• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question to my fellow LE Snipers ref the DPMS SASS

hrfunk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2010
Ohio
My PD is just about to trade a 20+ year old 700P on a new DPMS SASS in 7.62 mm. Since I'll be driving the new system, I am looking for input from anyone who has experience with it. I already know there are other rifles out there with good reputations for performance, but the DPMS fits into the tight PD budget so I am really looking for feedback on this particular product. Thanks in advance for any info.

HRF

Re: Question to my fellow LE Snipers ref the DPMS SASS

New trigger and stock will be mandatory.

The LRT-SASS does not suffer some of the other flaws that the base DPMS LR-308 rifles suffer.

The triggers are JP Enterprises units that are generally very good. The stock is the Magpul PRS which doesn't suit everyone, but is an excellent stock. You will just have to shoot it a while and see if it suits you and your department's needs. I don't much care for the palm-rest grip that comes standard on the rifle, but again...to each their own.

Really, the LRT-SASS is sub-MOA capable out of the box with quality ammo and a competent shooter. If you don't have much time on a semi-auto precision rifle, the best thing you can do is train on it for a while to get the basics of hold, trigger manipulation, etc. down pat.

I have a DPMS SASS with the pre magpul stock, Mine has a vltor stock. It is a capable 1 moa shooter with the JP trigger. I have taken mine to 600 meters with excellent results. Your largest concern would be with the magazines, Get a bunch of magpul Pmags for reliable feeding. Each gun is different, shoot different types of ammunition, and different lots of the same kind of ammunition to see what yours likes best. Mine likes the Hornady TAP and Federal Gold Medal Match.

Thanks for the responses. I have some familiarity with precision ARs, so I'm not a complete neophyte. The ones I own/shoot, however, are all chambered in 5.56mm. So this will be my first foray into the 7.62 AR universe. The palm rest I can take or leave. I don't see it as an advantage or a hinderance to the system. The Magpul PRS works pretty well for me, so I don't see that as a problem, although I do realize it adds some weight to the system. On the single SASS I have been able to handle (but not fire) the JP trigger seemed serviceable, if but not outstanding, and I haven't ruled out the possibility of replacing it with something else. Probably two of my biggest concerns are.the system's weight (you guys know the kind of places we have to get ourselves and our gear into sometimes), and the functional reliability. It seems like the info I have found from a few years ago mentioned reliability issues. The newer info doesn't mention them nearly as much. Anyone know if DPMS has changed magazine vendors, or made some other change to address these issues?

Thanks again,
HRF

As another poster mentioned, forget the DPMS factory magazines. The Magpul LR20 PMAGs are THE way to go with this weapons system. I got rid of all but one or two of my DPMS mags long ago because, for the most part, they all caused malfunctions of various degress which I have never experienced with the Magpul mags. Also, since your dept budget is probably like most and stretched pretty thin, the cost for the Magpul mags is roughly half of the cost of factory DPMS mags.

As for reliability issues, DPMS seems to have its ups and downs. I think that the attention paid to the SASS units seems to keep their quality/reliability above some of their cheaper factory offerings. Only trigger time and putting your dept's particular rifle through its paces will tell you if you have issues, but I wouldn't expect it to be problematic.

When I first got my sass upper the feedramps needed some polishing (if you've polished the feedramps on a pistol this was no different) and the bolt was tight. Took a couple cleanings and about 200 rounds to really smooth it out. You will have to run it really wet when you first get it, thin oil like CLP seemed to work the best for me. I now use tetra grease without problems however if you live in a really cold area stick to CLP.

If you're thinking since it's 18" it will be able to double as a patrol carbine think again as it is a heavy pig. With optics and a loaded mag it will be in the 15 lb neighborhood. This is not a rifle that is a joy to pack around.

Optics mounting = if your scope has long eye relief you will want a cantilevered mount (think larue, adm, bobro, etc). Otherwise high rings from your choice of manufacturer will work fine.

Pmags are the best however on the off chance your rifle doesn't like them it will like Cproducts. 44mag.com is where I get all my AR mags, MidwestPX is another good one. I have heard there are 25 round mags for dpms 308 but I wouldn't get them, 20 round are long enough.

223 has almost no recoil in comparison to a 308 so it will take some getting used to but in the end I think you'll be happy with it. I would put maybe 100-200 rounds of cheap 150fmj through it when you first get it to familiarize yourself with it and to check function after that use 168 or 175 Federal or 168 TAP.

If price is an issue consider the new DPMS MK12, it looks to offer the same functionality as the SASS (albeit without the PRS stock) for less money.

That's about all I can think of offhand.

