• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reaching out to 1500 (edit:1763) yards and excited about the results.

Well the weather has not been very good here lately. Went out to re-zero at 100 yards. Starting out it was 30 degrees with a 10mph wind at 12 o'clock. By noon the wind picked up to 18-20 mph with 30+ mph gusts at 2 o'clock, so I didn't stretch it out past 100 yards.

I zeroed with my go to load 220gr ELDX, 75.8gr H1000 with ES:14, SD:5 and average 2858fps. I then shot my new load using 220gr scenars, 75.6gr H1000 with a ES: 17, SD: 5 average 2888fps. I have set both loads 0.015" off the lands. Im able to run them 0.184" over max coal and achieve higher speeds than a sami spec chamber.. closer to a 300PRC than a standard 300WM. The scenars shot 1.875" high and 0.750" to the right. But man did they shoot good. Im looking forward to running the scenars out to 1k yards and further. Im able to achieve higher speeds and good accuracy. I hope they continue to do good.
I will have to work my way to 500 yards first and see if my 4dof app match up to actual data.

On a side note my off barrel magnetospeed mount is working great. Wish I would have made the mount sooner.

I would also like to thank everyone who has commented on this post. I will take all of the help and advice I can get.

Edit:eek:ver max coal from 0.224" to 0.184"
20201220_103622.jpg
20201220_112134.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if the 300WM will outperform the 300PRC loading outside "normal" length. How much more powder are you able to pack in before pressure signs?

What's the OAL at +.224?

I wonder if the 300WM will outperform the 300PRC loading outside "normal" length. How much more powder are you able to pack in before pressure signs?

What's the OAL at +.224?
I started showing pressure signs (light ejector marks)at 77.1gr H1000 shooting 220gr ELDX at 2925fps. I really haven't pushed the scenars. I did a load test 0.1gr increments from 75.5 to 76.0gr and had good results at 75.6gr. Im sure I could go up but its shooting good where its at. I think I'm able to get more speed out of the scenars due to not having as much bearing surface in the rifling. See attached picture of the 220gr ELDX next to the scenar.
With the eldx my coal is 3.524" where book max coal is 3.340" I miss spoke saying 0.224" over max. Im running 0.184" over max. I will edit my previous post to show that.
20201220_141330.jpg

Reactions: Smittiac
So basically doing this you upgraded 300WM to almost identical 300PRC data, the 300WM is such a kick ass cartridge and the bullets now are giving it hope still. Makes me happy.

So basically doing this you upgraded 300WM to almost identical 300PRC data, the 300WM is such a kick ass cartridge and the bullets now are giving it hope still. Makes me happy.
I purchased the rifle from the PX with only 20 rounds down the tube. It was set up for 215gr or heavier bullets. The original owner thinks that he had it chambered with 0.200" freebore. Which matches up with my seating depth. I am still in the process of building a 300PRC but also have a 9 twist barrel blank on order for my 300WM that I will have chambered the the same. I love shooting this rifle.
The only upgrade I see going to the PRC, is better case design.

Shot new years eve and decided to try and shoot out to a mile on a 20"x20" target. I had recently re-zeroed at 100 yards and then stretched out to 1000 yards over the Christmas break. I did not true up my software like a dumbass and when I shot out to 1763 yards I was way off the mark. I was also having a hell of a time seeing where I was hitting in the snow. I was about to give up after not seeing 5 shots. I then went through my notes in my field book and made some adjustments. I was way high (2.4 mills)and my wind hold was about a mill off. Once I adjusted i was able to spot my misses and make additional adjustments. I finally had my first hit on the tenth shot. Pretty cool. I shot another 10 shots with 6 more hits. One was right on the lower right edge of the plate and could be considered a miss? Still pretty cool, but I still have a long way to go.
20201231_161850.jpg

20201231_160142.jpg
20201231_171721.jpg

Shot new years eve and decided to try and shoot out to a mile on a 20"x20" target. I had recently re-zeroed at 100 yards and then stretched out to 1000 yards over the Christmas break. I did not true up my software like a dumbass and when I shot out to 1763 yards I was way off the mark. I was also having a hell of a time seeing where I was hitting in the snow. I was about to give up after not seeing 5 shots. I then went through my notes in my field book and made some adjustments. I was way high (2.4 mills)and my wind hold was about a mill off. Once I adjusted i was able to spot my misses and make additional adjustments. I finally had my first hit on the tenth shot. Pretty cool. I shot another 10 shots with 6 more hits. One was right on the lower right edge of the plate and could be considered a miss? Still pretty cool, but I still have a long way to go.View attachment 7517910
View attachment 7517908View attachment 7517909

(y)
You did it honestly in less than prime conditions and not van sized target.
Bravo.

