• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Real world accuracy of the Mosin

Swift

Chief Bagel Technician
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I know they're not half minute shooters, but it was certainly accurate enough for Vasily to do what he did. In a real world situation with ammo dug out of an old bunker in Siberia, a sling that reeks of vodka and disappointment and a bayonet stained with blood, how well can a Mosin perform? I haven't been behind mine in a long time but I would be happy to see 2.5-3" groups at 100.

What about the ballistics of the 7.62 Russian round? Is there even a calculated BC since most (if not all) of it is milsurp? How about maximum effective range?

Re: Real world accuracy of the Mosin

Any Mosin with a dicent barrel will be a shooter, ASSUMING, the shooter takes the time to learn how to shoot it.

As a CMP GSM Master Instructor, I only know the rifle "as issue".

It's a bit different then other "as issued vintage military rifles".

A quick exampe that comes to mind is: The proper way to shoot rapid fire is NOT TO TAKE THE RIFLE FROM THE SHOULDER when you work the bolt. Not easy to do as the straight bolt handle is a bit farther forward then most military rifles, at least for the average person.

It's a trick to learn to use the stripper clips on the Mosin, but once learned, its almost as fast as the stripper clips for the '03 or 1917 Enfield. Tons of dry fire makes the bolt as smoot as a prom queens thighs.

Most Mosins shoot high. Some say its because they were designed to be used with the bayonet installed, some say it was because the Russian soldier is taught to aim for the belt buckle, I don't know if either is right or wrong, I only know that I don't want my rifle to shoot high, plus the CMP doesn't allow bayonets to be used on rifles in their Vintage Rifle Games.

It's a simple fix, while keeping the rifle in "as issued" condition per CMP Rules.

Simply measure the sight radius. Divide 3600 (100 yards times 12 inches) by that sight radius. The answer you get is how much the sight has to be moved per inch at 100 yards. Just off the top of my head I came up with .0061. My rifle shot 8 inches high when set on the 100 yard mark (I don't know if the russians used yards or not, I do). I figured 8 X .0061 was .0488.

I took the rear sight off the rifle and flipped it over. I milled .0488 off the bottom of the slider on the ladder sight. Put it back on the rifle. You couldn't tell any modifications was made. It is right on at 100 yards, when set on 200, its on at 200 yards, all the way to 400 yards. ( farthest I can shoot on my range).

Most rifles, with surplus ammo will shoot 3 or less MOA. No problem the X-10 Ring on the CMP 200 yard target is 3.5 inches. The rifle is capable of cleaning the targets used in CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Matches. If you hand load you can use the SMKs (.310) and cut that down quite a bit.

Personaly I use the Serria 150 grn (.310), loaded mild, (44 grns of 4895) its accurate, mild and easy to shoot. More then capable of cleaning the SR1 target. Hard part is doing it standing on your hind legs. Thats were GSM matches are won and lost (same with most matches).

Slug your barrel, pick the bullet that fits your rifle.

Also a 3 MOA Rifle is capable of cleaning the MR1 target (used in the vintage sniper rifle matches) so again its the shooter, not the rifle.

As a side note, with the advent of the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches, Hornady has came up with match 7.62X54R ammo for these matches. I haven't seen them for sale outside of Perry or the Eastern/Western games, but as the Mosin and GSM matches become more popular, I think we'll start seeing the Hornady ammo show up on the shelves.

What I like about the Mosin and CMP GSM games is it doen't take a lot of money to compete and be competitive. Unlike High Power which to be competitive, one has to spend money. With the Mosin, you can take a < $100 rifle, surplus ammo, and be competitive. CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Shooting is not a rich man's sport. If one is willing to put in the effort to learn to shoot the rifle, he/she can be competitive.

I'd like to mention something else about the Mosin.

Since I've retied, and no longer shoot for the Guard, I shoot for fun, don't care if I win or not, I figured if I have fun, I'm winning.

So Regarding the Mosin, get a 1895 Nagant Revolver, (another $100 gun) and enter a Multi gun match using the Mosin and the Nagant Revolver, you wont win, but I guarentee you'll have a ball.

