• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rear bag .. buyers guide/rear bags 101??

bTanZ

Private
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2014
'The Peoples Republic of NY'
Guys,

Perhaps what i'm looking for is already here and you can point me to it...

I'm getting into precision long(er) range rifles and I'm thinking a rear bag may be a good purchase for both zeroing the rifle & testing the rile (before/after mods. are completed) with the most stable/repeatable platform.

I see 'rabbit ear style bags(Protektor #14A), flat bags(TAB rear bag), wedges(Wedgie), sand fill, shot filled, plastic beed filled(Red Tac Gear), etc., etc....

what are the pros. & cons. of each??
if there isn't already perhaps this could be a "Rear Bags 101" thread??

Thanks!!

I have been fighting with rear bags all year long, and have come to the conclusion you cant have just one.
I started with a compact back bag with ears and a clip on it for using in matches where you have to pack your gear to several different stages. Works alright but isn't quite tall enough in some cases where I am using it with a bipod.
SO I bought a taller bag where unlike the ears on bag one, which are not as big as the top of the bag, the ears on #2 are basically like a V in the entire top of the bag. It's ok but not great and still not tall enough in some apps.
By tall enough think of a scenario where you are setting level with the target below the line of sight. The bag ends up all the way to the toe of the rifle. Conversely, if it is too tall it is no good shooting up a hill.
My next bag will be one of the leather benchrest style bags for using in conjunction with an adjustable benchrest style front rest (for load development, etc.)

I DO know whatever you go with needs to be filled with sand at least if not something heavier. I tried corn meal and other filler and it is not stable enough for fine point accuracy, I guess it might work for just shooting steel.

I would like to try an Accu-Shot monopod some day to see if the adjustability would work across the different types of shooting I do.

For load work and zeroing get a heavy Protektor rabbit ear rear bag. These are great, but just too heavy for toting at a match where you have to move from stage to stage. The other bag you will need will depend solely on what you are planning to do. If you are shooting steel matches where you move a lot, TAB's new 30oz rear bag is perfect. Not too short and not too tall.

No single bag is going to fit every possible scenario. Get one you like and just stick with it and learn to use it and how to adapt with it.

I have a Caldwell small bag with ears and a FTW bag.
Mostly use the FTW now.
Would also like to get something just a bit bigger than the FTW for when bipod is set real high to get over weeds.
I really like the rear shooting bags with hand straps

Yeah you learn a LOT when you are not shooting on a "square" range. On my home range (back yard) I am shooting down into a holler (a big ditch for you Yankees) and the bag is a real issue with the bipod.

I have been thinking about making some bags. Not stuffed too full. So you can "fold" it in half. With Hook or loop on one side. Then make another couple thinner ones that can be stacked as needed. That way I don't end up carrying too much more than needed and have wider range of application. I don't get fashion points so I'm not worried that they don't look polished store bought.

I've seen some guys at matches skip the rear bag and use a little "Y" shaped piece of wood. Some cut from plywood, and some natural from a tree branch. I haven't tried one yet, but in my mind it may not be as solid stable as a bag, but you have some versitality with height by angling the piece of wood.

I too am trying to find the one perfect bag that fits all roles like the kids playhouse (shoot house) at this years Snipers Hide Cup.

what about fill?? Sounds like guys playing in matches that require movement are using plastic (light weight) fill and guys shooting bench rest or doing development/testing are using heavy shot or sand filled bags ... is there anymore to it then that!!

BTW Alpine338 ... I love the play house sniper hide cup thinking! when it becomes an invitational keep me in mind !! :)

I just have my friends give me all their Crown bags. They make great rear bags.

Rifle1.jpg

I bought one of those small cylinder bags from midway and found it to be too small... and I also found I was always sewing seems back up. For the last few years I have been using a black GI issue boot sock filled with 6mm airsoft BB's and that has worked out well. But after seeing a FTW bag I bought one and it is really growing on me. I got a WieBad Tac-Pac as well for positional work and to double as a tall rear bag in the hunting fields when the smaller one would not be enough. It also works well at the range as a front bag when, in a rush, you forget your bipod... Hope I am not the only one that happens to. I was very impressed just how stable it was as a front bag.