Reactions: JBarton
Hell yeah dude! Awesome view to go along with it as well. I hope to join the mile plus club soon as well, just ordered a spotting scope finally.

Hell yeah dude! Awesome view to go along with it as well. I hope to join the mile plus club soon as well, just ordered a spotting scope finally.
I need a spotting scope. Going to finish my 300PRC build first. I am going to also purchase a hit indicator like the magnetospeed.

Dang man!! When I was ready for my mile I put 5 rounds down and only came out with two impacts. That target is a work of art.

Picked up a couple pieces of 1/4" wellerclad ar plate from work. Can't beat free. Picked up a 29"x29", 21"x21" and a piece of scrap. Want to get some paint on them today so I can go shooting out to a mile again. With the snow I am going to obviously avoid white but was wondering what colors I should use? I might just stick to what I've been using. Any help would be appreciated.
I've also purchased a magnetospeed strike indicator. Should have it next week sometime. Im looking forward to running it.
20210108_171732.jpg

Very cool! I'm doing the same, but my spot is a 2hr drive, so I end up going ~once a month. Got to 1565 last time out. Couldn't hit it with 10 rounds of 308, but got a 2nd round hit with my 300 RUM, holding 1.6 mils wind. My largest steel is a 12" round, and spotting misses at that range is difficult. Need a setup like yours... 308 is running 2640 fps with a 208 eld-m, and the RUM is 3140 with a 225 eld-m. Amazing the difference in difficulty. The RUM at 900 is like the 308 at 450. Your WM probably splits the difference. Love this hobby!

I have been working on fundamentals and shooting better since this spring. I purchased a custom 300WM from the PX and soon after I bought a Bergara HMR B14 Wilderness in 6.5 creedmoor. I also started down the reloading path later this summer. Im hooked and want more.
I have managed to put 2500 rounds downrange mostly at 500 yards and under, working on the basics. I've been able to dial in my loads for both rifles and am consistently shooting under 1/2 moa 5 round groups off of the bench. I am sure I have some bad habits with no guidance or critique.
I have recently been working on prone shooting past 500 yards with great success. I started at 750 yards on a 11x12 plate and moved out to 966 yards in the wonderful Wyoming wind. A couple weekends ago I pushed out to 1110 yards and managed a 1st round hit followed up with 11 out of 15 on target with my 300WM shooting 220gr ELDX at 2858fps. Target size again is 11x12 inches. I am not doing so good with my 6.5 creedmoor past 1k but have been pretty happy with the results. Im shooting 140gr hornady match bthp at 2740fps with about a 75% hit rate. Man does the wind push that 140gr bullet around.
Last weekend I made a 20x20 inch ar plate target and shot both my 300WM and 6.5 at 1110 yards Saturday with awesome results. No real wind this past weekend helped im sure. Sunday I stretched out to 1500 yards with my 300WM and I made a second round impact. The 300WM made 3 hits on the first 5 shot string. I made some minor adjustments and put 5 out of 5 on target. I was pretty excited. I drove down and verified my hits (no spotting scope or spotter) and sure as shit i had 8 hits on the target. By then it was getting late so I only had time to shoot one more 5 round string with 5 more hits on target. Totally satisfied with the results for sure.
Am I reaching the limits of my 300WM? My goal is 1 mile with it.
Im building a 300PRC with a 2k yard goal but probably won't have it built until spring.
On a side note. I don't think the 6.5cm is doing me any good past 1k. Maybe with some training and more rounds down range I could squeeze a little more out of it.

See pictures of my hits at 1500 yards below.
View attachment 7495923View attachment 7495925
View attachment 7495933
Great shooting! I would hang that in my living room! :cool:

Very cool! I'm doing the same, but my spot is a 2hr drive, so I end up going ~once a month. Got to 1565 last time out. Couldn't hit it with 10 rounds of 308, but got a 2nd round hit with my 300 RUM, holding 1.6 mils wind. My largest steel is a 12" round, and spotting misses at that range is difficult. Need a setup like yours... 308 is running 2640 fps with a 208 eld-m, and the RUM is 3140 with a 225 eld-m. Amazing the difference in difficulty. The RUM at 900 is like the 308 at 450. Your WM probably splits the difference. Love this hobby!
I purchased a magnetospeed hit indicator and tested it out yesterday at 1k. It works great so far. It should help at a mile as long as I can see where my misses hit to make corrections. The wind is the hardest part, especially here in Wyoming. It was blowing between 15-20 mph yesterday. I was having to time my shots between gusts.