Where I shoot pistol, they have muliti or two gun matches, Cost $5 bucks to enter, $3 bucks for a second gun. I enjoy shooting the M1 Carbine & USGI 1911a1 and pay for a second gun using the Mosin and Nagant.

I don't have a Moisin (yet
wink.gif
) but always hankered after one.

There was a lad shooting a couple of lanes down from me on Saturday with a 44 Carbine - certainly the loudest rifle on the lin!

But what really got my attention was the flash I kept seeing out of the corner of my eye....thought he'd bought a flame thrower!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a Moisin (yet
wink.gif

There was a lad shooting a couple of lanes down from me on Saturday with a 44 Carbine - certainly the loudest rifle on the lin!

But what really got my attention was the flash I kept seeing out of the corner of my eye....thought he'd bought a flame thrower! </div></div>

Yeah those carbines have short barrels that throw one of the largest and brightest flames I've seen come out of a rifle. Youtube it and you'll find a bunch of people doing it at night. Really cool stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any Mosin with a dicent barrel will be a shooter, ASSUMING, the shooter takes the time to learn how to shoot it.

As a CMP GSM Master Instructor, I only know the rifle "as issue".

It's a bit different then other "as issued vintage military rifles".

A quick exampe that comes to mind is: The proper way to shoot rapid fire is NOT TO TAKE THE RIFLE FROM THE SHOULDER when you work the bolt. Not easy to do as the straight bolt handle is a bit farther forward then most military rifles, at least for the average person.

It's a trick to learn to use the stripper clips on the Mosin, but once learned, its almost as fast as the stripper clips for the '03 or 1917 Enfield. Tons of dry fire makes the bolt as smoot as a prom queens thighs.

Most Mosins shoot high. Some say its because they were designed to be used with the bayonet installed, some say it was because the Russian soldier is taught to aim for the belt buckle, I don't know if either is right or wrong, I only know that I don't want my rifle to shoot high, plus the CMP doesn't allow bayonets to be used on rifles in their Vintage Rifle Games.

It's a simple fix, while keeping the rifle in "as issued" condition per CMP Rules.

Simply measure the sight radius. Divide 3600 (100 yards times 12 inches) by that sight radius. The answer you get is how much the sight has to be moved per inch at 100 yards. Just off the top of my head I came up with .0061. My rifle shot 8 inches high when set on the 100 yard mark (I don't know if the russians used yards or not, I do). I figured 8 X .0061 was .0488.

I took the rear sight off the rifle and flipped it over. I milled .0488 off the bottom of the slider on the ladder sight. Put it back on the rifle. You couldn't tell any modifications was made. It is right on at 100 yards, when set on 200, its on at 200 yards, all the way to 400 yards. ( farthest I can shoot on my range).

Most rifles, with surplus ammo will shoot 3 or less MOA. No problem the X-10 Ring on the CMP 200 yard target is 3.5 inches. The rifle is capable of cleaning the targets used in CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Matches. If you hand load you can use the SMKs (.310) and cut that down quite a bit.

Personaly I use the Serria 150 grn (.310), loaded mild, (44 grns of 4895) its accurate, mild and easy to shoot. More then capable of cleaning the SR1 target. Hard part is doing it standing on your hind legs. Thats were GSM matches are won and lost (same with most matches).

Slug your barrel, pick the bullet that fits your rifle.

Also a 3 MOA Rifle is capable of cleaning the MR1 target (used in the vintage sniper rifle matches) so again its the shooter, not the rifle.

As a side note, with the advent of the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches, Hornady has came up with match 7.62X54R ammo for these matches. I haven't seen them for sale outside of Perry or the Eastern/Western games, but as the Mosin and GSM matches become more popular, I think we'll start seeing the Hornady ammo show up on the shelves.

What I like about the Mosin and CMP GSM games is it doen't take a lot of money to compete and be competitive. Unlike High Power which to be competitive, one has to spend money. With the Mosin, you can take a < $100 rifle, surplus ammo, and be competitive. CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle Shooting is not a rich man's sport. If one is willing to put in the effort to learn to shoot the rifle, he/she can be competitive.

