• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

PRS Talk Razor Gen 2 vs Razor AMG for prs?

Tyjack7227

Private
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2018
Looking at these two Vortex scopes for prs. I love the reticle in the AMG and that it’s American made, but I also like the zoom range in the Gen 2. Opinions?

Both are amazing optics and will serve you well. Pick based on the reticle, unless one has another feature over the other that you want/need (for instance, the AMG is almost 20oz lighter, but the Razor G2 has a 34mm tube and a 56mm objective as opposed to the 30mm and 50mm of the AMG).

Me? I'd go AMG. I prefer the reticle, don't need the rev indicator of the G2, and the AMG offers plenty of elevation at over a pound in weight savings. I'd be tempted to go with a Gen2 if I found one at an amazing price, though. At how heavy my AIAT is, I wouldn't notice the extra 20oz. :LOL:

I have both scopes either will suit you well. The AMG is lighter, has the ability to lock the diopter in place but does not have the little indicator to tell you when you are above 10 mils.
The Razor has more magnification, does have the revolution indicator, and has a 56mm objective which gives you a better field of view.

I own 3 Razors and one AMG and both are great scopes.

Reactions: glock63
For the PRS game either will work just fine. The differences have been noted already. The weight difference and reticle are the two things I would use to make your decision. If you wanted to have it lighter than the AMG.

The mag range is almost identical and the small differences on top and bottom won't matter in the sport as both have plenty on the top end and you will probably never go below 8x anyways. With the zero stop the turn indicator is nice but not a must have as you can always dial down to the stop to find your bottom. Also in the sport you spend most of the time in the first turn with most calibers.

I own and have used both in matches and both work excellent. No wrong answer.

Whichever you can get cheaper.

I paid a stupid low amount for my Gen II so I know that’s what I’m sticking with.

I'll second, whichever you can get a better deal on. Unless weight is a concern. Then AMG.

If anyone is interested in a razor gen 2, use code mmvtx14 on OpticsPlanet to get 14% off any vortex scope, the razor gen 2 also comes with a 250$ gift card, but not the amg

Reactions: Pwheatstraw
I say AMG and get the ebr7B reticle. One of the best reticles in the game, and the glass is amazing.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
I think the Razor has a bit better FOV and stupid good eyebox (important for awkward positional shooting in PRS). Also, I like my guns as heavy as possible to make them more stable and balanced on a bag. Also, they are less affected by free recoil. Others have listed some other differences.

For STRICTLY PRS I think the Razor II is the better scope. For almost any other application, the AMG would be a better choice due to weight.

Reactions: Commander184
Agree with general zip. The eye box is huge and for PRS weight is actually a good thing IMO

I chose the amg over the razor due to the reticle.

In recently upgraded to a Minox ZP5 mr4 reticle because it’s basically a ebr7-b with .2 on the vertical.

The only thing I miss is the .5mil vertical hash marks on the main horizontal.

I use both...on the same and different rifles. the matches I've shot not much "hiking" was required so never noticed the weight difference.
I like AMG's reticle better.
I like HDII's eyebox better.
I shot better with the AMG though :geek: haha....

I have a n hd2. If the amg had been out when I was shopping, I’d have an amg.

That said, there’s really good deals to be had on used hd2s. And they are absolutely everything you need in a scope.

i run the gen 2 rzr and love it, the weight is a plus for me.
that being said i have the amg but its in the box sitting in my safe taking up room should probably just sell it