• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Razor Gen 3 line?

LOL! I think we should form a club - the "I could have bought a new truck, but decided to find the right scope" club ;)

and trigger,and barrel,and stock/chassis...the list is long...and the bad part it continues LOL.....waiting for my PRS 1 right now!

• Haha
Reactions: Glassaholic
As stated many times already in this thread just give me a new mid power AMG!!! Please! 3-4x on the low end and 15-20x on the high end. 44 - 50mm objective. 30mm tube. Shorten it 2" or so. 25 ounces or less.
So a Leupold Mark 5. Except for the 30mm tube.

Schwewwweeeeeeettt. Do it Vortex.

Reactions: ldunnmobile
I love the 1-10 option but I think the price is a bit high for what it is MSRP 2,899.99 that’s a bit steep for a vortex 1-10.

I understand that a TT is better, and also costs $2500+ more than a Gen2 Razor. I do prefer the short form factor of the Razor vs the uber long TT, and the weight doesn't bother me as it's sole use is on my match rifle where the extra 10oz gets lost in the fray.

Honestly (for ME) the Vortex turret/zero system leaves a lot to be desired. It's just more work than it's worth to get that sub-0.1 mil "perfect" zero, especially if you ever swap barrels on an AI, DT, etc. Not only do you have to unscrew the cap (which always gets marred up), then three set screws, then have to adjust the clickless turret the correct direction. It seems easy/foolproof, but when you're rushing before a match, or trying to adjust zero without taking any more shots, I've seen (and done it myself) where you end up adjusting that last 0.2 mils the wrong direction and completely screwing yourself up. I also got rid of my AMG after one match, as when I adjusted the zero and re-tightened the set screws, the zero would move (rotate) on its own, no matter how I tightened the set screws. My Razor has never done that over the course of 4 years.

There's just something inherently better (to me) about shooting a group, adjusting the turret with the regular click adjustments to get it zeroed, then doing a couple set screws to rotate the turret to zero. DONE. Even easier if it's a TT because you don't need the set screws. Vortex if you're listening... ?

Personally I like the vortex turrets for multiple calibers. A small little witness mark on top of the inside cap for each caliber. Keep one of the vortex turret tools handy and you won’t ever mar a cap and you’ll always have the Allen wrench. Mind you I’m not an avid match goer but I like the little system I have in place. If I have any questions about which cal and which zero I check the barrel and twist off the cap to check to make sure the right mark is the one zeroed. I have the zeros shifts noted and written down but I never reference them and always just use the marks.

They do. I have a couple of Tangents and they are remarkably good in bad atmospheric conditions. I did side-by-side with a bunch of fancy scopes to see which sees through mirage better.

ILya

Interesting. I did not think that was possible. Any other scopes do well? Or do you rank them in any of your videos?

Oh okay, I didn't realize that, you must be right, all Vortex glass doesn't impress. ?

Glad to see you coming around. It really doesn't and they're now charging the same premiums as anyone else with an established name. They don't have budget glass anymore.

the mirage issues is what drove me away from vortex...everyone raves about vortex glass...it’s not that great.

Their coatings and adjustments drive me nuts. I can never get them dialed to alleviate eye strain. My eyes just don't agree with their glass.

Reactions: 47guy
Better glass that handles mirage better? Have you tried the same environment on a different scope? I have tested the G2 razor and ATACR and S&B under similar conditions and found them all very similar. Perhaps you have too much magnification dialed in or have a lot of heat coming off your barrel or can.

Different optics absolutely handle mirage differently.

Reactions: 5RWill
Oh okay, I didn't realize that, you must be right, all Vortex glass doesn't impress. ?

I've had my AMG for a pretty good while now and I like the glass. To my eyes when Minox was all the rave, I had a Minox and AMG side by side and preferred the Resolution better on the AMG. But all of our eyes are different so to each his own..

Reactions: Rob01
I've had my AMG for a pretty good while now and I like the glass. To my eyes when Minox was all the rave, I had a Minox and AMG side by side and preferred the Resolution better on the AMG. But all of our eyes are different so to each his own..

Well said. And I agree AMG does have excellent glass and very good optical prescription.

IF!, they could make a ZCO quality scope for 2/3's the price and 6oz. less weight across the models in 34mm tube/ in power ranges of 4x20& 5x30 with reticle options to suite the customers preference that would be amazing and part me from some $$$$$!

