• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rebarreling a Pre-64 Win action. How to?

C Snyder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
OK
I have done several push feed actions but have never done a claw or controled feed action re-barrel. What is the best way to time and chamber with the extractor cut out.

Thanks

Re: Rebarreling a Pre-64 Win action. How to?

I have not done this before either, but I think the technique is to fit the barrel to the action first, then mark and cut for the extractor. Then you can chamber and headspace to the bolt. They make cutters just for the extractor relief. If I were to do one today that is what I would do...

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not done this before either, but I think the technique is to fit the barrel to the action first, then mark and cut for the extractor. Then you can chamber and headspace to the bolt. They make cutters just for the extractor relief. If I were to do one today that is what I would do...

Dave </div></div>

Yes you need to chamber it like any normal gun then mark the barrel for the extractor cut.

What is not evident here is the barrel cone must also be cut and the barrel tightened in place to mark the extractor cut, then reinstalled.