• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range report Remington 5R in .223

klf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
Indiana
I have been running my new 5R in .223 for about two weeks now. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 sitting on a weaver Picatinny base and Millett tactical bases. I have less than 500 rounds through it and she is dumping three shotters in less than a quarter inch at 100 yards. The five shotters are up around the .7" range. I'm using the Sierra 60 grain varmiteer with 22.8 grains of AA 2460. It's a keeper. I shot the groups below on Saturday. The conditions were ideal with no wind. The only limitation was the big loose nut behind the scope. This one is a keeper. It is a sweet little caliber that I can shoot all day long without taking a beating.
1002176m.jpg
1002178f.jpg

Re: Range report Remington 5R in .223

Got to love the 223 bolt guns. They are easy on the body and easy on the brass too. I can take once shot 223 brass and put them in a Wilson caliber gauge and they fit right back in and fall back out. When I go to re-size it is an easy job.

I wonder what speed you are getting with 22.8 grains. I also use AA 2460 and use 24.1 GR's with 77 SMK's and running right at 2750 fps with a 18" Bartlein 1:8 Twist barrel and that is a pretty gentle load. I have gone up to 25 grains with no ill effects on the brass but it did open up the groups with the bolt gun but the AR's loved it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got to love the 223 bolt guns. They are easy on the body and easy on the brass too. I can take once shot 223 brass and put them in a Wilson caliber gauge and they fit right back in and fall back out. When I go to re-size it is an easy job.

I wonder what speed you are getting with 22.8 grains. I also use AA 2460 and use 24.1 GR's with 77 SMK's and running right at 2750 fps with a 18" Bartlein 1:8 Twist barrel and that is a pretty gentle load. I have gone up to 25 grains with no ill effects on the brass but it did open up the groups with the bolt gun but the AR's loved it. </div></div>

I don't have access to a chrony. It is big on my wish list. Please go to http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2917486#Post2917486 to see some happy stuff on the same load working great in my AR!
grin.gif

try some 69 grain matchkings or hornaday 68 match boat tail. my 5r loves those

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DJ480</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try some 69 grain matchkings or hornaday 68 match boat tail. my 5r loves those </div></div>

Now you're talk'in total arousal!
laugh.gif

hey when I first started reading your post I thought you had my rifel.I too have the 6-18x40mm with the target dot.haven't shoot much in the 50-60gn bullets went right to the 69gn bullets.and useing the NCC with 24.0gn's of 8208 XBR in Lapua cases they just shoot one little hole at 100.and at 300 they give what I think is great accuracy ( 1.5 inch with 10 shoots )

glade you have a keeper

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: klf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got to love the 223 bolt guns. They are easy on the body and easy on the brass too. I can take once shot 223 brass and put them in a Wilson caliber gauge and they fit right back in and fall back out. When I go to re-size it is an easy job.

I wonder what speed you are getting with 22.8 grains. I also use AA 2460 and use 24.1 GR's with 77 SMK's and running right at 2750 fps with a 18" Bartlein 1:8 Twist barrel and that is a pretty gentle load. I have gone up to 25 grains with no ill effects on the brass but it did open up the groups with the bolt gun but the AR's loved it. </div></div>yes that should very high on the list. It is hard to reload without a chronograph. I reload for both too and it can be hard to get them on the same sheet. Since my AR's can only load to mag length at 2.260 but my AICS mags will go to almost 2.30 so I can play with seating depths. Lots of things to play with.

I don't have access to a chrony. It is big on my wish list. Please go to http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2917486#Post2917486 to see some happy stuff on the same load working great in my AR!
grin.gif
</div></div>

I was able to get some range time today. I am still learning to shoot the rifle, cheek weld and all. 100 yards, no wind, and cold as hell.

1001993r.jpg

Here she is. She is still pretty stock. Below is her ugly sister. The AR is shooting three shot groups in the sub .2" range.

1001994x.jpg

that ar is a dpms lr-308 right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baygall1997</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that ar is a dpms lr-308 right? </div></div>

No, It is a parts gun I cobbled together, both are .223. Colt Hbar pre-ban lower, double star upper, and a shaw 24" ss bbl. Everyone says the shaws won't shoot but I beg to differ.

This is from the AR with the Shaw button cut non 5R barrel.

1001403xr.jpg

I train with my 223. I think it is a blast! I figure my cost is cut almost in half, 1/2 the powder and bullets can be had for a good price. Between my .22 and the .223 I think I get to practice a lot more then I would if I was shooting the larger calibers all the time? Not to say that shooting the larger bullets isn't a ton of fun!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I train with my 223. I think it is a blast! I figure my cost is cut almost in half, 1/2 the powder and bullets can be had for a good price. Between my .22 and the .223 I think I get to practice a lot more then I would if I was shooting the larger calibers all the time? Not to say that shooting the larger bullets isn't a ton of fun!! </div></div>

That is exactly right. Our range is only 120 yards long. I have 30.06s and .308s and I feel silly shooting them at those short ranges. With the .223 I can concentrate on the fundamentals like stockweld and trigger control. Hopefully my club will build a longer range and I can let the big dogs bark. Untill then it's the small stuff for me.