FWIW I call mine "Money Pit."

edit: no I am not an LE sniper so can't really comment on that one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My PD is just about to trade a 20+ year old 700P on a new DPMS SASS in 7.62 mm. Since I'll be driving the new system, I am looking for input from anyone who has experience with it. I already know there are other rifles out there with good reputations for performance, but the DPMS fits into the tight PD budget so I am really looking for feedback on this particular product. Thanks in advance for any info.

HRF </div></div>

Why in the world would your department not just have the 700P rebarreled?

For the money they are going to spend on the DPMS they invest it in the bolt gun and have an extremely capable weapon.

I realize it is probably too late to talk your Dept <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">out of using</span></span> a Semi-auto as a <span style="font-style: italic">primary</span> sniper weapon.
I was a SWAT sniper for a small metro police Dept. for years. I was using the R 700 platform like most everybody else in .308.
I owned several AR-10's in multiple configurations at the time, so I offerred up a suggestion that our team look into purchasing at least <span style="font-style: italic">one</span> semi-auto in .308 Win.
We went to several SWAT comp's per year, and even hosted one in our city every year. A part of every comp is a sniper challenge or two. Typically we had nine visiting teams from elsewhere in California. Many of the teams that showed up had BIG budgets, with some very exotic firearms, and scope / night vision systems (Oakland, Stockton, L.A.). The two most common semi's were the HK SR-9's, and Armalite AR-10's & 15's (This was the early to mid 1990's) We constantly saw malfunctions on sniper drills from the semi's. I don't know the cause of all malfunctions, but damaged magazines, pressure on protruding magazines in awkward shooting positions, ammunition, and most of all were the semi's that were equipped to accept suppressors but were not dedicated specifically to being suppressed all of the time. Also the semi's were heavy compared to my R 700 BDL. So many of the sniper drills consisted of physically exerting the shooters, running, climbing, crawling, etc. prior to shooting. The extra weight of the semi's, and the hoards of ammo/ mags they thought they had to carry really showed.
The accuracy advantage the bolt actions had beat out the semi's every time. Since we were in a small city, with no building taller than 3 story's, the majority of our sniper shots, and as we practiced, were within 150 yards, but with high angle shots, and shots through glass. The background was always a problem, more so than a rural area encountered by most Sheriff's Dept.s. The short 20" bbl, lightweight bolt guns also made it easier for our snipers to squeeze into small spaces, climb, crawl, run and set up easier than semi's (Could shoot closer to walls, and have netting draped over ejection ports without malfunctioning the weapon). I <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> got outshot by a semi, and <span style="font-style: italic">never</span> took less than 2nd place in any sniper comp with my bolt gun.
In all of the training I did, I never saw where quickly, and precisely engaging <span style="text-decoration: underline">multiple</span> targets would be a reality. This is especially a realization when you think about how you <span style="font-style: italic">must</span> ensure the suspect is a threat before taking the shot. Your spotter can be doing this while you are cycling the bolt too, but after practice, and years behind the same weapon, I could cycle that bolt exceptionally quick. Military snipercraft is totally different as I am sure you would agree.
Weapons have changed dramatically in the past 15 years, accuracy and reliability have also improved in the semi auto's out there, but to this day I still feel bolt guns have the advantage over semi's for Law Enforcement, and the extra $ saved over the price of semi's could be better put to use in better optics and especially in night vision technology.
Be safe, and thank you for serving your community in a mostly unappreciated profession.

The suggestion about the Mk 12 is something to consider if you are concerned about weight. I have an SASS and the bull barrel, albeit fluted is heavy. The Mk 12 features a heavy contour barrel which would make packing it a lot easier. The Mk 12 is actually 2lbs lighter than the SASS and it runs a rifle length gas system which might help if you plan on running suppressed. Also the SASS gas block is necessary for the rifle, you can't use any .936 gas block because of the contour of the barrel, in other words adjustable gas blocks (other than custom ones) are out of the question.

I love my SASS and I would trust my life with it, but it is heavy, thats all I'm saying!

Based on the downhill slide of DPMS quality control since cerebus bought them, I would not recommend it.

Also, be aware that the DPMS 308's now have a unique upper reciever height, so you will be somewhat limited in furniture choice if you want a monolithic platform.

I would vote for putting the money into the bolt gun, semi's are not all they are cracked up to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would vote for putting the money into the bolt gun, semi's are not all they are cracked up to be.</div></div>

In your opinion, of course.

With the right person behind a semi-auto, it can do anything a bolt gun will, and do it faster.

That assumes you get one that DPMS hasn't turned the drunken dremel monkeys loose on.