IF!, they could make a ZCO quality scope for 2/3's the price and 6oz. less weight across the models in 34mm tube/ in power ranges of 4x20& 5x30 with reticle options to suite the customers preference that would be amazing and part me from some $$$$$!

............lol

“If they wanted to go out of business, I’d pay them to do it.”

• Haha
Reactions: davere
A 2-20 and 3.5-35 would be pretty sweet but of course that would be a tough one. But hey, if they can pull of a 1-10 successfully, I suppose it's certainly possible. Very curious to see what all Vortex has in store for us this year.

Reactions: SD Carpenter
A 2-20 and 3.5-35 would be pretty sweet but of course that would be a tough one. But hey, if they can pull of a 1-10 successfully, I suppose it's certainly possible. Very curious to see what all Vortex has in store for us this year.
The 2-20 or even 2.5-25 sounds like a great mag range. I just can't imagine how small the reticle would be at low and how large it would be @ max...

Yup because we all know color is the most important thing in a scope. Lol

Reactions: IowaGeologist
Yup because we all know color is the most important thing in a scope. Lol

Everyone knows the LCF cuts groups by at least 69.420% ?

Hopefully they don't release something like a 30-some ounce 2-20 or 3-10 anytime soon. Just jumped on a used AMG instead of an NX8 for a crossover build.

• Haha
Just jumped on a used AMG instead of an NX8 for a crossover build.
The AMG may be hindered by 4x erector, but it makes up for it with excellent optics, DOF, forgiving parallax and eyebox. I had a NX8 2.5-20 that really struggled in these areas, I hear the 4-32 NX8 is better but have not seen one yet.

The AMG may be hindered by 4x erector, but it makes up for it with excellent optics, DOF, forgiving parallax and eyebox. I had a NX8 2.5-20 that really struggled in these areas, I hear the 4-32 NX8 is better but have not seen one yet.

Those exact reasons are why I decided to go with a used AMG instead. Fiddling with parallax when a deer or coyote wanders out of the bush line isn't what I need ha. These 1-10x razor IIis would be sweet on a short bush beater.

The 2-20 or even 2.5-25 sounds like a great mag range. I just can't imagine how small the reticle would be at low and how large it would be @ max...
As someone who's shot extensively with the NX8s I think you are very much correct. I think NF did a good job at 8x magnification range but I could't see it working too well beyond that unless either the lowest or highest power was virtually unusable.

Reactions: stello1001
If everyone would just abandon the "official" Vortex process for adjusting L-Tec turrets, they'd be a lot happier with the process. Frankly, the erectors move WAAAAY too easily to be farting around with adjusting them with a screwdriver. I'm not aware of any other scope that can adjust in increments smaller than a turret click, and I don't feel like I actually need that level of precision anyway. My process:

- adjust turrets until rifle shoots to point of aim
- lock turrets
- pull caps, loosen screws
- unlock turret and turn to zero
- lock turret again (and press internal "hub" back into place, if it stays elevated)
- gently tighten screws until L-Tec tool just starts to "bend" a bit (per Vortex)
- replace caps

You really don't need to lock/unlock, but I do it to prevent accidental movement of the turret while I'm working.
Really liked this suggestion and understand the logic but it didn't work for me. When I unlocked the elevation turret and turned to zero (with the screws loosened) the "internal ring" moved as well so no adjustment was made. I had to hold the internal ring in place with a screwdriver to keep it from moving :( Was really hoping this would work on my scope.

Which scope do you have? I've used that procedure on AMGs and Razor Gen II scopes without issue.
Razor Gen II. I see what you are saying and how it should work but on mine the internal moves with the turret even when set screws loosened

Razor Gen II. I see what you are saying and how it should work but on mine the internal moves with the turret even when set screws loosened

What's interesting is... I just got in a brand new Gen II... and it works exactly as you describe. Can't use my technique on this scope, but could on earlier ones. The tradeoff is - they seem to have increased the resistance on the erector such that I can reliably adjust the erector directly (per Vortex's instructions), rather than have it move so easily that it's impossible to adjust accurately (like the other Vortex scopes I've had that issue with, inc. my current AMG). So, whatever change was made at least makes it possible to follow their directions and adjust the scope accurately.

I have had scopes from the first run to last year and never had an issue accurately zeroing them using the instructions given by Vortex. It’s simple. Lock turrets, take off cap, loosen screws and adjust center screw. Once zeroed, tighten screws and put cap on. Done. Simple.