Awesome - yes, wind reading is everything. Cartridge and projectile selection helps a lot, but building the skill to read the wind extends practical range. How did you fare in that wind yesterday at 1K, hit-percentage-wise on what sized target?

Awesome - yes, wind reading is everything. Cartridge and projectile selection helps a lot, but building the skill to read the wind extends practical range. How did you fare in that wind yesterday at 1K, hit-percentage-wise on what sized target?
It actually was a good day. I was using my 21x21 target. Missed my first shot with the 300WM because I am a dumbass and dialed left instead of right for the wind. I dialed 1.6 mil right and 6.5 up shooting 220gr ELDX at 2858fps and had 9 hits out of 10 shots. I was shooting with a kid from work so I didn't shoot as much as I normally do by myself. I had 13 hits out of 15 shots shooting my 6.5cm running hornady bthp at 2740fps. Dialed up 9.1 and right 2.8 to get on target. Overall a good day. We wrapped it up early due to the wind picking up. We saw gusts in the 40 mph range in the afternoon and it hasn't died down much since.

^Some good numbers especially out of the little Creed w/ 13/15 and dialing that much! I've been holding wind lately instead of dialing - not sure if I have a preference, but would alleviate the first round problem you had...

I have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

I had to learn just about everything to do with reloading and long range shooting online. It can be really tough and confusing at times but it is worth it, keep at it. Don't trust everything you read. Snipers Hide is one of the better forums for sure. The benchrest shooters and ELR are the guys you really need to listen to when it comes to the reloading. Those guys' posts can almost be painful to read but they know what they are doing for sure.

In WY wind you will learn quickly that it may be 12mph at the surface but 30' off the ground it might be 22mph. This will mess with you when shooting across draws. A lot of times I shoot during steady peak wind as it can be easier to predict and more consistent. Pretty cool that there are 4 guys from WY in this thread. I'm on the left side of the Snowies.
I need a spotting scope. Going to finish my 300PRC build first. I am going to also purchase a hit indicator like the magnetospeed.
I would strongly suggest getting a spotting scope that has a reticle in mils. I wish my scope had a reticle so shooter and spotter can communicate better.

Neon green paint stands out phenomenally well against almost any natural background. Hunter orange on snow would also pop.

Neon green paint stands out phenomenally well against almost any natural background. Hunter orange on snow would also pop.
I got away from the florescent orange and went with regular orange paint. So far its working out.
20210111_141220.jpg

Last edited:
Beyond terrific shooting! That is impressive, your hard work and preparation paid off, as well as your focus on the basics.
I am jealous, but not the hateful kind of jealous.

I’ve enjoyed your thread and progress. Here in the winter we get a lot of flat grey light days with “white on white” target/snow backgrounds. A light tan (desert sand) color or stripe the target edges with orange seems to work. Keep shooting and good luck on your journey.
D1AEDCD4-5066-481E-96C8-868D1A9898C3.jpeg

I’ve enjoyed your thread and progress. Here in the winter we get a lot of flat grey light days with “white on white” target/snow backgrounds. A light tan (desert sand) color or stripe the target edges with orange seems to work. Keep shooting and good luck on your journey.
View attachment 7537092
Thank you.

This is a great thread nice work! Yesterday afternoon a buddy put down a string of shots that was pretty awesome to watch quite fun spotting. Sea level, gusty from 2-10 mph quartering off our backs. Buddy grabs his 6.5 and proceeds to walk out first round dead center IPSC hits at 1k, 1200 and then at a mile a first round hit smidge under .4mil low and .4mil left at corner edge and shot 3 was maybe smidge under .2 low and .2 left of dead center. The mile target he was shooting at is 48x48 with a 10" bullseye. He was all 'meh yea' I'm back on the spotting scope saying dayum!

Last edited:
This is a great thread nice work! Yesterday afternoon a buddy put down a string of shots that was pretty awesome to watch quite fun spotting. Sea level, gusty from 2-10 mph quartering off our backs. Buddy grabs his 6.5 and proceeds to walk out first round dead center IPSC hits at 1k, 1200 and then at a mile a first round hit smidge under .4mil low and .4mil left at corner edge and shot 3 was maybe smidge under .2 low and .2 left of dead center. The mile target he was shooting at is 48x48 with a 10" bullseye. He was all 'meh yea' I'm back on the spotting scope saying dayum!
Thanks. It has been a challenge and I still have a lot to learn. But it has definitely been a fun experience. Im going out again tomorrow to see how I do at 1k, 1500 and 1 mile. My magnetospeed hit indicator will be put to the test. I will post my results.