There isn't anything wrong with gas guns, hell I own several. My point was that when lives depend on it (as in the LEO situation), do you really want something of dubious quality? IMHO, there is far less things on a bolt gun to worry about, and since the OP's dept. already owns a perfectly good platform, I think they would get more for their money.

As far as my earlier remarks go, I guess it would be more accurate to specify "cheap" gas guns are not all they are cracked up to be. I've played that game before (not with lives on the line, mind you) and I don't own cheapos anymore for a reason. No offense intended to DPMS owners, but they are sort of the "old gray mare" these days. Many love them, many feel they are past their prime. I'm in the latter group.

OP, if your dept. is set on a gas gun, then I really think you guys should look at something a bit nicer. I know that you are on a budget, but maybe you can get a higher end mfg to give you a LEO discount?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That assumes you get one that DPMS hasn't turned the drunken dremel monkeys loose on.

There isn't anything wrong with gas guns, hell I own several. My point was that when lives depend on it (as in the LEO situation), do you really want something of dubious quality? IMHO, there is far less things on a bolt gun to worry about, and since the OP's dept. already owns a perfectly good platform, I think they would get more for their money.

As far as my earlier remarks go, I guess it would be more accurate to specify "cheap" gas guns are not all they are cracked up to be. I've played that game before (not with lives on the line, mind you) and I don't own cheapos anymore for a reason. No offense intended to DPMS owners, but they are sort of the "old gray mare" these days. Many love them, many feel they are past their prime. I'm in the latter group.

OP, if your dept. is set on a gas gun, then I really think you guys should look at something a bit nicer. I know that you are on a budget, but maybe you can get a higher end mfg to give you a LEO discount?</div></div>

I agree 100% with everything you said. I nearly spent my cash on a DPMS-SASS in 7.62 but opted for a POF instead. After seeing and reading the horror stories others have had with their DPMS rifles, I'm glad I went with POF, even though I hadn't heard of POF at the time.

I've been telling others I know that they had better steer clear of purchasing anything from DPMS after what I've seen and read on this board.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the right person behind a semi-auto, it can do anything a bolt gun will, and do it faster. </div></div>

If you are shooting on a large target, then you can rip through a magazine pretty quick on a gasser.

If you are shooting precision targets (which is what we are all about) the speed advantage is quickly negated by skill.

Gas guns are heavy and require more maintenance (generally). I do have a AI that outweighs my AR10 and a 26" 700 that is svelte in comparison.

I went through this when we were looking at new Sniper Rifles for our department. I really can't see a LE problem than would require a gas gun. Now the one place I did think the AR10 type platform would work well is in approach to the FFP. History has shown that now and then the gunman goes mobile. If you turn the corner and there is Mr. Badguy I would rather fight it out with a AR10 than a 700. This negates the need to carry a defensive long gun.

If I was selecting a semi-auto Sniper Platform, it would be as light as I could get it and have a 16-18" barrel.

In our profession the word "budget" has no place in the conversation when discussing weapon systems IMHO.I was a LEO Sniper for 8 years in a dept that has about 900 sworn and we constantly had to argue about budget as well.We had to find different ways to get funds to purchase the absolute best weapons we could lay our hands on.Then we fought like hell to get even more.The bottom line is that DPMS is not a system I would bet yours,mine or anybodies life on.Call George at GAP see what they can do if you really want a 308 semi auto.
Just my .02 worth Stay Safe

I was kind of wondering about the "semi auto sniper" thing for a police department too. You could pretty much have 2 700's for the price of one DPMS SASS. For instance, you could rebarrel your current 700 with an 18" or something to make it light and handy and then purchase a longer barreled 700 in say 300 win mag if you think that you'll want/need something with more penetration.

"I was kind of wondering about the "semi auto sniper" thing for a police department too."

In the OP he said they were replacing a 20+ yr old 700P he didn't say they were replacing all bolt guns.

One team, simultaneous shots, engaging multiple targets in a real world hostage rescue.....Priceless!!

There are a bunch of other reasons but I think any LE Sniper who has ever laid on a rifle knows what they are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LimaBravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One team, simultaneous shots, engaging multiple targets in a real world hostage rescue.....Priceless!!

There are a bunch of other reasons but I think any LE Sniper who has ever laid on a rifle knows what they are. </div></div>

I am still not sure how any of the situations you mentioned above favor a gas gun. We practice hostage shots, command fire, simultaneous fire, and multiple target engagements regularly. We all run bolt guns.