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-kit/bags.html

I really like the Gunner's Gear. Nice size and has a good carry strap.

^ was wondering about the monopods myself for ft/r

Bear in mind that monopods arent legal in FTR. As per ICFRA rules, F2.6, "No portion of the rifle’s butt or pistol grip may rest on the ground or on any hard surface."

I assume rules in your particular country have something similar

Last edited:
I have been using the "rabbit ear" style rear bags for a few years and though they work well for some situations, it leaves me wanting to try something different. I am going to order a Triad tapered rear bag "wedgie" and see how I like it.

Are they still in business?

I keep getting an empty page when clicking on old links to their site.

3rd Generation Shooting Supply has them in stock every now and then, so does Sin City Precision (I THINK).

I've got 7, 2 cylindrical of different sizes, a 3 bag set I got at Cabela's, a Caldwell w/ rabbit ears I filled with corn cob polishing media (carries well) and a rabbit ears Protektor filled w/ heavy sand I use for sight-ins & load testing. My front rest is a Harris bipod.

FH

Any guys using the Caldwell rabbit ear style rear bag (Universal Rear Shooting Bags, 3 Sizes |) -or- Protektor (Leather Gun Rests : Protektor Model Company, The Original Leather Rifle and Pistol Rests) what size are you running...small or medium, 13 or 14 A/B ????

I'm starting to think having 2 bags to choose from is really the best solution. One rabbit ear style (Protektor -or- Caldwell) and one more portable style (WieBad Tac-Pac -or- Str8 Laced) is probably the way to go...

My Caldwell is like this back bag
The Rock Shooting Rest and Rear Bag Combo |

I like the TAB gear bag, it works well for the type of shooting that I do, mostly bench with a range that goes uphill.

I think this is one of those things where you just have to buy/try a bunch of different stuff to hone in on what suits you. I've been through a bunch of solutions and what I currently use is:

A small and large Midway cylinder bag that's been restuffed with Fairfield polystyrene beads, and a wiebad tacpad. These together basically weigh nothing and are simply part of my kit. Together, they cover everything I need at matches and practical scenarios.

At the square range though, in a perfect setting, nothing beats an old denim pant leg filled with wholesale millet.

Are they still in business?

I keep getting an empty page when clicking on old links to their site.

She still makes them and 3rd Gen shooting supply and butches reloading supply are the two places that have them when she has time to make them. She is I'm school and works full time from my understanding. You just have to call and get on a list. It however is my favorite bag and I literally have 15-20 other bags that stay in the truck and usually carry two in a match. I do have more than just me shooting (wife and daughter in some cases) but I seem to like the brick style bags for a rear bag. Gives me 3 height levels just by flipping through bag around.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of hard rear bags at all. I want the fill to be loose so I can fine tune my aim just by squeezing the bag. If there's too much fill, like I find with most mass produced bags, I have to squeeze much harder than I want and/or am forced to shift the entire bag around too much.

I've really liked the two rear bags I got from Red Tac Gear. I'll even use the pillow as a front bag off the bench.
Red Tac Gear ? Home

I am absolutely in love with my MOA Systems inflatable bag. It works just like a blood pressure cuff. Easy to adjust and in its deflated state packs small. I don't know why more don't use them. I guess if you puncture it then your screwed so maybe it's not "tactical" enough. But for a weekend warrior Joe Blow like me it's very comfortable and handy.

MOA systems shooting bags

I just placed an order for my 1st bag a Protektor 13A (w/silver ears & heavy sand) for my testing/development 'work' ... i'm now on the fence between a Wiebad Tac-pad -or- Str8 Laced for a portable/go option.

Str8 Laced are back ordered & more expensive then the Wiebad Tac-Pad but otherwise appear to be a similar design.

Has anyone used both ... care to offer a comparo. of the 2 bag designs & fill ???

If the bag will be used for both a rear bag and one under the stock the straight laced is hard to beat. I forget what fill mine are but it's probably a light fill.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried filling their bag with rice? It also makes a great heating pad when placed in the microwave for a couple of minutes.

G5guy