Made it out yesterday. The weather was great. 31 degrees 3-4mph wind and sunny. Can't beat that.
I set up and verified my range again at 1763 yards. I forgot my off barrel magnetospeed mount and of course the rounds I had loaded were off a new lot of powder which were a little slower. I wound up having to go from 16.7mrad to 17.1mrad before I was able to get on target, a total of about 25.2". Im still having a hard time spotting my misses and its time to upgrade my optic. That is definitely my weakest part mechanically. I need better glass.
All in all it was a solid day. 14 hits out of 20 shots on a 29"x27" target. The magnetospeed hit indicator does help but I still need better glass and a good spotting scope.
I've been looking at the Bushnell xrs ii at midway for a little over 1k. Not sure i like the reticle. My next choice is a cronus btr gen 2. Think I'm going to save a little more and get the cronus.
I also just received my new barrel for my 300PRC build. Proof ss 5 groove 9 twist. Should be able to finish it at 28". The better optic will probably go on that build.
Time, money and practice.

I'm envious. Wish I was back home in WY and shooting a mile with my new rifle (dialed in a load and went straight to work), but I'm at work in this horrible place that they call Colorado. A big slab style muzzle break is critical in spotting your hits and misses. If you can set up with the sun at your back you can even sometimes see the actual bullet in flight. Muzzle breaks are key, especially if you don't have a spotter or your spotter is old and half blind.

Reactions: Runnineh
I'm envious. Wish I was back home in WY and shooting a mile with my new rifle (dialed in a load and went straight to work), but I'm at work in this horrible place that they call Colorado. A big slab style muzzle break is critical in spotting your hits and misses. If you can set up with the sun at your back you can even sometimes see the actual bullet in flight. Muzzle breaks are key, especially if you don't have a spotter or your spotter is old and half blind.
I've got a asr muzzle brake on my 300WM and it works well. My biggest issue currently is glass quality. Ive been running a Strike Eagle on it but out past a thousand yards it starts to show its downfalls. I just bought a Bushnell xrs ii off Midway and will probably put the Strike eagle on my 6.5cm. I tend to shoot it at 1000 yards and under where my 300WM gets more use past that. Im excited to try out the new scope when it arrives next week.

I've got a asr muzzle brake on my 300WM and it works well. My biggest issue currently is glass quality. Ive been running a Strike Eagle on it but out past a thousand yards it starts to show its downfalls. I just bought a Bushnell xrs ii off Midway and will probably put the Strike eagle on my 6.5cm. I tend to shoot it at 1000 yards and under where my 300WM gets more use past that. Im excited to try out the new scope when it arrives next week.
I'm literally watching USPS guy come down my street as I finish up a conference call.....rifle already set up and ready for it's new XRS II fresh from Midway.....will shoot it Wednesday.

Enjoy - that's a helluva deal on the XRS II - wish I needed more glass - maybe I should upgrade a 22lr....

Setting 12" steel at a mile tomorrow - pray to the wind gods!

Enjoy - that's a helluva deal on the XRS II - wish I needed more glass - maybe I should upgrade a 22lr....

Setting 12" steel at a mile tomorrow - pray to the wind gods!
Hopefully the wind works in your favor. I struggled the other day without wind and on a larger target. Once my new scope comes in I won't have any more excuses. Im sure most if it is me.
I need to shoot with someone who can point out what I'm doing wrong. Im sure that I have a few bad habits that need to be corrected.

Great thread! the 300wm is such an underrated cartridge-glad to see you reaping the benefits! I would encourage you to try some 215Hybrids, your groups with the 220's look great, but what I think you will find is an even more consistent flight with the Bergers. I'll bring some along if we meet up for you to try.

Great thread! the 300wm is such an underrated cartridge-glad to see you reaping the benefits! I would encourage you to try some 215Hybrids, your groups with the 220's look great, but what I think you will find is an even more consistent flight with the Bergers. I'll bring some along if we meet up for you to try.
That would be great. I will probably try the berger bullets when I rebarrel my win mag.