I greatly appreciate all the input. To clear up a couple of points; we are not replacing all of our bolt guns, just one. Also, I am a fan of the 700P. I have been using one for the past 14 years, and it never ceases to perform tremendously (so long as I don't screw up). The gas gun is intended to add a new dimension to our capabilities (rapid follow-up shots, multiple suspects, etc). I've become quite accomplished at running a bolt over the years, but I still can't do it as quickly as a semi-auto rifle can cycle; nor can I do it without altering my shooting position to some degree. I would be just as happy wearing woodland camo (or a G-suit), running a bolt gun, and carrying a 1911 (with the Marine Corps Emblem engraved on the grips), but, the gas gun is all but purchased and I'll have to adapt to it.

As to the budget. I agree the department should acquire the best possible equipment. Unfortunately, it's the "possible" part that causes the problem. I think most of you will agree that, for some reason, sniper rifles and other equipment generates an odd reaction from the non-sniper community. City administrators who don't blink at the idea of dropping half a million dollars on a new fire truck will suddenly balk at $3-$5000 for a new sniper system. These are the same people who moan and groan about paying for ammunition that is just barely adequate for meeting the department's yearly training needs. I think this is a variation of the "it'll never happen here" syndrome.

Oops. Sorry, I got way off course with this rant. It's OK though. I just poured myself some medicine and it'll all seem better soon. Thanks again guys.

HRF

Don't get any bug spray near it's camo in the summer. Camo bubbles up and washes away if it gets on it...

Well if it makes you feel any better I am going through the same issues. Called dozens of dealers and company headquarters to get the best prices on a new sniper rifle to get asked one question by a city council member. "why do we have those things anyways"

I wish I could pour one with you lol but I am on call tonight so I better not

good luck with your new rifle. If you get a chance would love to see a report of how it works for yall. I too was priceing a SASS along with a POF for our team. DPMS had the better price even after a POF dealer offered to cut his price a good bit to try and help our agency out. I was trying to give them two options to look at even though we were only buying one rifle but I guess now it doesn't matter because the Chief got told no after I spoke before the City Manager and a few of the Council memebers but they did say maybe next year so we will see.

Stay safe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hrfunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... To clear up a couple of points; we are not replacing all of our bolt guns, just one. .
HRF </div></div>
Got it!
No need to reinvent the wheel. I always found that it is best to poll as many other agencies, or other fellow SWAT Sniper contacts you may have made in training, schools, comps, etc. What are <span style="font-style: italic">they</span> using, what's working, what <span style="font-style: italic">is not</span>.
You all are right about budgets and how the Gov't council people just don't understand. We had trouble getting the same ammo we used on call out to train with. They always tried to get us the cheaper 150 gr. "training" ammo to train with, but when we went out on callout we loaded up the 168 grain Federal Match. I had to know the "zero" for each bullet weight. How sad is that? I explained until I was frustrated blue, about ballistics and point of impact, velocity, penetration, etc, etc. It wasn't until I put it in <span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-weight: bold">dollar</span></span> terms. How much that $1.20 bullet would cost the City in a lawsuit because it came out in court that we did not train with the same ammo we shot the bad guy with. Those that have been in Officer involved shootings understand that the civil lawsuits that follow a shooting, bring up every training session, schools, equipment list, etc.. The shitbag's family who you just drilled through the eye for raping the Pope and shooting it up with patrol is just looking for deep pockets, that means the Sniper, spotter, Supervisor on duty, Admin, and Chief, and especially the City.
<span style="font-style: italic">"Oh little Johnny was just misunderstood. He taught Sunday school once, he was a giving person, blah, blah. He had a mental disease and the officer should have shot him in the leg, blah, blah, blah."</span>Sorry...rant off...

Was issued the Knights Armament version for a recent deployment to Afghanistan and had alot of trouble with the system being unreliable. First rifle would go full auto, second rifle's trigger system would lock up and shooter would have to toggle the safety back and forth to get it to reset, third would not shoot within 1MOA at 100yds with M118LR (total of three new rifles issued with problem out of the box) and the final rifle was tolerable but at this point I would not trust the system for shots in a crowded area or hostage situations, this was after the company recalled our lowers before we left the states. I would suggest looking into the Remington upgrades for the M24 (Suppresor,Magazine feed,collapsable stock, new rail systems) I carried a M24 that was used and had no accuracy or reliability problems despite having to use mixed lots of ammo at times. I would suggest if you do get the semi auto test the gun seriously and in as many rough situations possible before putting it in service. Hope this doesnt happen to you. Stay safe

