• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars Questions For The Randall Scholars

Quarter Horse

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2010
    Carlton, OR
    I'm not new to quality knives. As a matter of fact I have way to many to justify. I own customs, bench mades, special order, etc., etc. But, there is an itch I have never scratched. Back in the day, Randalls were highly regarded. I've handled a bunch but never used one enough to legitimately come to any conclusion.

So I walked into an LGS the other day and lo and behold two as new #16-7 SP#1s and a #1-7. All three look to be stainless. It was suggested that they were period pieces but I think not. The #1 was $600. and the SP#1s were $700.

I guess the real question is am I chasing a shadow? Either of the above would be compared to a Sean McWilliams Panama Fighter of similar overall style though a bit more of a drop point Bowie. It is forged ATS34 and it is the most well thought out overall design I've ever had in my hand.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the Randalls.

QH

My best friend's father when I was a child had a complete collection of Randall knives. He never used them for anything, but I always admired them. Because of that, I've always wanted one, preferably a basic Model 1. But at the end of the day, what am I going to use a fighting knife for? I haven't worn a uniform in 17 years. Decide what you're going to use it for and spend your money accordingly.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Pics would help. Might be a better question for blade forums there’s a lot of Randall collectors over there.

Pulled the trigger or whatever the equivalent is in knife parlance. #1-7, stainless, border patrol grip in brown micarta (maroon?) and it will be my new seven inch utility knife in the kitchen. The perfect fit between my six and eight inch forty five year old Wustof utilities.

It's exactly what I would have ordered with the exception of a nickel hilt rather than brass. I used it tonight to cut a big bacon, cheese, mushroom, lettuce and tomato burger tonight. Letting the knife do the work it went through the bun without any crushing, through the l&t without dragging them, through slightly overcooked bacon without crumbling it and the meat and bottom bun were a breeze.

A perfect cut on a stacked up burger leaves the burger the same height as it was before being cut and that's what the #1 did. Old Bo is either rolling in his grave or thinks it's funny as hell.

Reactions: pmclaine