• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RCBS 3 way carbide cutter?

F---ing love mine...just buy a different pilot for each caliber. Huge time saver.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

These are the shit. It's one of those items you buy and say, "why the hell did I wait so long to try this." They do take some time to set up properly, but once you dial it in, it is truly amazing. They sell the different pilots for each caliber for like 10 bucks, however, if you are frequently shooting a couple different calibers, I'd suggest buying a new cutter assembly and dedicating it to that caliber. You'll go through 3-4 pieces of brass tweaking the settings. Setting up the deburr is super easy. However, the chamfer is a little more tricky. My first piece of brass had such an extreme chamfer that I could have used the brass as a surgical knife, lol. One thing I just realized, but have not tried...I bet you could use a set of feeler gauges to set up the chamfer pilot. Damn...now I'm going to have to try that tonight. It might not work, but worth a shot :)

These cutter heads also work with the Hornady trimmer.

Also, just to clarify, the cutter you linked is the carbide upgrade to the regular cutter head. I'm assuming you know that, I'm just wanted to mention that just in case. I do not use the carbide cutter, just the regular steel cutter and it works fine. I have used it to trim about 5000 pieces of brass, and it's still plenty sharp.

Hope that helps.

Ordered it and realized it doesn't have threads and probably wont work on my Trimmer 2, so had to cancel until I can figure out if I can use it on my trimmer 2.

I think that's the wrong cutter . . . the one we're talking about (I think) has three different cutting blades, 2 adjustable, and a threaded carrier:

RCBS Trim Pro Case Trimmer 3-Way Cutter 22 Cal

The caliber designation refers only to the pilot supplied with it, which is interchangeable.

I called RCBS to see if it would fit in my Universal Case Prep Center, and they mentioned a minimum case length. But I don't think there would be a min or max on your trimmer - it has a different design.

Last edited:
I have a 3-way for every single caliber I reload. I bought the whole unit instead of just switching out pilots because adjusting it is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth (and I didn't know about the interchangeability of the pilots until I had already bought a bunch of them lol). That being said I love the 3-way trimmers and I can't believe people would do it any other way.

I have a 3-way for every single caliber I reload. I bought the whole unit instead of just switching out pilots because adjusting it is more of a pain in the ass than it's worth (and I didn't know about the interchangeability of the pilots until I had already bought a bunch of them lol). That being said I love the 3-way trimmers and I can't believe people would do it any other way.

So instead of paying around 10 bucks for the pilots you choose 50 bucks for the whole assembly? I see your logic, saves time, dammit! LOL

The pilots in mine actually score the inside of my case necks very badly, I must have a misaligned cutter bearing perhaps. I even tried polishing the pilots but it had zero effect. Given up on the RCBS completely including the 3 way cutters and totally moved over to LE Wilson products. Anyone else ever come across this problem?

The pilots in mine actually score the inside of my case necks very badly, I must have a misaligned cutter bearing perhaps. I even tried polishing the pilots but it had zero effect. Given up on the RCBS completely including the 3 way cutters and totally moved over to LE Wilson products. Anyone else ever come across this problem?

Is the chamfer deeper on one side? Check how true the case alignment is to the cutter. If not straight, most likely the brass is held at a angle. Curse of some lathe type trimmers.

Make sure you're using the CORRECT shell holder plate thing. I had one that was just barely off (AA Grendel brass is slightly smaller than what RCBS said would work) and that caused exactly what you're talking about. The shell plate needs to hold it tight.

Love mine, just wish the trimmer was faster.

PS: RCBS Power Pro Trimmer and Cutter for each caliber. If I ever wear out a cutter, not likely, I can change the caliber.

Last edited:
Just do it the old fashioned way and stop if your fingers start to bleed.

Leetrimmer_zpsc2d6c83a.jpg

Then when your fingers heal and it doesn't hurt to pick your nose any more you can get mechanized.

trimmers_zps3471139a.jpg

And soon you will have the need for speed.

trimmers-b_zps161eba67.jpg

I was lucky and one of the first bits of reloading equipment I bought was an RCBS trim pro and included 3 way trimmers for .223/.308/6.5mm. I immediately took the crank handle off and used my drill to power it. Recently it's been upgraded with the universal shell holder and works great.

I noticed this on the first cases I trimmed when my 3-way cutter was new (5 years ago). I took some 2,000 grit sandpaper to the pilot and smoothed some burrs. Also trim right after sizing so there's some residual lube in the neck. No more scoring although the scoring/scuffing never had an adverse effect on accuracy for me.

These cutters are great and you can do it all in one operation. Not only can you trim, chamfer, and de-burr, unlike deburring and chamfering with a hand tool the 3-way does every case the same amount, every time. I upgraded my 3-way tool by adding a carbide cutter head. Less effort as the tool stays ultra sharp.

This tool is a little like sex. If you're using it and not enjoying it, you're doing it wrong. :)

I noticed this on the first cases I trimmed when my 3-way cutter was new (5 years ago). I took some 2,000 grit sandpaper to the pilot and smoothed some burrs. Also trim right after sizing so there's some residual lube in the neck. No more scoring although the scoring/scuffing never had an adverse effect on accuracy for me.

These cutters are great and you can do it all in one operation. Not only can you trim, chamfer, and de-burr, unlike deburring and chamfering with a hand tool the 3-way does every case the same amount, every time. I upgraded my 3-way tool by adding a carbide cutter head. Less effort as the tool stays ultra sharp.

This tool is a little like sex. If you're using it and not enjoying it, you're doing it wrong. :)

No comment on that last line! :D

Well following some of the suggestions on this thread I've relooked at the TrimPro. There's nothing wrong with the shell plates and the conclusion is I unfortunately seem to have a bad one as the cutter shaft has runout. To exacerbate this even further the 3 way cutter is also out of alignment causing the pilot to move laterally and put pressure on the side of the case - sufficiently so to remove brass from the inside of the case neck....

I like RCBS gear and I can see if this was working correctly I would be a firm supporter, however I seem to a got a Friday afternoon special. Maybe if I replaced the shaft and bearing and tried a new 3 way it would solve the problem - probably just as well buy a new unit..

I just got this 3 Way Cutter myself and "It's All That". I would get the adapter also as I have so you can remove your handle of the Trimmer and replace the cranking with a powered Screw Driver. Slick deal.

I just clamp my drill on the existing round shaft and never had an issue with it losing grip.

I just clamp my drill on the existing round shaft and never had an issue with it losing grip.

Then that guy who's busting these adapters out at $9 bucks a pop, what happens to him? What about his family? Good Lord you're a cruel bastard ! Just kidding. It's just, well, I don't have a drill. But I do have an electric screwdriver so I bought the damn adapter and actually never gave a good god damn about the guy making them or his family, if that makes ya feel better :)

I have three of the 3 way and they work great .I found if you set them up for fully or neck sized cases they work fine every time .If you mix sized and as fired cases then the results is mixed . The diameter of the neck must be the same every case so sizing first is needed which should be done any way before trimming .

I have three of the 3 way and they work great .I found if you set them up for fully or neck sized cases they work fine every time .If you mix sized and as fired cases then the results is mixed . The diameter of the neck must be the same every case so sizing first is needed which should be done any way before trimming .

Not only what you said but if one should only trim sized cases anyway. Sizing can change case length. Not so much if you only neck size but when fill length sizing or even just shoulder bumping, change in case OAL occurs. The brass you "push in" has to go somewhere, right?