</div></div>

Wow, thanks for all the info. I didn't know there were matches for these types of rifles, nor did I know you could handload em, and I certainly didn't know about the sights and how to bring em back to the proper adjustments. I'm gonna see if any places around here host em.

There are lots of GSM matches and Clinics in your part of the country.

I would recommend a clinic first, Taught by CMP GSM Master Instructors

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchUpcomingSearch.cgi

Then the Matches

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchUpcomingSearch.cgi

Lots of clubs put on Clinics followed by a match.

Browse the CMP website, you'll find lots of information on Vintage Military Rifle shooting, tips 'n such.

Vintage rifles matches are fun, cheap to compete and best of all you'll meet great people with simular interest.

Before you know it you'll have a rack full of old military rifles and other gear.

Well heres my on going Mosin project...
My quest to make a "stock looking" pseudo mosin sniper shoot 1 moa. I made the mount from an sks mount and a random side mount with 1" rings welded together, Cheap Tasco scope for testing. I also cut,bent, welded, and blued the bolt handle. Target was shot at 50yds with surplus ammo. It has been bedded, shimmed, free floated ect. The quest continues.........
HPIM0798.jpg

HPIM0810.jpg

HPIM0803.jpg

i have a m44 that has been sportrized. it is a fun toy and shoots a foot long flame out the end!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a Moisin (yet
wink.gif

But what really got my attention was the flash I kept seeing out of the corner of my eye....thought he'd bought a flame thrower! </div></div>

Yeah those carbines have short barrels that throw one of the largest and brightest flames I've seen come out of a rifle. Youtube it and you'll find a bunch of people doing it at night. Really cool stuff. </div></div>

I've posted it before, but since it seems fitting...

Here's a picture that I took at night a couple of years back with my dad shooting. The ammo used was surplus 110gr FMJ stuff that was developed for MG use in the siege of Stalingrad. Pistol bullet jacket full of wax... makes for some great fireballs.

P2134906.JPG

I changed the ISO for this picture when I took a few shots, it gave better definitiion in the flames but smaller fireballs.

P2134908.JPG

More on topic, I still have a 1938 DOM MN91/30 that I shoot with 311 diameter Hornady bullets for the 303 Enfield. With mild loads of BLC-2 it will shoot 2" off the bench.

When you load up that case to its honest potential you have almost a 30-06 at full chat. The round is very capable and the receivers are very strong.

Mounting a scope and a solid barrel to a trued up action can show excellent results, my dad built one into a 22-250 some years ago and it would shoot 50gr Vmax into itty bitty groups at 100 and 200yd. Plenty for killing woodchucks.

Per the bayonet issue. I have M44 that shoots high w/out bayonet extended. Dead nuts at 100 w/ the bayonet extended. Using 203 GN Silver Bear ammo. I swear to god of all my rifles I have the most fun w/ the Mosin. I don't know why but I love it!

With open sights, the Mosin is excellent for deer hunting (or similar sized targets) within about 300 yards. Probably more if you practiced a bit. My M91/30 cost me $90, and it's probably one of the most fun guns I have. A VERY worthwhile investment is a bent bolt. My M91/30 with its bent bolt is smoother than any bolt action I've ever used. The only thing as good is my dad's Tikka.

Careful with ANY modifications to the Mosin (including bent bolt) if you ever intend to compete in CMP GSM Vintage Rifle Matches.

i have just recently been thinking of buying a mosin and this is a ton of stuff i never knew thanks guys for the info.

Hello,

If you visit my sight at www.smith-sights.com, I have a couple articles on Mosin-Nagant accuracy and precision. The Finns use them in a modified form for matches and take their share of trophies.

The biggest problems I have found are the "shooting high" phenomena, and improper bedding.

A long pencil barrel is better bedded with cork or wrapped with oiled felt, and supported by the handguard. Otherwise, they tend to become unpredictable when they heat up.

One should really handload to get the best precision from this rifle, just like modern rifles.

