonic velocity is about the same. Bottom line in my book, the 7mmSTW is a lot cheaper to accurately get to a mile. YMMV (Your mileage may vary)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thelubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about the .338LM but am currently shooting a 7mmSTW that can "plink" a three foot metal plate at a mile pretty consistently. If you have an exterior ballistics program, look at the 7mm JLK180gr VLD or the 7mm Berger 180gr at 3000fps. It is still supersonic at 1 mile (good thing). Compare that to the .338LM. The numbers I am seeing show more energy with the .338LM but the accuracy/supersonic velocity is about the same. Bottom line in my book, the 7mmSTW is a lot cheaper to accurately get to a mile. YMMV (Your mileage may vary) </div></div>

if you running the 180's at 3000 out of the stw you are not pushing it at all. most are getting about that out of the WSM case.

d-a

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis Corkern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">d-a,

With the old LRBT 350 grain projos that have a published BC of 1.02 I am having to manipulate my program to:

At 3028fps, 90F ambient and bullet temps, +1200sea level, 3" scope height. I can leave all these and other variables the same and plug in the 1.02 BC and be off from computer data to point of impact data. But bring my BC to 1.18 and computer to impact data same.

Louis the 338-408 would interest you. same b.c as published LRB's but pushed @ 3600 with the lm 105's out of a 37 inch or longer pipe

d-a

Looked at different choices in ELR rifles have settled on the 338 edge, 300rum case opened to a 338 bullet. Have seen many different rifles shoot at over a mile the 408 is hard to beat
but as cost is an issue like other things looking at the 338
Edge was a smart choice buying brass and bullets as cost effective move on my part as well greater barrel life....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nomad 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Looked at different choices in ELR rifles have settled on the 338 edge, 300rum case opened to a 338 bullet. Have seen many different rifles shoot at over a mile the 408 is hard to beat
but as cost is an issue like other things looking at the 338
Edge was a smart choice buying brass and bullets as cost effective move on my part as well greater barrel life.... </div></div>

I know what you mean, I have stepped back down from the 408 case to the 338 edge, and now going for a 7wsm.

d-a

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d-a</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thelubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about the .338LM but am currently shooting a 7mmSTW that can "plink" a three foot metal plate at a mile pretty consistently. If you have an exterior ballistics program, look at the 7mm JLK180gr VLD or the 7mm Berger 180gr at 3000fps. It is still supersonic at 1 mile (good thing). Compare that to the .338LM. The numbers I am seeing show more energy with the .338LM but the accuracy/supersonic velocity is about the same. Bottom line in my book, the 7mmSTW is a lot cheaper to accurately get to a mile. YMMV (Your mileage may vary) </div></div>

if you running the 180's at 3000 out of the stw you are not pushing it at all. most are getting about that out of the WSM case.

d-a </div></div>

Actually, I am only getting 2940fps with 180gr Bergers and JLK180's using 74.0gr Retumbo in my 7mmSTW. I am getting flattened primers at this load. If you could tell me how to get 3000+fps out of my 7mmSTW without pressure signs, I would be extremely grateful. I'm using Quickload v 3.2 to compute max pressures and velocities. It has been very accurate. With 74.0gr Retumbo, I am around 54,200psi when I get flattened primers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thelubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d-a</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thelubiaks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought about the .338LM but am currently shooting a 7mmSTW that can "plink" a three foot metal plate at a mile pretty consistently. If you have an exterior ballistics program, look at the 7mm JLK180gr VLD or the 7mm Berger 180gr at 3000fps. It is still supersonic at 1 mile (good thing). Compare that to the .338LM. The numbers I am seeing show more energy with the .338LM but the accuracy/supersonic velocity is about the same. Bottom line in my book, the 7mmSTW is a lot cheaper to accurately get to a mile. YMMV (Your mileage may vary) </div></div>

d-a </div></div>

Actually, I am only getting 2940fps with 180gr Bergers and JLK180's using 74.0gr Retumbo in my 7mmSTW. I am getting flattened primers at this load. If you could tell me how to get 3000+fps out of my 7mmSTW without pressure signs, I would be extremely grateful. I'm using Quickload v 3.2 to compute max pressures and velocities. It has been very accurate. With 74.0gr Retumbo, I am around 54,200psi when I get flattened primers. </div></div>

I dont know any loads for your STW, I just know what several reputable people are getting from there 7 WSM's with the 180's with around 10 less grains capacity. I do know that the sammi max pressure is 10k less for the STW than the 7WSM at 54k for the STW .

d-a

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis Corkern</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d-a</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Louis Corkern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">d-a,

With the old LRBT 350 grain projos that have a published BC of 1.02 I am having to manipulate my program to:

At 3028fps, 90F ambient and bullet temps, +1200sea level, 3" scope height. I can leave all these and other variables the same and plug in the 1.02 BC and be off from computer data to point of impact data. But bring my BC to 1.18 and computer to impact data same.

Louis the 338-408 would interest you. same b.c as published LRB's but pushed @ 3600 with the lm 105's out of a 37 inch or longer pipe

d-a</div></div>

D-A,

I looked at the 338-408 for some time but drew conclussion based on what I need that them 37"+ tubes were not what I personnaly wanted. I like the 29".

Louis

I don't think you would loose 600 fps with 8 inches less barrel but you defiantly would have longer barrel life.

d-a

id definately opt for vjj's patented .50 badass chambering instead. it runs me .0005moa out to 3 miles all day long if i do my part with my personal handloads. and its way more O.A.F. than all that cheytac assgrabbery.

Last edited:
You just replied to a seven year old thread; that may be a record necropost

the .50 BA was in development in 2007, so he was waiting to reply to this thread till the caliber proved to assfuck all your gay elr shitloads

I went with the .338 Lapua Magnum for ELR. I shoot a mile + with mine here in the southern Nevada desert. I started with the Savage 110 BA .338 LM. A
very good factory rifle for shooting this distance. I then had Mark Gordon, owner of Short Action Customs, build my current .338 Lapua Magnum.

The other very important component for shooting at this distance is optics. You'll need something with very clear glass and has enough elevation in the turret
to get you out there. What also helps in elevation is having a base with a cant. I had Cameron Murphy build me a titanium rail with a 45 MOA cant. That,
along with the NF ATACR optics gives me more than enough to shoot 1760 and out.

Good luck on your decision.

It's been seven years, so I would expect he's made a decision by now. Hopefully he'll chime in ;)