• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range day with the Nagant "sniper" and revolver

BravoSector1

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 26, 2011
    Idaho
    I've had a lot of fun shooting the 91/30 sniper lately. I also broke out the Nagant M1895 revolver for the first time. I've got reloading components coming to load for 7.62x54r. My expectations are the groups will tighten up some but the bore in this rifle is nothing short of sewer pipe fantastic. Still, at 100m with the 3.5x scope, shooting PPU match, it was hunting accurate. The more I shoot it, and clean it, the better the bore looks.
    IMG_7385_zpse3c46f3f.jpg

IMG_7389_zps11deed48.jpg

IMG_7398_zps392b9481.jpg

IMG_7399_zps3ceeab99.jpg

The M1895...a very interesting revolver. I'm not sure at what velocity the .30cal pills are leaving the revolver at, waiting for my chony to arrive, but it can't be much. The round would barely put the steel plates down but it's a lot of fun to shoot.
    IMG_7426_zps66ea332c.jpg

IMG_7427_zpse7a604a4.jpg

IMG_7428_zps181f0cb6.jpg

IMG_7431_zpsae51dfa8.jpg

Re: Range day with the Nagant "sniper" and revolver

With good hand loads the Mosin can be pretty dern accurate (I don't shoot the Sniper Version) and fun to shoot.

The Nagant Revolver is a different story all together. That sucker is just plain fun to shoot. Again you can make some pretty good rounds by reloading.

Yeah its pretty useless but again a heck of a lot of fun to shoot. Not too bad accuracy wise....Single Action. I haven't been able to master the double action pull.

We have some fun multi gun matches at the club I belong too. I think for the next one I'm gonna shoot my Mosin and Nagant.

I don't think it would make a very good Bullseye Gun.

This was fired at 15 yards with some of my Nagant reloads.

7%20rds_%20factory.JPG

I would get a jar of J.B. Bore Bright (the purple paste) and shine the heck out of the bore. That was done to my competition MN sni[per (a restored '42 Izhevsk) and it shines now - and is a tack driver.

Hand loads will make a huge difference. This was 25 rounds of hand loads - 174gn .311 bullets with 43.5 gns of Varget powder. I had a digital scale toast itself and ended up with 3 under powdered loads. Can you pick them out?

403835460.jpg

First 10 were at lower left; then lower right, then last 5 at center bull to validate my zero before going to the Vintage Sniper match a few weeks ago.

Enjoy your Mosins!!

I've got the same components on hand for the the 7.62x54r. I'll work the bore and see what I can do. There is something about this old platform that is screeming "I can produce more". We'll see. I've got he Hornady bullets on hand, the Varget, and will use some of the PPU brass to start. I'd love to use this platform in Dec/Jan for a deer hunt.

Recently had the 91/30 out as part of an extended range day. Ran the spamcan light ball stuff, some Win 180gr fmj, and several inital handloading efforts including 123gr FMJ's from x39 pulldowns and some HDY 150gr .308 FMJBTs.

At 50yd with irons, the spamcan light ball was the winner by a significant margin. The other stuff all showed some stringing, while the light ball was dead center (no bayonet), tight round pattern on the 6" Shoot-N-See at 50yd.

I am reevaluating my plans to handload for this caliber. It could pay to just get a few spamcans and be done with it. Yes, the stuff leaves gobbets of 'charcoal' in the bore and is corrosive, but T/C muzzleloader cleaning foam makes short work of getting that crud out.

BTW, the experiment with wrapping the barrel (with strips of Foamies 2mm Neoprene foam) to snug it up under the stock bands seems to have provided actual, noticeable accuracy benefit; one ragged hole at 50 (quarter size), irons off the rest/bench.

I have an Uncle Mike's slip-on recoil pad added, and it makes this rifle very pleasant to shoot, especially with the additional inch of LOP.

Greg

Unless you are really shooting competition, it's not worth the cost of reloading, IMHO.

I disagree. I wont use steal cases or bullets in any of my guns Mosin or not.

If I want cheap shooting, I'll load cast bullets.

I'm not sure I understand the issue with the normal MILSURP. These rifles have shot it for decades. Not liking it is one thing, but that doesn't make reloading less expensive then the cost of the vast quantities of cheap ammo on the market.

The major issue with the MILSURP, IMHO, is that is corrosive. But all that means is that you have to clean properly. For the typical person who goes to the range just to have fun, I still think it makes much more sense to shot that then to invest in all the supplies neede to safely reload on a continual basis.

Again, just my own $.02.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Devious6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure I understand the issue with the normal MILSURP. These rifles have shot it for decades. Not liking it is one thing, but that doesn't make reloading less expensive then the cost of the vast quantities of cheap ammo on the market.

The major issue with the MILSURP, IMHO, is that is corrosive. But all that means is that you have to clean properly. For the typical person who goes to the range just to have fun, I still think it makes much more sense to shot that then to invest in all the supplies neede to safely reload on a continual basis.

Again, just my own $.02. </div></div>

Completely argree and I've got cases of romanian and bulgarian surplus on hand. I guess the "accuracy bug" has bit and I'm looking to see what I can do with the reloads. I'm also intersted in hunting with the mosin and that means a soft point/SST type bullet. The Hornady 174gr RNSP .311 bullets I received should work well. If it's for not...the stuff winds up on the EE. No skin off my back...especially if I'm having fun
    laugh.gif

For handloading the Mosins, slug the barrel first. WIDE variations in production of those war time barrels.

Also, Hornady sometimes release "blemish" .311 bullets. You can pick these up at a good cost, further reducing your total cost.

My needs for the 91/30 do not include match rifle accuracy. It's a Service Rifle, and IMHO, Service Rifles were probably never intended to shoot down to 1MOA.

There has probably never been a smashingly better 'Zombie Rifle' than the 91/30, and I plan on starting a small collection. If WWII Soviet Conscripts could drive the Master Race back to Berlin with it, it's doing its job just fine.

Like the above, my only real objection to the standard MilSurp (spamcan steelcase) is its corrosive nature. Otherwise, it shoots quite well enough for my needs.

I just happened upon some TulAmmo 148gr noncorrosive Berdan steelcase at the dealer this week, and I'm giving some a try. If it works out, I'll probably order up a case or two, and that will be that.

Greg

They are a lot of fun to shoot.
    Plus, you have SO much more respect for the person behind the rifle that was limited by the optics.
    I want to take mine hunting this fall just to say I did it.

I only reload for my snipers to shoot in competitions. If I'm just shooting one of my standard infantry rifles or my M44, I'm using MILSURP.

Even with the snipers, MILSURP is pretty reliable out to 600 yards. The problem in competition is that the scoring demands that you not just hit, but that you stay in the bull to compete. For that, you need a consistent load.

I have a question for you about the telescope, which is a year (or a replica?) And where you bought it?. Beautifully presented with a rifle.