I have had scopes from the first run to last year and never had an issue accurately zeroing them using the instructions given by Vortex. It’s simple. Lock turrets, take off cap, loosen screws and adjust center screw. Once zeroed, tighten screws and put cap on. Done. Simple.

Until the erector turns SO easily that it makes it nearly impossible to adjust accurately (unless, maybe, you have a surgeon's control over your screwdriver). Plenty of reports of people having this issue. I've had several people try to adjust my AMG via Vortex's instructions - just to show them how ludicrously easily that erector turns - and so far, no one has been able to do it with anything resembling control.

Maybe you have outstanding fine motor control, Rob? Like 99th percentile or better...

Until the erector turns SO easily that it makes it nearly impossible to adjust accurately (unless, maybe, you have a surgeon's control over your screwdriver). Plenty of reports of people having this issue. I've had several people try to adjust my AMG via Vortex's instructions - just to show them how ludicrously easily that erector turns - and so far, no one has been able to do it with anything resembling control.

Maybe you have outstanding fine motor control, Rob? Like 99th percentile or better...

I have an AMG and a gen 2. I have zero issue zero'ing the scope using vortex instructions. They have .1 mil line markings on the dial that spins, I never thought it difficult at all.

Agree, huge Vortex fanboy with too many Vortex products to count. But the Zero mechanism for the Razor is its weakest point. Have heard the same sentiments from MANY Razor owners.

Agree, huge Vortex fanboy with too many Vortex products to count. But the Zero mechanism for the Razor is its weakest point. Have heard the same sentiments from MANY Razor owners.

If my AMG (and the other Gen IIs I've helped folks with) adjusted like my new Gen II, it wouldn't be a weak point. Very easy to adjust zero on the new scope following Vortex's procedure. It's as easy as anything else, anything. Modifying the procedure (per my earlier post) also made it very easy on my AMG and the other Gen IIs. No weaker a point than the other scopes in my circle of friends (ATACR, K525i, etc)

Got no special powers. Just look at the lines and adjust accordingly. I know some don’t like it as it’s more steps than just dialing and resetting knob but never heard of anyone not being able to use the little lines and make movements. Maybe lay off the caffeine prior to zeroing so those hand shakes ease up. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1moaoff and davere
Oh and forgot to add @davere but I have been hearing some rumblings of a change in the future of the zeroing so keep an eye out. You might be happier.

Maybe lay off the caffeine prior to zeroing so those hand shakes ease up. LOL

I've been known to drink some coffee... but really, in my case, the issue is that there's really no tactile feedback, so I can't feel the thing start to turn at all. It'll be interesting to see what a new zero-ing system looks like, though - but to be clear, I don't think it's hard on either of my scopes, just have to follow a different procedure than Vortex specified on one of them (and on several other friends' scopes). My new G2 is easy as pie.

Myself included. I waste more ammo zeroing a Razor than the simple slip turret designs. I would never even consider using a Razor on a switch barrel rifle. Other than this Its one of my favorite scopes.

Not sure what the hell you guys are doing. Takes no more ammo to zero a Razor than any other scope. Shoot one and use the reticle to make an adjustment measurement and then dial it. Usually takes no more than 3-5 shots to get a zero. Maybe I should give a class on it. LOL

Not sure what the hell you guys are doing. Takes no more ammo to zero a Razor than any other scope. Shoot one and use the reticle to make an adjustment measurement and then dial it. Usually takes no more than 3-5 shots to get a zero. Maybe I should give a class on it. LOL
I know how to zero. Any other scope it is done in 3-5 shots. Its the adjustment mechanism. It is not precise despite the markings. Move the inside dial 0.1 mil, sometimes POI changes .1 sometime not at all, sometimes .2. Say what you want but MANY competent shooters have the same issue. See it all the time with the Razor.

Reactions: wade2big
I know how to zero. Any other scope it is done in 3-5 shots. Its the adjustment mechanism. It is not precise despite the markings. Move the inside dial 0.1 mil, sometimes POI changes .1 sometime not at all, sometimes .2. Say what you want but MANY competent shooters have the same issue. See it all the time with the Razor.
This is my experience and I have posted it on here before. The internal markings are merely suggestions most of the time.

Reactions: stevenc23
Best solution I found is to just leave it as is and put the zero offset in the ballistic calculator. Or calculate true zero range and enter that. Actually LOVE my razors (plural) but hate zeroing them.

• Haha
ConventionalUnluckyAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

• Love
Reactions: 1moaoff