• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Random optics question

spiritzerothree

Flight Engineer
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2008
Fort Belvoir, VA
Let me start out by saying my optics experience thusfar is extremely limited, so feel free to let it rip if this comes across as a dumb question....

Do any current optics offer positive click adjustment of magnification? all of my optics have reticles on the second focal plane, so my mil dots are only accurate at 1 setting, however when setting the zoom pretty much the best i can do is guestimate what the current magnification is. Dunno if anyone has though of it yet, just thinking out loud.

Re: Random optics question

Never heard of a scope having such.... I have been wrong b4 tho

Spirit, I getcha, and despite having owned/used more than thirty different scopes in the last dozen years, I've not seen one with the feature you describe.

Some feature a dot which is meant to correlate the magnification with "standard" mildot spacing in a 2nd focal plane variable power scope. But, how does the user know if it's right on that spot, correct? On the other hand, even if it did feature a click detent for that purpose, the only way the user REALLY knows is to check. How to check? I like a yardstick taped to the target at 100y (measured). The outer posts (left-right, or top-bottom) should span the yardstick from end to end, and the mildots should be spaced at 3.6" on center.

The detent feature would be sorta cool if it really was calibrated properly. If it wasn't, the detent feature would be a PITA.
smile.gif

I understand that most scopes are not actually calibrated at the mark and that as you mentioned it behooves the user to actually measure it on their own. Clicks would pretty much eliminate this opportunity.
Ross