• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Reading the reticle

BBURCH

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
South Caroilna
I'm thinking about getting a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 with the EBR-1 MOA reticle in it.
I have been trying to figure out how to use the numbers and tick marks in the scope before I buy one and have a bunch of lines that I can't use and are just in the way.
I'm not really understanding how to use them from the way the company explained it.

Any help you guys can give me would be great.
Somewhere else to go and read more about that type would be great.

So if you view a 10" target at 100 yds you FOV will show 10MOA and if you view a 10" target at 200yds your FOV will show 5MOA.
With a MOA reticle 1" = 1MOA @ 100yds, 10" = 10MOA @ 100yds

Where are you in SC?

I might be able to help you out.

Assuming you are going to dial for your drop at various yardages according to your drop data, watch where your bullet impacts in relation to that bunch of lines you are concerned about. This will tell you where you need to dial or hold for you to be able to hit your target on your next shot, if you didn't hit it on your first shot.

Think of the reticle as a ruler. Just read the ruler. Don't confuse yourself with trying to make the MOA into a linear measurement like inches. No need.

Those little marks in the scope are the same as what you dial on. The small marks coming out from the center are 2 MOA until after 10 MOA on the horizontal where they go to 5 MOA. Just learn to break down the reticle. halfway between the 2 MOA marks is 1 MOA. Halfway between that 1 MOA and the 2 MOA is .5 MOA. There are no marks but with practice you can learn where you need to hold to make shots using the reticle.

sub_pst_f_6-24x50_ebr1_moa.jpg

And to confuse matters more - check out this Hensoldt horus reticle...I know they're very functional for experienced shooters to hold both wind & distance. But, dam this thing appears really confusing for a new long range shooter like myself.:eek:

HENSOLDT-ZF-4-16x56-FF-Rifle-Scope-Illuminated-1st-Image-Plane-Horus-37-Reticle-10139090-Pic3.jpg

And to confuse matters more - check out this Hensoldt horus reticle...I know they're very functional for experienced shooters to hold both wind & distance. But, dam this thing appears really confusing for a new long range shooter like myself.:eek:

Most experienced shooters prefer a reticle other than the Horus, the Horus reticle is actually very well suited for new shooters, but it can also confuse new and experienced alike. Rob nailed it, try not to think of MOA as inches or how many clicks, etc.

Kirk R