Regards,

Josh

Real world accuracy of the Mosin...
How's right at 1 moa, including the flier, which was me (today).
Take out the flier, the other 4 grouped into .6 moa.
174 grain, .311 SMK's over 43 grains of Varget.

Donor action- a run-of-the-mill, re-arsenaled 91/30 with a crisp bore. Boyd's stock, receiver and pillar bedded, Timney trigger (not in pic), aftermarket FP spring, Vortex Viper on a Weaver Side Mount.

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Real world accuracy of the Mosin...
How's right at 1 moa, including the flier, which was me (today).
Take out the flier, the other 4 grouped into .6 moa.
174 grain, .311 SMK's over 43 grains of Varget.

Donor action- a run-of-the-mill, re-arsenaled 91/30 with a crisp bore. Boyd's stock, receiver and pillar bedded, Timney trigger (not in pic), aftermarket FP spring, Vortex Viper on a Weaver Side Mount.

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0189.jpg
</div></div>

Holy shit! Best shootin Mosin I've seen. Looks good, too. What sparked the inspiration to do this with a Mosin when you could have probably gotten into a similar Savage for just a few bucks more? Honest question, not flaming. Just don't see something like this too often but my wallet has already started hurting and my Mosin has a chubby.

EDIT: Can you give us some details as far as smithing a gun like this? Where did you source the parts? Who did the work? Difficulty? Problems?

Some of them are VERY accurate.

Some of them are NOT very accurate.

LOTS of them have worn out crowns and throats so try to pick the "best."

Since so many countries produced them over such a long time, diameters of their barrels vary.

Yes, Vasiliy's longest kill was just under 800 yards if I am not mistaken.

7.62x54R is right between .308 and 30-06 in the energy department. Maximum effective range? The Russian PKM light machine gun chambered for the same round easily reaches 1,000+ yards with deadly authority.

So find a good one and start reloading. If you can find some 7N Russian Match ammo for it, even better. Finnish Mosin Nagants are still the best in its class, especially with new Sako barrels.

The extra coin that a Finn costs is well worth it if you want to use the thing in CMP matches, if you're going to rework the rifle like Wannashootit did then my route would be to put a 300/308 tube on the rifle so that the bullet options go up.

You'll have to reload instead of shooting factory ammo, and load it like a 308 to start.

You can get Lapua brass for the caliber (or 7.62x53R which is a politically motivated twin from the Scandanavian countries) and the rifles will shoot extremely well.

If you're going to do a bunch of rework to it, then any rack grade, 1930's production rifle would be great to start with.

I have a 1940 Tula that looks like it's been through combat. It has a replacement stock with a few repairs and the shellac was peeling off when I got it. The left side of the rear sight and barrel have a bunch of small dents in the metal from something impacting(guessing that's why they replaced the stock. Basically it looked and shot lot crap when I first got it.

I did a few modifications that didn't tamper with the looks since I'm a purist and want it to look the same. I free floated the barrel except an inch from the end I glued in a small piece of wood to support the end of the barrel. I polished the trigger and got it really crisp. I also polished the areas where the bolt contacts the receiver and cleaned the chamber really well with a 12 gauge brush in an electric drill. That completely eliminated sticky bolt and it opens super smooth now. It shot really high too so I took the front sight post off, removed the old front sight post and put in a piece of welding rod to make the sight taller and now it hits POA.

Now this rifle fairly easily hit clay pigeons at 300 yards with surplus ammo and it looks the same other than refinishing the stock. At 100 yards it used to do 6-8" groups and now it gets 3" or less depending on which surpus I'm using. I can't wait to reload for it and see what it can really do. These old rifles are underestimated, all it takes is a little work(sometimes none) and they can shoot very well.

Bearrr...

Part of the motivation was just hobby-related (I'm trying to learn more about gunsmithing, and this type of minor work is a good way to get my feet wet), and I was intrigued as to what type of accuracy might be wrung out of one of these old actions. They were snipers' weapons seventy years ago...so what results could we get with an "update" with new knowledge and technology?

