• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question of the Day - WHY Zero at 100yards

I, literally, don't post on Benchrest anymore because I told one of the kingpins on the site that bullets going to sleep was bullshit. All those stupid, non-marksmen, fuggers dog piled me and said I should shut up because he knew what he was talking about and I didn't have enough posts to disagree with him. I linked to the Litz test proving stability at the muzzle deteriorated at range, and they spent the next five pages trying to internet-disprove his findings. No need to get any more information or advice from people that stupid and that unwilling to embrace the truth even if it goes against their gun mythos.

Their reloading tips are good, but they know nothing about shooting or marksmanship whatsoever. You may as well go on some other non-shooting fud chatroom for information/advice.
Reminds me of Accurate shooter forum boss dickhead. Proved him wrong on a topic and he silenced the opposition by banning me. Tells the forum I was encouraging unsafe practices and a safety risk...He hated me so much he banned my IP address so I couldn't even lurk. Takes a real man to admit when he is wrong. He's a pathetic cunt.

Reactions: Fig
Can you recommend a scope and mound combination that will allow me to zero at that range with my [insert very specific rifle setup] shooting [insert brand and caliber of ammo]? Best i can get for under $100. thx
you 100% need a Quigley Ford scope

• Haha
Reactions: lash
1686068168929.jpeg

• Haha
Can you recommend a scope and mound combination that will allow me to zero at that range with my [insert very specific rifle setup] shooting [insert brand and caliber of ammo]? Best i can get for under $100. thx
There’s a great indian mound just outside the levy in Monroe, Louisiana. Used to be a gathering place but it is now private property, but well maintained and no posted signs. Still, I think putting your new scope and rifle on top of the mound might be a bit disconcerting to the people living in very close proximity. (Most of which are very high scale homes, but being built on the wrong side of the levy, does not show a large quantity of intelligence in both the builders and owners….since, its not if it might flood in Louisiana, its if it might Not Flood.) (especially the Ouachita river which floods just about every year.

That said, there is always the World Heritage site (Poverty Point) at Epps Louisiana. Not so sure how those park rangers would feel about your shooting on top of the bird mound. Finally there is Watson Brake. They have some mounds there, but it is very private and very posted which is a real shame and in my mind, is one of the very few good places where we should use imminent domain. It truly is a site worth preserving, studying and letting the public share

Watson Brake

Watson Brake is the oldest known earthwork mound complex in North America

077FF149-B009-44E0-85F8-A70370743CB5.jpeg

F60F0C59-2B91-4AF4-A629-8142AD6AD8C4.png

Artists conception of the original earthworks.

I want to scope out Serpent Mound in Ohio this summer.

oooooohhhh

Haven’t you guys heard that for the first 100yards the bullets are in a state of over rpm causing the linden frost effect in a ring vortex state. Takes 199yrds to slow in rpm and to cool off enough to get out of rvs

• Haha
He told me the same thing. Mike Sexton. He runs the 1 mile shoot at Clinton House Plantation in SC. Awesome shoot to do. They do it once month so you can try to hit a mile. He is a nice guy and a very high level pro shooter. I still like to zero at 100 simply due to that is how we do so many of our calculations like MOA etc. I know some people that zero at 200 and from what I can tell either is fine.

Mike is taking an effect and deducing his own version of why the trend is what it is. He is no more correct than the guy talking about his 'linden frost effect' lol. 100yd zero applies to all, and any distance zero is fine for shooters who understand why they do it - its all the same damn thing in the end, the barrel angle with respect to POA.

Ive shot smaller groups at 200 than 100, now the trend is changing for me and they are equivalent - what good is the more accurate group if your scope only resolves to 0.1mRad? I believe its a fundamentals topic. Saying the bullet get MORE stable from 100-200yd downrange is like saying the bullet speeds up from x to y...once its out the barrel the bullet doesn't self stabilize, it can only destabilize (entropy). my opinion for now.

I think the effect is fundamentals based.

My reason for 100 is that I shoot a few different ammo types and they're all the sameish at 100 and start to differ in drop from there. As long as my dopes are right, I can shoot 147, 168 and 175 without adjusting my base zero. Also, I'm not in combat, this is strictly range use philosophy.

I believe it's possible to get smaller angular groups when shooting at a 200 yard target vs 100 yard target

But...

I think most of it is either parallax error or shooter error

Mike is likely similar to someone I took a class with before... he's likely a shooter... some guys can shoot, some guys can calculate, and some guys can build.
Question either the shooter, ballistician, or gunsmith based off which information you need to clarify. Understand that everyone (usually) means well, but may not have the other areas of expertise to actually understand the function behind things.

Of the three the shooter may be able to make more accurate shots in less time than the ballistician or the smith... but when I want to know what lead angle and neck clearance effects.... I'm calling the Smith. When I want to understand bullet yaw and external ballistics... I'm calling the ballistician.