I dont have any hands on with the SASS BUT I own a LR-308 which is its cousin.It has a 1:10 twist stainless bull barrel that has a flame in the center of a capital H. That is located on the bottom at the center of the barrel towards the barrel nut. I called DPMS and DPMS wont tell me who makes thier barrels. I've had some work done to it, a Magpul PRS Stock, Wilson Combat Single Stage TTU 4lbs trigger,Harris Bi-pod and am running a Burris Extreme Mildot with a lit ret. The first thing I did was listen to other Hide members here, and bought the 20 rnd P-Mag for 20 bucks via Brownells. I read the owners manual and did the whole shoot and clean thing as per DPMS. I have 300 rounds and not a single problem out of this fire arm I started by using the cheap bulk Ultra Max 168 gr. to get the 200 rnd count outta the way. At 260 rnds with 168 FGMM it was 1 moa at 100 yds. at 300 rnds it now shoots .5 moa and I have a close friend that is a former Marine Sniper and is also a LEO shoot the same grouping. I have not been able to shoot it since I put the 300 th round down range becasue I have had shoulder surgery and am recovering behind a desk in investigations lol.

DPMS gets their barrel blanks from multiple sources, so it is difficult to know it's origin.
They should not be trusted to do a competent job chambering or headspacing either.

If an auto-loader is desired, why a 308?
I've always felt that a 5.56 AR with a 16" barrel, and a 2.5-8 mk-4 would be the perfect tool for a LE precision rifle, especially in urban areas.
Limited mass projectiles with non-bonded cores should prove to be much safer in populated areas, and those types of bullets are accurate (mk262 or similar).
Accurate shot placement with a 5.56 will have dramatic effects, and the coroner will never know the difference anyhow.
Good ammo is also easier to find, and cheaper.

Imagine the effect of such a tool in the right hands during the infamous bank of America shoot-out.

Personally I'd cringe sending 175 grains down the street, but hey, it's not my job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I dont have any hands on with the SASS BUT I own a LR-308 which is its cousin.It has a 1:10 twist stainless bull barrel that has a flame in the center of a capital H. That is located on the bottom at the center of the barrel towards the barrel nut. I called DPMS and DPMS wont tell me who makes thier barrels. I've had some work done to it, a Magpul PRS Stock, Wilson Combat Single Stage TTU 4lbs trigger,Harris Bi-pod and am running a Burris Extreme Mildot with a lit ret. The first thing I did was listen to other Hide members here, and bought the 20 rnd P-Mag for 20 bucks via Brownells. I read the owners manual and did the whole shoot and clean thing as per DPMS. I have 300 rounds and not a single problem out of this fire arm I started by using the cheap bulk Ultra Max 168 gr. to get the 200 rnd count outta the way. At 260 rnds with 168 FGMM it was 1 moa at 100 yds. at 300 rnds it now shoots .5 moa and I have a close friend that is a former Marine Sniper and is also a LEO shoot the same grouping. I have not been able to shoot it since I put the 300 th round down range becasue I have had shoulder surgery and am recovering behind a desk in investigations lol. </div></div>

I believe that every DPMS and every DPMS barrel that I have every bought has had that same flaming H symbol on it. Big mystery where they come from though.

My dept. is also going to a LWRC Semi-auto paltform as an additional tool in our tool box. We will maintin our TRG's and AI's but will be getting 16" LWRC's with 1-4x Nightforces. Mostly to be used for a variety of assignments. We never tested a DPMS but the LWRC with the upgraded trigger was all we could ask for in a semi. Held just over moa with all brands of ammo we shot, and was 100% reliable for the entire month we had it.

PM sent w/ some info.

As far as the whole 5.56 vs. 7.62 debate goes; I gave strong consideration to 5.56. I even built a rifle in that caliber last year to test the platform for Sniper applications. At the end of the day, though, I still have more confidence in the 7.62 as a fight stopper; especially in situations where you may only get one shot. I understand the concern over releasing a 7.62 in a populated area, and I think it is valid. I also think that needs to be taken into consideration when selecting a hide.

Thanks,
HRF

If it helps any hrfunk

The Hornady TAP 110 grain has less penetration than a standard match .223. I am not sure what ammo your dept. shoots but I am trying to get mine away from the FGGM 168 grain that they love to buy so much. But no one can give me a reason on why they keep buying it other than it’s already on the price sheet at city hall.
I’ll post a link to the Hornady TAP test results.
http://www.hornadyle.com/

It is titled Ammunition Test Report and Application Guide at the bottom of the page. Take a few seconds to up load but has some pretty good test results to view.

Since June off and on I've been shooting up trains and buses and I can tell you for a fact the .223 just doesn't cut it on glass. We shoot the 168 for practice only, 165 Fed. Tact or 165 Barnes TSX. Nothing retains it's weight better than the Barnes. Over penetration is always a consideration, but if you can't get to the target, you can't stop it.