• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 LTR SA, Lightweight stocks that will balance

AlleghenyLongGun

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
The ANF
Goodmorning killers. Recently returned home from a sheep hunt in Montana. I lugged around a 12.3 pound Remington 700 LTR .308 that rides in the factory HS precision stock. Beautiful OG looking rifle, It feels good and balances perfectly, even with a Precision Armament EFAB comp/flash hider, (substitution until a can arrives).

Looking to the hide for suggestions as to a lighter weight stock. One that still balances is my concern. I’m no stranger to carrying heavy weapons, it’s definitely not 240 heavy, but is enough to cause my pack to need stacked gear heavy on the opposite counter balance side.

I’ve looked at manners (of course), AG composites, Mesa precision, and recently peak 44. Peak 44 is as light as it gets. I love the carbon stock feel, just not really a fan of the rise at the comb of for example the Mesa precision. Axial Allterra stocks look incredible, just can’t land one ever lol.

Appreciate the read gents.

If you go with a lighter stock and remove weight from the rear it will shift the rifles balance forward. You cant have your cake and eat it to unless you get something with a shortened forearm to make up for the difference in balance and still keep it towards the rear.
The varmint contour barrel is where most your weights at though.

I bet that youll lay down and shoot off a pack and not offhand so really the balance doesnt matter in the end.

All of those are fine examples. I’ll add the MDT HNT26 in there at the top because it folds. You’re gonna have to rebarrel what you have or just do another barreled action if you want balance.

Reactions: Hickswr
If you go with a lighter stock and remove weight from the rear it will shift the rifles balance forward. You cant have your cake and eat it to unless you get something with a shortened forearm to make up for the difference in balance and still keep it towards the rear.
The varmint contour barrel is where most your weights at though.

I bet that youll lay down and shoot off a pack and not offhand so really the balance doesnt matter in the end.
Well shit, I was afraid of that. I have a pretty lightweight bipod from Spartan precision that rides with it. It’s what I train with so I keep with it.

The sheep around where we go are dubbed “timber sheep” only reason I was looking at the balance. Still though the long shots in the interspersed boulder fields are always a higher likelihood though. It’s my everything old trusty .308, was just looking to improve it. Appreciate the insight.

All of those are fine examples. I’ll add the MDT HNT26 in there at the top because it folds. You’re gonna have to rebarrel what you have or just do another barreled action if you want balance.
I have an MDT LSS XL gen2 for a wby vanguard in .300 Wby. Does the HNT 26 balance better than that? It’s a damn near prone rifle with a 26” overall length including the brake.

I have an MDT LSS XL gen2 for a wby vanguard in .300 Wby. Does the HNT 26 balance better than that? It’s a damn near prone rifle with a 26” overall length including the brake.
The HNT is the lightest folding chassis made, so no, not without a pencil or carbon barrel it doesnt.