• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Re-Barrel Accuracy International?

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
Anyone know of or use a northeast dealer/smith that can properly re barrel an Accuracy International AE MKII from .308 to .260?

Re: Re-Barrel Accuracy International?

Why do you want a smith to do it? I bought the barrel changing kit and a 260 barrel from AINA and changed my 308 to 260 last Sunday. Took me about 30 min. I had never done it before but followed the directions. The reason I bought the AI is so I could change the barrels out myself.

Hopefully others will chime in.

I thought the kit was quite pricey am I wrong?

You'd have to call Stacey to confirm, but I was under the impression that AI was repricing the change kit to make the "switch barrel" capability more marketable.

If not, you can piece one together yourself, it's pretty simple:
AI action wrench from Thunderbeast arms: $250 http://thunderbeastarms.com/aiwrench.php (you can also use a Badger m2008 wrench if you find one used in the fs forum)
barrel vise: $100-250
Forster go/no-go gauges: $50

AINA is in the NE (VA). Give stacey a call.

For the kit, a good quality torque wrench capable of 100 ftlb (get something with 120 capable as they are not as accurate at the top and bottom 20% of their range), a thunderbeast arms action wrench, a go and no-go headspace gauges for 308 (works for 260, 243, 308, 7-08 etc), a good barrel vise (I use a cheap davidson from Sinclair and pad it with leather), and a breaker bar. Should come out to less then 600$ and do the job fine. As for how to do it, there are two vids out on net I learned from. I believe Tom Irwin did one as a demo for the AW product line I watched on YouTube.

Edit to add: for the AE you will need an inch pound capable wrench as well to remove and retorque the action into the chassis.

I thought the price of the kit was high but shipping and smithwork adds up over time. The kit will pay for itself. Stacey will be glad to talk to you about it. Eric at AINA helped my time my muzzle brake. Everything was very easy to set up. That to me was worth the price of the AI AE Mk II and the kit.

Feel free to call, pm or email me for a quote on the barrel and barrel change kit. You can do it yourself and if you have questions, I will walk you through the procedure on the phone the first time as needed. If you would prefer for us to change the barrel, that is offered as well.