Glass is a vital component.
Great glass makes a shooter's life so much easier.
Hope you enjoy your new scope.
Nothing wrong with the .300WM.
I personally think that people perform best with what they like best.
Enjoy!👍

Hopefully the wind works in your favor. I struggled the other day without wind and on a larger target. Once my new scope comes in I won't have any more excuses. Im sure most if it is me.
I need to shoot with someone who can point out what I'm doing wrong. Im sure that I have a few bad habits that need to be corrected.

I floated 3 in at some rocks near the target to get "on" - then let 7 fly. Went 5/7 on ~25" X 30" painted cardboard box @ what turned out to be 1785 according to Sig - put some rocks in the bottom to keep it steady :LOL: . Spot was over the second hill on the light colored grassy area - no splash, so I shot 7 and had no idea until I retrieved the target. 300 RUM 225 eld-m @ 3140. BC was off at that range and I needed 0.5 more mils elevation, but it's perfect for everything inside 1200.

PXL_20210206_215808128.jpgPXL_20210206_183641397.jpg

I floated 3 in at some rocks near the target to get "on" - then let 7 fly. Went 5/7 on ~25" X 30" painted cardboard box @ what turned out to be 1785 according to Sig - put some rocks in the bottom to keep it steady :LOL: . Spot was over the second hill on the light colored grassy area - no splash, so I shot 7 and had no idea until I retrieved the target. 300 RUM 225 eld-m @ 3140. BC was off at that range and I needed 0.5 more mils elevation, but it's perfect for everything inside 1200.

View attachment 7548848View attachment 7548849
Thats awesome.

Dude. This is great shooting.

It's sort of like the guy who picks up a baseball for the first time...and throws a 96mph fast ball right into the strike zone then turns around and asks "Is that good?"

Tons of knowledge here and on some of the forums. You just have to know who to listen to. You are doing awesome.

I've put my strike eagle on my Bergara HMR B14 6.5cm and my new Bushnell xrs ii on my 300WM with pmr medium height rings last week. It has been pretty crappy here weather wise but I was able to get both rifles zeroed at 100 yards this past Saturday. I was hoping the wind would die down some Sunday so I could stretch out and really look through my Bushnell but wasn't able. We had max gusts at 56 mph. See screen shot before the wind picked up. Overall I like it and the H59 reticle. Shooting with it out to a mile is where I'm hoping it will shine. I plan on getting out this weekend and will post my results and how the new scope works. I want some decent weather.
Screenshot_20210221-141439_AccuWeather.jpg

Holy smokes that is some wind! FYI I've had my XRS II out 4x now and I'm in love just amazing. Not only b/c I can dial out so much further with no elevation holds, but the center dot reticle is so nice wasn't sure how I'd like it, but do.

Holy smokes that is some wind! FYI I've had my XRS II out 4x now and I'm in love just amazing. Not only b/c I can dial out so much further with no elevation holds, but the center dot reticle is so nice wasn't sure how I'd like it, but do.
I like and prefer the center dot. My strike eagle has one along with my Bushnell. I wasn't sure about it before I used it but it makes a difference. What reticle did you go with? I picked the H59 over the G3 and tremor reticle. The solid cross hair on the G3 was a no go and the tremor reticle was a little bit to busy for me. I was worried the H59 would be to busy but its not.
I'm hoping the wind stays under 20 mph this weekend so I can run my Bushnell out to a mile. I will keep my fingers crossed. It is Wyoming so you never know.

I like and prefer the center dot. My strike eagle has one along with my Bushnell. I wasn't sure about it before I used it but it makes a difference. What reticle did you go with? I picked the H59 over the G3 and tremor reticle. The solid cross hair on the G3 was a no go and the tremor reticle was a little bit to busy for me. I was worried the H59 would be to busy but its not.
I'm hoping the wind stays under 20 mph this weekend so I can run my Bushnell out to a mile. I will keep my fingers crossed. It is Wyoming so you never know.
I did the H59. Buddy has ATACR with Tremor and entirely too busy for me. Hope to get my mile on tmrw morning as well.

Those tremor wind dots are great at obscuring small hits at distance.
Here’s my reticle at 1793 yards
Target is 1.1 right and .6 up from center.
6C5374BE-6439-47B5-B93D-1EB1BF909287.jpeg

Those tremor wind dots are great at obscuring small hits at distance.
Here’s my reticle at 1793 yards
Target is 1.1 right and .6 up from center.
View attachment 7565686
How on earth do you get pics through a phone? I've tried and tried can never get clear. Do you keep your phone on 1x or zoom in? The focus never settles down it's constantly adjusting so pics look horrible.