• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on my equipment choices

flemgunner

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
La.
So Im a newbie to all this and have been hitting the search tool and the FAQ's and have come up with this as my starting basis for long range shooting.
Remington 700 SPS (already have)
Vortex viper pst 4-16x50
EGW 20 MOA Base w/millet rings
AICS 2.0 or Mcree TMAG stock
Bipod will depend on stock choice
So does what I have here look like a workable group?
Im mostly a machine gun guy (Thats my day job, building for a SOT) but would like to get into "one round hits" as opposed to "spray the hell out of everything till its all dead".
I realize the stock is a personal preference thing but as Im not likely to get to hold either one before I buy is there anything yall can say to sway me one way or the other?

Re: Question on my equipment choices

Shoot what you have until you can afford better. Buy once, cry once holds alot of weight. By that time you will hopefully have made friends with guys that have the stuff you start to like. Try it out and make decisions from experiance.

Fill out your profile and maybe guys in your area can help get your hands on diff equipment.

Just a thought .... How many kills did Hathcock have with basicly a modified hunting rifle..... Just because you don,t have the latest -greatest Tacticool does not mean your set will not give you hits and decent groups a few hundred thousand deer fall ever year to less than match equipment

Just an echo of what powell said..

I am in a similar boat and have been convinced by some serious shooters that cool don't make the target any more dead... just a thought

True I could go the easy route but Im kinda one of those "buy the best equipment you can afford" type guys. Its not so much about being tacticool as it is I want the equipment to work in its intended way.

+1 on the Viper (go w/ the FFP model)
For the bipod, contact Kasey at Accushot about the Atlas Bipod. Super lightweight materials and a design that is lightyears ahead of Harris.

Just a thought .... How many kills did Hathcock have with basicly a modified hunting rifle..... Just because you don,t have the latest -greatest Tacticool does not mean your set will not give you hits and decent groups a few hundred thousand deer fall ever year to less than match equipment

Just an echo of what powell said..

I am in a similar boat and have been convinced by some serious shooters that cool don't make the target any more dead... just a thought

Well said....

I forgot to mention that for not much more cash, you can prob pick up a used IOR 2.5-10 FFP and I think you'll find it quite suitable for your needs, not to mention a fixed parallax. Or they make a 3-18 as well...