We all know that a solid bedding job- both receiver and pillars- can literally knock inches off a rifle's groups. When I looked at the Mosin's recoil cross-bolt, I knew that there had to be way too much movement. As part of the bedding job, the recoil block on the bottom of the receiver is set into a solid block of the bedding epoxy (I also did this on another Mosin that I restored to original condition- by cutting off the ends of the cross-bolt as "dummies").

Pillars were cut/drilled from 1/2" round steel stock. The Timney trigger design causes an issue with the pillars- the rear pillar needs to be notched substantially to accomodate the trigger. The Timney was added after the pillars were installed- so it was a real pain notching while it was in the rifle. I had to notch it as shown in the second picture

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

The bent bolt, I made myself... nothing fancy, grade 8 bolt, re-welded the original knob back on with my handy wire-feed welder. A bit of grinding with the dremel to clean it up. Since it was going to be painted (not blued) it was pretty straightforward.

I had never seen the Weaver side mount used on a Mosin. It worked fine- but does result in a VERY low mount. This required my bent bolt to be absolutely as low as possible to clear the rear bell of the Vortex. If I do another, I will probably use the Rock Solid mount. Very good design, just kind of bulky in appearance.

The Boyd's stock required extensive fitting and inletting (so much for 95% done). All of the inletting was off-center. The Timney also requires a ton of inletting as well- so you need to be handy with a Dremel...

Not in the pic, but last thing was to add a Limbsaver Grind-to-Fit pad. I can shoot 100 rounds now with no discomfort whatsoever.

The only thing I really want to do now is chop the barrel to make the rifle more manageable. I know they say it shouldn't affect accuracy...but with it shooting so damn good as it is, I'm reluctant to screw with it!

originally I made this in all blue but recently changed it to silver and blue
it has M39 receiver, Rock solid mount, Sightron S3 scope, LW match barrel, richards microfit stock and I added a side safety timmeny trigger.
P1030460.jpg

DSCN4848.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

IMG_0014-1.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

as for accuracy, it has shot from 1/4 moa to 3/4 MOA, depends on the ammo, I had the barrel made to FIN specs in the bore .311 and chambered in 7.62x54 R

That's pretty cool! Out of all the sporterized Mosins I've seen, that's the only one I like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clay_James</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's pretty cool! Out of all the sporterized Mosins I've seen, that's the only one I like. </div></div>

X2... Beautiful job.
Who made the barrel for you? Custom job- I didn't think there were any commercially available (?)

What's the twist on it- did you keep it the same as the factory barrels?

I'm still droolin...I see Rock Solid uses your rifle on their website
smile.gif

I kept it the same as FIN 39, do not remember off the top of my head but what ever the FN was

yes Ken at RS has my permission to use the build, there should be a PDF some place on his site where I did the entire build

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Oh yea, these things are fireball ready!

Sako M39 was made for Lapua .311 D166 bullets. Sako M28-30 was instead made for Lapua .308 D46 bullets. Both are still available.
Latter rifle was built and used as Civil guards competition rifle before war, and typical accuracy is/was very, very good. Like in my rifle.

In my opinion, Sako M28-30 is best mosin ever. Barrels were .308 cal and basically all match grade, best triggers (improved, short pull), already best sights (same than in Sako M39), best sling, ment for comp shooting. Bolt heads were hand selected and fitted for optimal headspace.

Grazyest part is original iron sight with 150 to 2000m settings. We measured it once with micrometer, did some calculations and compared it to Lapua modern radar data. It was spot on up to 2000 with summertime airpressures, temps and Army ammo summer MV:s. How amazing is that??!

WOW! That IS pretty amazing. Nice rig.
laugh.gif

I get about 2 MOA average. All groups are 1.5-3.5 MOA with mine. Satisfying for such a cheap rifle and cheap ammunition.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get about 2 MOA average. All groups are 1.5-3.5 MOA with mine. Satisfying for such a cheap rifle and cheap ammunition. </div></div>

Is yours the 'sniper version'? I would think beyond 400 meters, a 2MOA rifle might be kind of hard to keep on target, wouldn't it?